Lua-Website

Thomas Praxl
Hello,

as a part of my studies, i´m going to write an essay about Lua.
But there´s not that much information about it in the internet. So I decided
to build a Lua-Website.
Now I wonder if anyone is interested in that.
First there will be a discussion board, pretty similar to this mailinglist,
but with a structure which gives us a better overview about discussed
topics.
I also thought about tutorials and hints for newbies and advanced users (->
But I would need your help for that, ´cause I´m pretty new to Lua),
translations of the manual to other languages and links to other lua-pages,
if any.
Please feel free to email any suggestions and comments to: [hidden email]
CU

Thomas Praxl

Re: Lua-Website

John Belmonte-3
--- Thomas Praxl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First there will be a discussion board, pretty similar to this
> mailinglist, but with a structure which gives us a better overview
> about discussed topics.
> I also thought about tutorials and hints for newbies and advanced users
> (->But I would need your help for that, ´cause I´m pretty new to Lua),
> translations of the manual to other languages and links to other
> lua-pages, if any.

I recommend, instead of a discussion board, to set up a wiki server for the
Lua community.  Wiki is a system for HTML collaboration.  (There are dozens
of implementations to choose from, and it would be nice project for someone
to write an implementation in Lua.)  It allows anyone to edit any page on
the server, using an easier-than-HTML syntax.  It's more suited to
collecting knowledge in "book form" than having discussions, which should
remain on a mailing list or newsgroup.

Here are a few sites to look at.  It's overwhelming at first, but I've
found it to be an invaluable tool for allowing a group of people to
document what they know.

    * http://c2.com/w2/wiki/
    * http://www.encrypted.net/~jh/moinmoin/moin.cgi/FrontPage

-John

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Re: Lua-Website

Philippe Lhoste-2
John Belmonte wrote:
>I recommend, instead of a discussion board, to set up a wiki server for the
>Lua community.  Wiki is a system for HTML collaboration.  (There are dozens
>of implementations to choose from, and it would be nice project for someone
>to write an implementation in Lua.)  It allows anyone to edit any page on
>the server, using an easier-than-HTML syntax.  It's more suited to
>collecting knowledge in "book form" than having discussions, which should
>remain on a mailing list or newsgroup.

Excellent idea!
I have some interest in the WikiWiki system, and find it quite fascinating.
Need a little cleanup from time to time though, as a newbie can accidentally
delete important informations, or somebody malevolent can do this on purpose.
There is a fallback for this kind of problem, but of course, it must be
repaired manually.

Does anybody know if there is a free webhosting service (like ProHosting or
Virtual Avenue) offering Lua scripting capability? Or tolerant enough to
accept installing it? It would be interesting to play with cgilua. I can do
that on my local site, but it would be frustrating not to use it for real.

Reuben Thomas wrote:
>Fortunately, my coding didn't seem to be too badly affected; my POSIX regexp
>library seems to work nicely.

I hope you will release it as Open Source or freeware. Stop! I just checked
your site again, here they are! Thank you.
Stop again! I have downloaded the file (lua.zip), and found an Epoc executable
and the Lua 4.0 reference manual... Obviously a copy/paste error, I hope you
will correct this... Thank you again.

Actually, even though I am a Lua newbie (I have read the 3.2 manual some
months ago, but I didn't wrote a line since... Lack of time, and perhaps fear
of tags...), I would like to write a HTML pre-processor in Lua. Yes, yet
another one, there a ton of them written in C or Perl (and even one written in
Rexx), but none, of course, meet all my requirements. Plus it would be fun to
do, and very formative!
So I believe your RegEx library will be quite useful here...

BTW, I have read the "How do I write a C function to be called from Lua?"
answer in the Lua FAQ, but it answer only partly to the question, at least in
Win32. So I will formulate it in a different way: How can a standard Lua
program (ie. using the base Lua.exe) calls add-on functions put in a Windows
DLL (made specifically for that, of course)? Is it possible at all? Or must I
have to make a wrapper exe loading the Lua DLLs?
I other words, how do your libraries work? Should we put them in the Lua
project, integrate them to a C program embedding the Lua code, or something
else?

Regards.

¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/
http://philho.multimania.com/
_.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._

Re: Lua-Website

Thomas Praxl

I regret that I don´t have the time to write a WiKi on my own as John
suggested. Therefore I´ll search a bit to find a suitable
WiKi-implementation.
CU

Thomas Praxl

Re: Lua-Website

Thomas Praxl

I found a nice wiki-implementation: swiki. The only inconvenient thing is
that everyone, who wants to edit it, has to SignUp once.
But this swiki gives us more security than most of the others do.
For each topic there´s a history. So if anyone deletes a topic or destroys
it, you can look at the older versions. And there is the possibility to
"roll back" a topic -> this restores an older version.
Swiki has pretty easy syntax and is able to interpret html.

http://people.freenet.de/luaweb

Since I´m out of time, the link to swiki is still missing. But I added one
in the introducing text.
CU

Thomas Praxl

Re: Lua-Website

John Belmonte-3
--- Thomas Praxl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I found a nice wiki-implementation: swiki. The only inconvenient thing is
> that everyone, who wants to edit it, has to SignUp once.
> But this swiki gives us more security than most of the others do.
> For each topic there´s a history. So if anyone deletes a topic or
> destroys
> it, you can look at the older versions. And there is the possibility to
> "roll back" a topic -> this restores an older version.
> Swiki has pretty easy syntax and is able to interpret html.

I didn't know about Swiki.net.  I wouldn't call it a wiki implementation
but rather the "EGroups" for wiki's.  I'm concerned though that they have
no privacy policy posted and require email and home address for edit
permission.  I'd be reluctant to register under those circumstances.

Wiki implementations such as Moin support version history, and even for
those that don't it's enough to just run a backup every day (keeping about
1 week's history).  But Swiki.net is actually hosting for "free" which is
convenient.

-John

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Re: Lua-Website

Thomas Praxl
>I didn't know about Swiki.net.  I wouldn't call it a wiki implementation
>but rather the "EGroups" for wiki's.  I'm concerned though that they have
>no privacy policy posted and require email and home address for edit
>permission.  I'd be reluctant to register under those circumstances.
>
>Wiki implementations such as Moin support version history, and even for
>those that don't it's enough to just run a backup every day (keeping about
>1 week's history).  But Swiki.net is actually hosting for "free" which is
>convenient.
>

>-John

Hi,

I think that privacy-policy-thing is no prob. There´s no spam-mailing and no
one has to specify his real name and e-mail-address.
I would be glad if you joined this swiki.
Thx

Thomas Praxl

Re: Lua-Website

John Belmonte-2
For those interested, I wrote to Swiki.Net about their privacy policy and
this reply came:

Thank you for your interest at swiki.net.  We do not and will not sell or
give your information away to anyone.  In fact, if you do not feel
comfortable giving the information, enter bogus information.  We had
originally intended there to be a pay version of swiki.net (netunify.com)
for which we would need the info for billing and demographic purposes.  To
date we have not even looked at any of the information and I doubt we ever
will.

The one exception to this is your email address.  We do use the email
address to email a link to change your password if you forgot your old
password and to email you if there has been an update to a page on which you
requested to be notified of changes (this is an optional service).

As far as your password goes, we are unable to unencrypt your password even
if we wanted to.  So we can't even email it to you if you forgot it.  We
simply email you a link to change it.

I hope this answers your question.  Please do not hesitate to let us know if
you have any other questions / concerns.

Thanks,

Mike Sheridan
<<<<