Lua Survey Results

Timothy Downs-2
Results:

Windows is the main development platform.
Most Lua code is developed for a desktop platform (rather than game console or server).
C++ is the most used language (with Lua).
Metatables are used slightly more than object systems.
Most people like the __index syntax for metatables.
Coroutines are not often used by most.

The two most common improvements wanted in the next verison of Lua are:
* Mike Pall's coroutine patch.
* More libraries.

I'll upload the detailed results when the number of respondents hits 100 (currently 72).

---

Which operating system do you mainly use in developing using Lua?
Windows 47%
Mac 8%
Unix (inc Linux) 42%
Other 3%

Which setup do you primarily develop Lua code for?
Embedded Device (inc game console) 14%
Desktop 46%
Server (inc web programming) 28%
Other 12%

Which language do you mainly use Lua with?
C 28%
C++ 38%
By itself 29%
Other 6%

How often do you use an object system when writing Lua code?
Always 16%
Often 31%
Sometimes 26%
Rarely 16%
Never 10%

Would you like a particular object system to be canonised (made official), or even included in Lua?
Yes 17%
Maybe 44%
No 39%

How often do you use metatables when writing Lua code?
Always 32%
Often 29%
Sometimes 17%
Rarely 18%
Never 4%

How often do you use coroutines when writing Lua code?
Always 4%
Often 18%
Sometimes 24%
Rarely 31%
Never 24%

Which syntax would you prefer for metatables?
__index__ = ... 4%
__index = ... 56%
_index = ... 1%
index = ... 4%
Don't Know / Not Applicable 35%

---

Timothy Downs

Re: Lua Survey Results

D Burgess-4
So windows users are 20% more likely to answer a survey!

On 2/3/06, Timothy Downs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Results:
>
> Windows is the main development platform.
> Most Lua code is developed for a desktop platform (rather than game
> console or server).
> C++ is the most used language (with Lua).
> Metatables are used slightly more than object systems.
> Most people like the __index syntax for metatables.
> Coroutines are not often used by most.
>
> The two most common improvements wanted in the next verison of Lua are:
> * Mike Pall's coroutine patch.
> * More libraries.
>
> I'll upload the detailed results when the number of respondents hits 100
> (currently 72).
>
> ---
>
> Which operating system do you mainly use in developing using Lua?
> Windows 47%
> Mac 8%
> Unix (inc Linux) 42%
> Other 3%
>
> Which setup do you primarily develop Lua code for?
> Embedded Device (inc game console) 14%
> Desktop 46%
> Server (inc web programming) 28%
> Other 12%
>
> Which language do you mainly use Lua with?
> C 28%
> C++ 38%
> By itself 29%
> Other 6%
>
> How often do you use an object system when writing Lua code?
> Always 16%
> Often 31%
> Sometimes 26%
> Rarely 16%
> Never 10%
>
> Would you like a particular object system to be canonised (made
> official), or even included in Lua?
> Yes 17%
> Maybe 44%
> No 39%
>
> How often do you use metatables when writing Lua code?
> Always 32%
> Often 29%
> Sometimes 17%
> Rarely 18%
> Never 4%
>
> How often do you use coroutines when writing Lua code?
> Always 4%
> Often 18%
> Sometimes 24%
> Rarely 31%
> Never 24%
>
> Which syntax would you prefer for metatables?
> __index__ = ... 4%
> __index = ... 56%
> _index = ... 1%
> index = ... 4%
> Don't Know / Not Applicable 35%
>
> ---
>
> Timothy Downs

RE: Lua Survey Results

Beric Holt
At the risk of sounding stupid.... What is the link to fill out the
survey?

Cheers
Beric

Re: Lua Survey Results

Andras Balogh-4
At the risk of sounding stupid.... What is the link to fill out the
survey?

No worries, I didn't know there was a survey either :)

Andras

Re: Lua Survey Results

Thomas Harning Jr.
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:09:12 +1300
"Beric Holt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At the risk of sounding stupid.... What is the link to fill out the
> survey?
>

> Cheers
> Beric
Yeah, I never saw the survey either.

--
Thomas Harning Jr.
Fortune:

Re: Lua Survey Results

Eduardo Ochs
Hi,

> Yeah, I never saw the survey either.

here:

On 2/2/06, Timothy Downs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've put up a short Lua-specific survey  for if anyone is interested -
> purely out of curiosity.
> I am not using these results for anything commercial- I will post a link
> to the results when there are enough responses.
>
> Timothy Downs

Cheers, Edrx
  http://angg.twu.net/

Re: Lua Survey Results

Ben Sunshine-Hill
It was on this list yesterday (18 hours, to be imprecise).
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=438301736988

On 2/2/06, Thomas Harning Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:09:12 +1300
> "Beric Holt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > At the risk of sounding stupid.... What is the link to fill out the
> > survey?
> >

> > Cheers
> > Beric
> Yeah, I never saw the survey either.
>
> --
> Thomas Harning Jr.
> Fortune:
> I'd rather have two girls at 21 each than one girl at 42.
>                 -- W.C. Fields

Re: Lua Survey Results

David Given
On Thursday 02 February 2006 23:30, Ben Sunshine-Hill wrote:
> It was on this list yesterday (18 hours, to be imprecise).
> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=438301736988

It's whining about cookies and doesn't actually work for me.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
+- www.cowlark.com --+