Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

steve donovan
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:14 AM, David Manura <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there justification for Lua likewise having a separate mail list
> for Lua module authors?  ....

I'd say this was a good idea, because there are many Lua users who
have little interest in the necessary gory details of module
development and policy.  Then lua-l can focus on the language, and
Lua-related usage questions.

>  OTOH, for this proposal to make sense we would need to avoid a
> situation where everyone feels the need to subscribe to both lists
> with lots of cross-talk.

Module writers and hard-core embedders would no doubt remain on lua-l as well.

steve d.

Re: Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

Duncan Cross
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:01 PM, steve donovan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:14 AM, David Manura <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there justification for Lua likewise having a separate mail list
>> for Lua module authors?  ....
>
> I'd say this was a good idea, because there are many Lua users who
> have little interest in the necessary gory details of module
> development and policy.  Then lua-l can focus on the language, and
> Lua-related usage questions.

I agree. I'd like to see this, a less intrusive place than the main
mailing list to have fairly long, subjective discussions about
best-practice in module API design and other things that are probably
only of much interest to module developers.

-Duncan

Re: Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

Enrico Tassi-3
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 04:01:45PM +0200, steve donovan wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:14 AM, David Manura <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there justification for Lua likewise having a separate mail list
> > for Lua module authors?  ....
>
> I'd say this was a good idea, because there are many Lua users who

I like it too, and I would happily partecipate to this discussion
in an appropriate list.

Cheers
Enrico Tassi

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Enrico Tassi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like it too, and I would happily partecipate to this discussion
> in an appropriate list.

Well, let's try. How do people feel about Google Groups, or shall we
get a plain old mailing list?

steve d.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:54 AM, steve donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Enrico Tassi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I like it too, and I would happily partecipate to this discussion
>> in an appropriate list.
>
> Well, let's try. How do people feel about Google Groups, or shall we
> get a plain old mailing list?

I'd prefer a plain mailing list.

-Duncan

Re: Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

云帆江
for me, i like the pipe idea to set my own intersting pipe on maillist, so it will send me the mail match my rule not any others

welcom to gtalk me
http://hi.baidu.com/jyf1987

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 07:54:41AM +0200, steve donovan wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Enrico Tassi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I like it too, and I would happily partecipate to this discussion
> > in an appropriate list.
>
> Well, let's try. How do people feel about Google Groups, or shall we
> get a plain old mailing list?

As long as I don't have to use a browser to read the "list", it's fine.

Cheers
Enrico Tassi

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Enrico Tassi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As long as I don't have to use a browser to read the "list", it's fine.

So let's try for [hidden email]

Re: Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

KHMan
On 9/3/2010 5:48 PM, steve donovan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Enrico Tassi wrote:
>> As long as I don't have to use a browser to read the "list", it's fine.
>
> So let's try for [hidden email]

To answer Enrico, Google Groups works fine as a traditional
mailing list, and there is also a web interface.

Google Groups gets spam attacks, but as long as you moderate new
members' messages and deny membership to obvious spammers, you can
avoid spam.

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

Michal Kottman
On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 10:20 +0100, Duncan Cross wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:54 AM, steve donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Enrico Tassi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I like it too, and I would happily partecipate to this discussion
> >> in an appropriate list.
> >
> > Well, let's try. How do people feel about Google Groups, or shall we
> > get a plain old mailing list?
>
> I'd prefer a plain mailing list.
>
> -Duncan

Google Groups can act like a "plain mailing" list, if by that you mean
that the messages can be read in an email client (and possibly using
threaded view). Plus, the messages can be viewed online.

On 9/3/2010 7:40 PM, Michal Kottman wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 10:20 +0100, Duncan Cross wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, let's try. How do people feel about Google Groups, or shall we
>>> get a plain old mailing list?
>>
>> I'd prefer a plain mailing list.
>>
>> -Duncan
>
> Google Groups can act like a "plain mailing" list, if by that you mean
> that the messages can be read in an email client (and possibly using
> threaded view). Plus, the messages can be viewed online.

One warranted concern some of you may have is that Google Groups
does not currently seem to have an archival feature -- no button
to download a data pile.

If you are too permissive and get spammed, the list might be
disabled (deleted) automatically. But you can ask Chris DiBona for
help on that.

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

Rob Kendrick-2
On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 01:40:55PM +0200, Michal Kottman wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 10:20 +0100, Duncan Cross wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, let's try. How do people feel about Google Groups, or shall we
> > > get a plain old mailing list?
> >
> > I'd prefer a plain mailing list.
>
> Google Groups can act like a "plain mailing" list, if by that you mean
> that the messages can be read in an email client (and possibly using
> threaded view). Plus, the messages can be viewed online.

Just like a mailing list, then :)  To be honest, I tend to avoid Google
Groups for such lists for some of the reasons already outlined (spam,
etc).  One question I do have though is if it supports fixed-pitch
fonts, because GMail doesn't, and it makes for hopelessly unreadable
mails when you're including source code.

B.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Rob Kendrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just like a mailing list, then :)  To be honest, I tend to avoid Google
> Groups for such lists for some of the reasons already outlined (spam,

We could have a temporary Groups list for discussing this question further ;)

I'd say let's get a mailing list going, but who knows the protocol?

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 02:24:41PM +0200, steve donovan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Rob Kendrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Just like a mailing list, then :)  To be honest, I tend to avoid Google
> > Groups for such lists for some of the reasons already outlined (spam,
>
> We could have a temporary Groups list for discussing this question further ;)
>
> I'd say let's get a mailing list going, but who knows the protocol?

Well, if you want one under lists.lua.org, I suspect you should start by
seeking the blessing of Luiz and Roberto.

B.

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 07:53:01PM +0800, KHMan wrote:
> If you are too permissive and get spammed, the list might be
> disabled (deleted) automatically. But you can ask Chris DiBona for

So they are able to detect you have been spammed, but not to prevent the
list being so... funny, but not that nice IMO, expecially the
auto-delete feature cmobined with the no-archives one.

The @lists.lua.org option sounds better to me, and it's domain may also
make it sound more "official".

Ceers
Enrico Tassi

On 9/3/2010 8:43 PM, Enrico Tassi wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 07:53:01PM +0800, KHMan wrote:
>> If you are too permissive and get spammed, the list might be
>> disabled (deleted) automatically. But you can ask Chris DiBona for
>
> So they are able to detect you have been spammed, but not to prevent the
> list being so... funny, but not that nice IMO, expecially the
> auto-delete feature cmobined with the no-archives one.

No, specifically, any lists not marked as 'adult' gets deleted
quickly and automatically if any adult spam gets in. Undeleting is
a real pain, unless you bypass their normal channels as a F/LOSS
entity and bother someone higher up in there.

So, permissive membership or web page edit there is a really bad
idea. Marking as 'adult' is bad since it might not be allowed in
corporate settings.

> The @lists.lua.org option sounds better to me, and it's domain may also
> make it sound more "official".

GGroups is good if one wants to use a free service. In this case,
lists.lua.org has obvious advantages.

[Sorry for the OT topic, will minimize postings.]

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Lua Modules Development List (was Re: LuaBatteries.org ?)

David Given
On 03/09/10 12:40, Michal Kottman wrote:
[...]
> Google Groups can act like a "plain mailing" list, if by that you mean
> that the messages can be read in an email client (and possibly using
> threaded view). Plus, the messages can be viewed online.

Don't forget there's also GMane, which provides an alternative view of
pretty much every mailing list ever, including NNTP access if you want
to use a newsreader:

http://gmane.org/
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general

It knows about the new lua-l these days.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────

│ life←{ ↑1 ⍵∨.^3 4=+/,¯1 0 1∘.⊖¯1 0 1∘.⌽⊂⍵ }
│ --- Conway's Game Of Life, in one line of APL

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Rob Kendrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, if you want one under lists.lua.org, I suspect you should start by
> seeking the blessing of Luiz and Roberto.

They don't feel it is appropriate at the moment - after all, we don't
have a lot of traffic.  Luiz did suggest that we use suitable topics
so that people could filter out such messages if they did not feel
interested.

Perhaps it is more a question of attitude: to engage with the writers
of new modules and make some effort to evaluate their offerings and to
get them to elaborate on their design decisions, etc. Which has
already been happening; the main thing is that it should not be seen
as a critical thing.

(I don't know if other languages have this problem, but in English
'critical' has acquired negative connotations)

steve d.