Lua Foundation?

Re: Lua Foundation?

Paige DePol

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 10:23 AM, Marc Balmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think Etiene has a very valid point here. Just because _I_ don't need
> it, does not mean that it is generally a bad idea. That said, if such a
> group/whatever will be created, I am willing to help.
>
> As for a name, I'd suggest "Lua Users Association", however.

My partner just pointed out to me that the acronym for the Lua Users
Association would also be LUA... perhaps the name could be "Lua²" for the
association? :)

I have not had much time in the past couple years for hacking Lua due to
personal and medical reasons, however, things have finally stabilised and I
have begun work on updating my patch collection to the latest version of
Lua. I will have an update and a mega-patch to release soon... the patch is
4'ish patches in one, however, I do plan to break down all my hacks into
discreet individual patches as well.

As I now have a lot of free time available I am very interested in
volunteering my time towards a Lua user group association in any capacity
that is needed. My main interest in Lua so far as been towards understanding
how it all works and hacking the codebase to add new features and extend the
language. Should an off-list discussion occur, or if another list is
started, please include me, thank you!

In another thread it was asked what is your favorite thing about Lua? I
would have to say the codebase itself, how once you start to grok the
codebase you can easily extend Lua itself, including creating your own
derivative language. This list is my second favorite thing about Lua, the
developers are easily accessible and I have seen some pretty enlightening
conversations about Lua take place here. I would like to see a user group
association work towards making Lua a more viable language for more people,
hopefully we can raise Lua higher than #26 on the TIOBE[1] ranking! :)

I have a few ideas I plan to work towards which I think could really help
those who have an interest in hacking Lua, or just in understanding how it
all works. I would be more than happy to participate in a Lua Users
Association and to make these resources I plan to create available via that
association.

~Paige

[1] https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Re: Lua Foundation?

Jeff Rouse
I applaud everyone on the interesting foundation discussion and as I
believe that a foundation for an open source language gives it more
credibility, focus, and helps it to grow.

As a little bit of history, ActiveState was the founding member of the
Python Foundation, and have worked with the Perl Foundation on a variety
of initiatives over the years. We would support the creation of a Lua
Foundation, and would contribute to its formation, but as always we
leave it to the community at large to decide if this is something that
they feel they would benefit from.

Just as an update we are moving towards our beta Lua distro in September
and are looking forward to increasing our engagement with the Lua community.

Cheers,

-JR

On 2017-04-21 1:31 AM, Russell Haley wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Daurnimator <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>   On 19 April 2017 at 02:53, Andrew Starks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Has something like the idea of a Lua Foundation ever come up?
>>>
>>> The reason that I ask is because there seem to be many opportunities to
>>> explore, all of which require some kind of momentum to be formed or strict
>>> adherence to Lua's specific mission. As a result, many efforts feels like
>>> hearding cats or sounding like an unwanted extension to Lua itself.
>> Such as?
>>
>> I'm curious what you think can be solved by a "Foundation" that can't
>> be solved by us, the community.
>>
>> The main purpose for such a foundation might be as a legal entity and
>> touch point for large organisations that don't know how to deal with
>> individuals.
>> It might be capable of
>>    - applying for grants
>>    - holding bank accounts for community funds
>>    - being named as party to insurance (e.g. for conferences)
>>    - being blessed by governments
>> At the moment these are generally not done at all, by private parties,
>> or sometimes via PUC-Rio and/or LabLua.
>> I wouldn't be opposed to such an organisation, but I'm not entirely
>> sure what problems you're solving for.
>> I also have questions about where such a foundation should be
>> founded/based to solve the legal issues it's designed to solve.
>>
> I think the FreeBSD Foundation serves as an excellent model for Lua.
> FreeBSD is it's own entity. The FreeBSD Foundation is a separate
> entity that manages the following sorts of things:
> - collects donations for FreeBSD
> - organizes community efforts and provides funding from donations
> - provides advocacy such as special presentations at universities,
> events and some publications (notably the FreeBSD Journal)
> - provides resources for distribution (build servers, resources, bandwidth etc)
> - helps direct and shape projects that the board recognizes as
> valuable to the community
>
> The board is made up of current and past commiters and other people
> and has some full time staff.
>
> A Lua foundation would be an excellent organization for providing
> "with batteries" distributions and many of the other things people
> feel the community isn't providing well enough.
>
> On the flip side, companies like ActiveState can provide leadership in
> the area of binaries and distribution if there really is any market
> for it. But then again, where does a company go if they want to donate
> resources to Lua? Is PUC-Rio capable of working with for profit
> companies on that sort of thing? Maybe that is also where a Foundation
> would help?
>
> Russ

123