Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Jay Carlson
A friend of mine is fond of shouting

SHIP
THE
BETA

so here it is.  Lua FLTK 1.0 is now available from its new home on
Sourceforge.

http://lua-fltk.sourceforge.net/

Lua (www.lua.org):"Lua is a powerful, light-weight programming language
designed for extending applications."

FLTK (www.fltk.org): "FLTK (pronounced "fulltick") is a LGPL'd C++ graphical
user interface toolkit for X (UNIX®), OpenGL, and WIN32 (Microsoft® Windows®
NT 4.0, 95, or 98)."

A binary for i386 Linux is available now; Win32, Solaris 8, and
mipsel-linux-snow binaries will (hopefully) appear later tomorrow.

Jay

Re: Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Eric Tetz-2
There's is something wrong with lua-fltk-0.9-win32.zip (SourceForge).  When I attempt to run
flua.exe I get the following error:

  flua.exe: *** Shared region version mismatch.  Version 26 != 22.
  Are you using multiple versions of cygwin1.dll?
  Run 'cygcheck -r -s -v' to find out.

The complaint is coming from the cygwin1.dll that you included with the dist.

Cheers,
Eric

http://im.yahoo.com/

Re: Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Eric Tetz-2
Ooop! I didn't mean to send this to the list. My apologies....

--- Eric Tetz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's is something wrong with lua-fltk-0.9-win32.zip (SourceForge).  When I attempt to run
> flua.exe I get the following error:
>
>   flua.exe: *** Shared region version mismatch.  Version 26 != 22.
>   Are you using multiple versions of cygwin1.dll?
>   Run 'cygcheck -r -s -v' to find out.
>
> The complaint is coming from the cygwin1.dll that you included with the dist.
>
> Cheers,
> Eric

http://im.yahoo.com/

Re: Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Jay Carlson
"Eric Tetz" <[hidden email]> writes:

> There's is something wrong with lua-fltk-0.9-win32.zip (SourceForge).
When I attempt to run
> flua.exe I get the following error:
>
>   flua.exe: *** Shared region version mismatch.  Version 26 != 22.
>   Are you using multiple versions of cygwin1.dll?
>   Run 'cygcheck -r -s -v' to find out.
>
> The complaint is coming from the cygwin1.dll that you included with the
dist.

Really?  I'll have to go find a *really* virgin system to try this on.

If you haven't, could you just extract the zip to a new folder and try
double-clicking flua.exe in there?

Jay

Re: Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Reuben Thomas-4
> > The complaint is coming from the cygwin1.dll that you included with the
> dist.

This is standard and horrible behaviour. Cygwin1.dll looks for other
instancecs of itself and complains if their versions don't match. All the
versions on a system have to be the same. We had this problem with GHC
(Glasgow Haskell Compiler); we now use a pure mingwin build.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | Travail broadens the behind

Re: Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Eric Tetz-2
--- Jay Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "Eric Tetz" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > There's is something wrong with lua-fltk-0.9-win32.zip (SourceForge).
> When I attempt to run
> > flua.exe I get the following error:
> >
> >   flua.exe: *** Shared region version mismatch.  Version 26 != 22.
> >   Are you using multiple versions of cygwin1.dll?
> >   Run 'cygcheck -r -s -v' to find out.
> >
> > The complaint is coming from the cygwin1.dll that you included with the
> dist.
>
> Really?  I'll have to go find a *really* virgin system to try this on.
>
> If you haven't, could you just extract the zip to a new folder and try
> double-clicking flua.exe in there?

Yes, that's what I did.  I *do* have Cygwin on my machine, so I thought perhaps it was loading a
different version of the DLL (though it shouldn't, the search should start with '.'), so I killed
the PATH. Same error. So I killed all other versions of the DLL.  Same error. To be totally sure,
I opened the DLL in my editor and changed "find out" to "piss off". Yup, it was loading your DLL,
but that DLL complained about a version mismatch.  So I assumed you must have included the wrong
DLL. However, in light of Reuben's reply, it looks more like Cygwin.dll compares it's version
number against something in the registry. Bad mojo.

In any case, I just removed *your* DLL and let it load *mine*, and everything was fine.

Great work!  I played Tali for a half and hour... :)

Cheers,
Eric

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Jay Carlson
> --- Jay Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "Eric Tetz" <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > There's is something wrong with lua-fltk-0.9-win32.zip (SourceForge).
> > When I attempt to run
> > > flua.exe I get the following error:
> > >
> > >   flua.exe: *** Shared region version mismatch.  Version 26 != 22.
> > >   Are you using multiple versions of cygwin1.dll?
> > >   Run 'cygcheck -r -s -v' to find out.
> > >
> > > The complaint is coming from the cygwin1.dll that you included with
the
> > dist.
> >
> > Really?  I'll have to go find a *really* virgin system to try this on.
> >
> > If you haven't, could you just extract the zip to a new folder and try
> > double-clicking flua.exe in there?
>
> Yes, that's what I did.  I *do* have Cygwin on my machine, so I thought
perhaps it was loading a
> different version of the DLL (though it shouldn't, the search should start
with '.'), so I killed
> the PATH. Same error. So I killed all other versions of the DLL.  Same
error. To be totally sure,
> I opened the DLL in my editor and changed "find out" to "piss off". Yup,
it was loading your DLL,
> but that DLL complained about a version mismatch.  So I assumed you must
have included the wrong
> DLL. However, in light of Reuben's reply, it looks more like Cygwin.dll
compares it's version
> number against something in the registry. Bad mojo.

I think it's against other running apps using cygwin1.dll.  I believe they
want only one on a system at a time in order to keep stuff like process IDs
consistent across all executables.

> In any case, I just removed *your* DLL and let it load *mine*, and
everything was fine.

Yeah, I managed to repro this and that fixes it.  Next time I package up
binaries I'll include a note to this effect---mind if I credit you and
Reuben?

> Great work!  I played Tali for a half and hour... :)

Oh, it's MUCH worse when it's on a PDA you carry to meetings... :-)

Jay

Re: Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Reuben Thomas-4
> Yeah, I managed to repro this and that fixes it.  Next time I package up
> binaries I'll include a note to this effect---mind if I credit you and
> Reuben?

No prob...

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | certain, a.  insufficiently analysed

Re: Lua FLTK 1.0 released

Eric Tetz-2
--- Jay Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> it looks more like Cygwin.dll compares it's version number against
>> something in the registry. Bad mojo.
>>
> I think it's against other running apps using cygwin1.dll.

Yeah, assumed it was the registry because I (a) physically removed all copies of Cygwin1.dll, (b)
Win2K diagnostic tool to verify that no copy the DLL was still in memory.  The tool lied. A reboot
allowed me to use your DLL.

> I believe they want only one on a system at a time in order to keep stuff
> like process IDs consistent across all executables.

Yeah, apparently it stores stuff like process IDs in shared memory area which has the same name
across all version of the DLL, regardless of whether the layout has changed.

> Yeah, I managed to repro this and that fixes it.  Next time I package up
> binaries I'll include a note to this effect---mind if I credit you and
> Reuben?

Not at all. :)

Cheers,
Eric