Lua Class

Paul J. Anderson

Hi,

I am very new to the programing world, but have started to use software that allows Lua scripting for more advanced and custom features. Do you know of any intro to Lua or level 1 classes offered anywhere? Even a college course would be great if it was mainly about Lua as I am not very interested in learning any other languages.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Anderson | Pro AV Technician | CTS

Marco Logo - 1in Email Sig

320.345.0802 | 800.892.8548

4510 heatherwood road, st. cloud, mn 56301 | marconet.com

Facebook icon - PC (1)Twitter icon - PCLinkedIn icon - PC

Re: Lua Class

Russell Haley
Hi Paul,

The Programming in Lua book fourth edition just came out http://www.lua.org/pil/. I've been programming a long time and I'm reading it cover to cover because the language has so many neat features.

A nice learning tool of lua is you can use it interactively. Just install Lua on your platform of choice and invoke "lua" through a command line. Then you can run basic commands like os.date() to see what happens.

The lua users wiki will be your go-to for examples: http://lua-users.org/wiki/. I'm still a novice at Lua so I often times need to look up references. I will google "lua gmatch string" for instance. Usually the wiki will be my first click if it comes up.

Other resources you will find is the PIL online (http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html), though be careful what version of Lua you are using because the online manual is not current. For an online REFERENCE for all versions, you can go to the Lua manual: http://www.lua.org/manual/. This is good for reference but not a tool for a novice as you will miss details about the language.

Finally, this mailing list is a great resource. I have had to ask some pretty trivial questions while learning Lua and these guys have been excellent.

Some suggestions:
1) As stated previously, there are a number of features about Lua that are not the same as other software langauges. I highly recommend buying the book. I could have saved myself a lot of time by doing so in the first place
2) If you let the mailing list know what product you are using and what you are trying to do, they may be able to help?
3) Get yourself a good IDE like ZeroBrane. It has a debugger that will allow you to pause your code and inspect values while it is running. It can also help show you the functions available in a module, and suggest functions and parameters for you.  https://studio.zerobrane.com/

Good Luck,

Russ

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Paul J. Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am very new to the programing world, but have started to use software that allows Lua scripting for more advanced and custom features. Do you know of any intro to Lua or level 1 classes offered anywhere? Even a college course would be great if it was mainly about Lua as I am not very interested in learning any other languages.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Anderson | Pro AV Technician | CTS

Marco Logo - 1in Email Sig

4510 heatherwood road, st. cloud, mn 56301 | marconet.com

Facebook icon - PC (1)Twitter icon - PCLinkedIn icon - PC

Re: Lua Class

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Paul J. Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am very new to the programing world, but have started to use software that allows Lua scripting for more advanced and custom features. Do you know of any intro to Lua or level 1 classes offered anywhere? Even a college course would be great if it was mainly about Lua as I am not very interested in learning any other languages.

Please pardon the HTML reply. I'm too pressed for time to convert links to labels plus URLs (another script I need to write, I guess). This is an export to HTML from the relevant portion of the NoteCase Pro Help file. You can download and install NoteCase Pro for a host of operating systems, then run it in Lite mode without charge from <http://notecasepro.com/download.php>. Caveat: I haven't checked link validity recently.

Best regards,

Paul

Lua Scripting Resource Links

One of the great advantages of the Lua scripting engine embedded in NoteCase Pro is Lua's popularity, which translates into a multitude of Lua scripting resources being available on the Web.

This Help file section lists some major Lua resource sites, but if you are having problems writing some code, it's likely that someone has already learned how to do it and has posted the code online. Your Web search engine is your friend.

Table of contents

Lua Code Snippets

Category: Lua, at RosettaCode.org. Hundreds of Lua code snippets

Lua Cookbook, at GitHub Social Coding. Still in the planning stages but bookmarked here to check later.

Lua Snippets at http://snippets.luacode.org/. More than 100 high-quality Lua snippets.

Lua Tutorial Directory at Lua-users.org. Good tutorials, lots of snippets.

MUSHclient Lua forum. Web forum for a game implementation of Lua, with excellent Lua tutorials and a multitude of code snippets.

Pastebin.com. Include "lua" in your search query. Caution: Some content on Pastebin.com is transitory. Clip and save any useful snippets you find there.

Sample Code at the Lua-users.org wiki. Meta-index to sample Lua code on the web site.

Snipplr Lua code snippets.

Stack Overflow. Answers to about 750 Lua questions as of 25 January, 2011, often including Lua snippets. Include "lua" in your site search query.

Lua Documentation

Lua for Beginners. A tutorial for beginners with no programming experience. Written for Lua v. 5.1 but appears also to be valid for Lua v. 5.3. Also available in German.

CE317-Virtual Worlds, by Richard Bartle. Lecture slides giving an excellent high-level overview of Lua v. 5.1. See slides for lectures 1 and 2. http://courses.essex.ac.uk/ce/ce317/
Lua 5.1 is mostly compatible to the Lua 5.3 interpreter currently included in NoteCase Pro.

Lua Documentation at Lua.org (official Reference Manual for Lua 5.3)

Programming in Lua (first edition), by Lua's creator. Online book is for Lua v. 5.0, but is mostly relevant to Lua v. 5.3, the version embedded in NoteCase Pro. Often offers more detail and examples than the Lua Reference Manual.

Litt's Lua Laboratory. Under active construction. A Lua beginner's guide.

Lua Cookbook. A reference manual for scripters with some programming experience. Under construction.

Lua Documentation at Lua-users.org. See also Find Page (search page for the Lua-users.org wiki); Lua-L (archives for official Lua mailing list, including archive search).

Indigo Rose Autoplay Media Studio, an application development environment with an outstanding Help file section on use of Lua comprehensible by lay users.

Lua Tutorial Directory at Lua-users.org.

Learn Lua in 15 Minutes (more or less), http://tylerneylon.com/a/learn-lua/ (for Lua 5.1, but applies to Lua 5.3 as well)

Lua Meta-Links Collections

Lua Directory, http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaDirectory (top level directory for all content on the lua-users.org wiki; includes links to many subdirectories).

Lua Links, http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaLinks.

Computers: Programming: Languages: Lua, http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Lua/.

Crypography Stuff, http://lua-users.org/wiki/CryptographyStuff.

Lua Script Development Tools

Lua Integrated Development Environments. A collection of links for supporting IDEs at LuaForge.net. (NoteCase Pro itself can be used to manage a Lua code clip library, with Lua Syntax highlightingline numbering, and the note template feature.)

Miscellaneous Lua Resources

lua-l is the official mailing list for Lua conversation. Lots of extremely helpful list participants. The place to go if you have a question that Google refuses to answer. See also the lua-l archives.

Lua Unofficial FAQ, http://www.luafaq.org/. Aimed toward stand-alone Lua but some of the information is relevant to scripting NoteCase Pro as well.

Lua FAQ, http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaFaq. Another Lua FAQ on the lua-users.org wiki.

Lua Unofficial FAQ (uFAQ), http://luafaq.org/. Aims to fill in the gaps left by http://www.lua.org/faq.html and http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaFaq. This is the most recently updated FAQ, addressing versions 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3.

Stack Overflow. Answers to about 750 Lua questions as of 25 January, 2011, often including code snippets. Include "lua" in your site search query.

Lua for Python Programmers. Introduction to Lua for experienced Python programmers.

Learning Lua/from JS. "Know JavaScript, and want to learn Lua? Here's are some quick facts about the similarities and differences."

The.Lua.Tutorial, An Introduction to Lua, The Crash Course to Lua (Lua for novice programmers).

LuaHUB Discussion Forum. Good online forum for Lua questions and answers.

Lua.Space is an initiative to serve as a community hub to distribute news, technical posts and general discussions on everything related to the Lua programming language. Or, as the name says, a Lua space.