Library status

Szymon Gatner
Hi,

is there any roadmap for Luabind? Is it still actively maintained? Any
plans for v 1.0? Or inclusion to boost?

I do very much hope it is not abandoned as it is the best Lua binding
lib out there.

Cheers,
Szymon Gatner

Re: Library status

Nicolas Goles-2
I'm also interested in knowing what's the status of the project.

--
Nicolas Goles Domic

Founder & Lead Engineer
Gando Games

On Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Szymon Gatner wrote:

Hi,

is there any roadmap for Luabind? Is it still actively maintained? Any
plans for v 1.0? Or inclusion to boost?

I do very much hope it is not abandoned as it is the best Lua binding
lib out there.

Cheers,
Szymon Gatner

Re: Library status

Ryan Pavlik-4
I'm not sure what any previous developers are planning on doing, but the fact that Luabind is on GitHub means that anyone can continue development easily.  For instance, I've added a CMake build system and cleaned up a number of build warnings, as well as made sure that every header file not in "detail" compiles cleanly on its own. https://github.com/rpavlik/luabind

My hunch is that for the initial authors, this is effectively feature-complete.  As I use it, I'll be releasing any improvements or fixes I find necessary, and I anticipate others will do so as well. I'm not sure how being in Boost would help anything - seems like GitHub provides a more flexible maintenance strategy. Version 1.0 is probably a useful/important milestone from a public acceptance point of view - people can be nervous to adopt things < 1.0 if they're not familiar with open source tendencies to never reach 1.0 despite substantial functionality.

Are there specific features or bugs that you're expecting, or that folks would be looking for in a 1.0 release?

Ryan

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Nicolas Goles <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm also interested in knowing what's the status of the project.

--
Nicolas Goles Domic

Founder & Lead Engineer
Gando Games

On Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Szymon Gatner wrote:

Hi,

is there any roadmap for Luabind? Is it still actively maintained? Any
plans for v 1.0? Or inclusion to boost?

I do very much hope it is not abandoned as it is the best Lua binding
lib out there.

Cheers,
Szymon Gatner

Ryan Pavlik
HCI Graduate Student
Virtual Reality Applications Center
Iowa State University

[hidden email]
http://academic.cleardefinition.com

Re: Library status

Reko Tiira
The ability to overload __index and __newindex for classes would be
much appreciated.
I read before that it was planned for 1.0:
http://old.nabble.com/array-access-%22A-i-%22-and-luabind-td26478178.html

Regards,
Reko Tiira

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Ryan Pavlik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what any previous developers are planning on doing, but the
> fact that Luabind is on GitHub means that anyone can continue development
> easily.  For instance, I've added a CMake build system and cleaned up a
> number of build warnings, as well as made sure that every header file not in
> "detail" compiles cleanly on its own. https://github.com/rpavlik/luabind
> My hunch is that for the initial authors, this is effectively
> feature-complete.  As I use it, I'll be releasing any improvements or fixes
> I find necessary, and I anticipate others will do so as well. I'm not sure
> how being in Boost would help anything - seems like GitHub provides a more
> flexible maintenance strategy. Version 1.0 is probably a useful/important
> milestone from a public acceptance point of view - people can be nervous to
> adopt things < 1.0 if they're not familiar with open source tendencies to
> never reach 1.0 despite substantial functionality.
> Are there specific features or bugs that you're expecting, or that folks
> would be looking for in a 1.0 release?
>
> Ryan
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Nicolas Goles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm also interested in knowing what's the status of the project.
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Goles Domic
>> Founder & Lead Engineer
>> Gando Games
>>
>> On Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Szymon Gatner wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there any roadmap for Luabind? Is it still actively maintained? Any
>> plans for v 1.0? Or inclusion to boost?
>>
>> I do very much hope it is not abandoned as it is the best Lua binding
>> lib out there.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Szymon Gatner

> Ryan Pavlik
> HCI Graduate Student
> Virtual Reality Applications Center
> Iowa State University
>
> [hidden email]
> http://academic.cleardefinition.com

tr1::shared_ptr support?

Tony Kostanjsek
hi,

boost::shared_ptr support works great in luabind, but when I just tried to swap boost::shared_ptr with tr1::shared_ptr, the program failed with lots of 'Trying to use unregistered class'exceptions' at runtime, as soon as a tr1::shared_ptr held member was accessed. Is there a way to make this work easily? I grepped the sources for shared_ptr, found it in class.hpp and shared_ptr_converter.hpp, tried to add a default_converter and get_const_holder, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

thanks,
Tony

Re: Library status

Teto

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Reko Tiira <[hidden email]> wrote:
The ability to overload __index and __newindex for classes would be
much appreciated.
I read before that it was planned for 1.0:
http://old.nabble.com/array-access-%22A-i-%22-and-luabind-td26478178.html
-I second that. I've done a hack for it on my computer (can't remember if it deals with a peculiar class type or if __newindex deals is the same for every type registered by luabind.
-Support of the __concat method (this one doesn't work http://old.nabble.com/concat-td23748832.html), see the concat.hpp attached at the end of this page http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27270169
-Use of C++0x (reluctant people could stick with 0.9) to speed up compilation time.
-More comments into the code :p ?

Luabind is wonderful it's a great job dev are doing.

Regards,
Reko Tiira

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Ryan Pavlik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not sure what any previous developers are planning on doing, but the
> fact that Luabind is on GitHub means that anyone can continue development
> easily.  For instance, I've added a CMake build system and cleaned up a
> number of build warnings, as well as made sure that every header file not in
> "detail" compiles cleanly on its own. https://github.com/rpavlik/luabind
> My hunch is that for the initial authors, this is effectively
> feature-complete.  As I use it, I'll be releasing any improvements or fixes
> I find necessary, and I anticipate others will do so as well. I'm not sure
> how being in Boost would help anything - seems like GitHub provides a more
> flexible maintenance strategy. Version 1.0 is probably a useful/important
> milestone from a public acceptance point of view - people can be nervous to
> adopt things < 1.0 if they're not familiar with open source tendencies to
> never reach 1.0 despite substantial functionality.
> Are there specific features or bugs that you're expecting, or that folks
> would be looking for in a 1.0 release?
>
> Ryan
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Nicolas Goles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm also interested in knowing what's the status of the project.
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Goles Domic
>> Founder & Lead Engineer
>> Gando Games
>>
>> On Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Szymon Gatner wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there any roadmap for Luabind? Is it still actively maintained? Any
>> plans for v 1.0? Or inclusion to boost?
>>
>> I do very much hope it is not abandoned as it is the best Lua binding
>> lib out there.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Szymon Gatner

> Ryan Pavlik
> HCI Graduate Student
> Virtual Reality Applications Center
> Iowa State University
>
> [hidden email]
> http://academic.cleardefinition.com

Re: Library status

Szymon Gatner
__index and __newindex support would be nice addition indeed.

Problem remains tho: is it still officially maintained?

If yes, who is current maintainer that would include community patches
into the library? Are Daniel and/or Arvid still involved? Is it DIY
library now?

Looking at responses to my original question it seems I am not the
only one concerned and it also seems that it is abandoned indeed  -
latest sourceforge update is over 8 months old :(

What do we do then? Maybe a user-driven fork?

Cheers,
Simon

2011/6/15 Teto <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Reko Tiira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The ability to overload __index and __newindex for classes would be
>> much appreciated.
>> I read before that it was planned for 1.0:
>> http://old.nabble.com/array-access-%22A-i-%22-and-luabind-td26478178.html
>
> -I second that. I've done a hack for it on my computer (can't remember if it
> deals with a peculiar class type or if __newindex deals is the same for
> every type registered by luabind.
> -Support of the __concat method (this one doesn't work
> http://old.nabble.com/concat-td23748832.html), see the concat.hpp attached
> at the end of this page
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27270169
> -Use of C++0x (reluctant people could stick with 0.9) to speed up
> compilation time.
> -More comments into the code :p ?
> Luabind is wonderful it's a great job dev are doing.
>

>> Regards,
>> Reko Tiira
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Ryan Pavlik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I'm not sure what any previous developers are planning on doing, but the
>> > fact that Luabind is on GitHub means that anyone can continue
>> > development
>> > easily.  For instance, I've added a CMake build system and cleaned up a
>> > number of build warnings, as well as made sure that every header file
>> > not in
>> > "detail" compiles cleanly on its own. https://github.com/rpavlik/luabind
>> > My hunch is that for the initial authors, this is effectively
>> > feature-complete.  As I use it, I'll be releasing any improvements or
>> > fixes
>> > I find necessary, and I anticipate others will do so as well. I'm not
>> > sure
>> > how being in Boost would help anything - seems like GitHub provides a
>> > more
>> > flexible maintenance strategy. Version 1.0 is probably a
>> > useful/important
>> > milestone from a public acceptance point of view - people can be nervous
>> > adopt things < 1.0 if they're not familiar with open source tendencies
>> > never reach 1.0 despite substantial functionality.
>> > Are there specific features or bugs that you're expecting, or that folks
>> > would be looking for in a 1.0 release?
>> >
>> > Ryan

>> > --
>> > Ryan Pavlik
>> > HCI Graduate Student
>> > Virtual Reality Applications Center
>> > Iowa State University
>> >
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://academic.cleardefinition.com

Szymon Gatner
The Lordz Games Studio
www.thelordzgamesstudio.com

Re: Library status

Ryan Pavlik-4
I think GitHub gives us the possibility of doing a "casual" fork while we don't hear from any earlier developers. As I've mentioned, I'm working on it, and anyone could announce their repo as a new integration repo for improvements.  It seems user-driven at this point, but there's a diversity of itches and folks working on scratching them so I'm confident there will still be progress.  For instance, I now have all the headers compiling cleanly, and nearly all of them and the tests compiling without any warnings on Clang 2.9 with -Wall -Wextra turned on.

Ryan

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Ryan Pavlik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think GitHub gives us the possibility of doing a "casual" fork while we
> don't hear from any earlier developers. As I've mentioned, I'm working on
> it, and anyone could announce their repo as a new integration repo for
> improvements.  It seems user-driven at this point, but there's a diversity
> of itches and folks working on scratching them so I'm confident there will
> still be progress.  For instance, I now have all the headers compiling
> cleanly, and nearly all of them and the tests compiling without any warnings
> on Clang 2.9 with -Wall -Wextra turned on.
> Ryan
I think so too.
This topic is all the more interesting that lua 5.2 will soo be
released. I am very interested in the yieldable pcall so luabind
developers, now is the time to manifest yourselves : when will luabind
be adapted to 5.2 ? ;)

Re: Library status

Teto
I've quickly hacked luabind 0.9.1 so that it supports lua 5.2 beta. Here you go
http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/bluecosmos/utils/luabind-perso.zip
(I've suppressed some "super" related code as I don't need it and it's
deprecated anyway)
It works fine with me but I may have introduced bugs. I did it for fun
and I don't intend to fork luabind or whatever.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Teto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Ryan Pavlik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think GitHub gives us the possibility of doing a "casual" fork while we
> > don't hear from any earlier developers. As I've mentioned, I'm working on
> > it, and anyone could announce their repo as a new integration repo for
> > improvements.  It seems user-driven at this point, but there's a diversity
> > of itches and folks working on scratching them so I'm confident there will
> > still be progress.  For instance, I now have all the headers compiling
> > cleanly, and nearly all of them and the tests compiling without any warnings
> > on Clang 2.9 with -Wall -Wextra turned on.
> > Ryan
> I think so too.
> This topic is all the more interesting that lua 5.2 will soo be
> released. I am very interested in the yieldable pcall so luabind
> developers, now is the time to manifest yourselves : when will luabind
> be adapted to 5.2 ? ;)

Re: Library status

Ryan Pavlik-4
I've pushed these changes to a lua52 branch on my github repository - here's the commit:

There is some ample room for making the source both 5.1 and 5.2 compatible: something like this is one way:
#if LUA_VERSION_NUM < 502
// pre-5.2
#else
// 5.2 and beyond
#endif

Feel free to keep working on that branch - I don't plan to go further with it until switching to lua 5.2 myself, which may be some time still.
Ryan

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Teto <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've quickly hacked luabind 0.9.1 so that it supports lua 5.2 beta. Here you go
http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/bluecosmos/utils/luabind-perso.zip
(I've suppressed some "super" related code as I don't need it and it's
deprecated anyway)
It works fine with me but I may have introduced bugs. I did it for fun
and I don't intend to fork luabind or whatever.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Teto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Ryan Pavlik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think GitHub gives us the possibility of doing a "casual" fork while we
> > don't hear from any earlier developers. As I've mentioned, I'm working on
> > it, and anyone could announce their repo as a new integration repo for
> > improvements.  It seems user-driven at this point, but there's a diversity
> > of itches and folks working on scratching them so I'm confident there will
> > still be progress.  For instance, I now have all the headers compiling
> > cleanly, and nearly all of them and the tests compiling without any warnings
> > on Clang 2.9 with -Wall -Wextra turned on.
> > Ryan
> I think so too.
> This topic is all the more interesting that lua 5.2 will soo be
> released. I am very interested in the yieldable pcall so luabind
> developers, now is the time to manifest yourselves : when will luabind
> be adapted to 5.2 ? ;)

Ryan Pavlik
HCI Graduate Student
Virtual Reality Applications Center
Iowa State University

[hidden email]
http://academic.cleardefinition.com

Re: Library status

Nigel Atkinson-2
On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 14:21 +0200, Teto wrote:
> I've quickly hacked luabind 0.9.1 so that it supports lua 5.2 beta. Here you go
> http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/bluecosmos/utils/luabind-perso.zip
> (I've suppressed some "super" related code as I don't need it and it's
> deprecated anyway)
> It works fine with me but I may have introduced bugs. I did it for fun
> and I don't intend to fork luabind or whatever.
I'm looking forward to checking out your code (too busy right now
though).  I'm quite interested in Lua 5.2's new yield mechanism.

Forking on Github is not hard and it's easy to at a later date pull any
work back into the original too.  Its more like a branch that you have
complete control over.

Nigel

Re: Library status

Ryan Pavlik-4

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Nigel Atkinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 14:21 +0200, Teto wrote:
> I've quickly hacked luabind 0.9.1 so that it supports lua 5.2 beta. Here you go
> http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/bluecosmos/utils/luabind-perso.zip
> (I've suppressed some "super" related code as I don't need it and it's
> deprecated anyway)
> It works fine with me but I may have introduced bugs. I did it for fun
> and I don't intend to fork luabind or whatever.
I'm looking forward to checking out your code (too busy right now
though).  I'm quite interested in Lua 5.2's new yield mechanism.

Forking on Github is not hard and it's easy to at a later date pull any
work back into the original too.  Its more like a branch that you have
complete control over.

Nigel

Yeah, with Git and Github, a fork isn't a big scary thing, it's the normal way of working. Unless you explicitly state otherwise, all forks are friendly.

Ryan