Latest luabind CVS problems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Latest luabind CVS problems

Tomas Puverle
(Crossposted from boost.langbind)
 
There are a few problems with luabind::detail::push_args_from_tuple<>.
 
1)  The null_type overloads for apply() both have a spurious semicolon at the 
end of the empty function definition.  This breaks the compile on the Sun 
Studio compilers.
 
2)  luabind/detail/call_function.hpp depends on push_args_from_tuple<>.  I 
would like to be able to only include luabind/function.hpp (which in turn 
includes call_function.hpp) to cut down on my compile times but at the moment 
I am also forced to include luabind/object.hpp because the header is not self 
contained.  Would it be possible to move push_args_from_tuple into a separate 
header which gets included in both locations?
 
Also, what is the current development status of luabind?  I’ve read about an effort to add luabind into boost in a single framework that merges it with boost.python.  How active is that effort?
 
Thanks a lot!
 
Tom
 

 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Latest luabind CVS problems

Arvid Norberg-2

On Oct 5, 2006, at 16:33, Tomas Puverle wrote:

> (Crossposted from boost.langbind) There are a few problems with  
> luabind::detail::push_args_from_tuple<>.

> 1) The null_type overloads for apply() both have a spurious  
> semicolon at the end of the empty function definition.  This breaks  
> the compile on the Sun Studio compilers.

Thanks, I will remove those and check in (hoping that they aren't  
required by msvc6 :P )

> 2)  luabind/detail/call_function.hpp depends on  
> push_args_from_tuple<>.  I would like to be able to only include  
> luabind/function.hpp (which in turn includes call_function.hpp) to  
> cut down on my compile times but at the moment I am also forced to  
> include luabind/object.hpp because the header is not self  
> contained.  Would it be possible to move push_args_from_tuple into  
> a separate header which gets included in both locations?

That would probably be a good idea. I'll add that to the todo-list.

> Also, what is the current development status of luabind?  I’ve read  
> about an effort to add luabind into boost in a single framework  
> that merges it with boost.python.  How active is that effort?  
> Thanks a lot! Tom

The development of luabind is more or less frozen. We don't have any  
funding for it now, but I try to drop in every now and then to the  
mailing list and fix easy problems.

As far as I know, the boost.langbinding effort does have some core  
parts and designing done, but still quite far from being finished. I  
believe it is also frozen, waiting for funding. It's mostly Daniel  
Wallin and Dave Abrahams that has been working on that.

--
Arvid Norberg



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Latest luabind CVS problems

Tomas Puverle
In reply to this post by Tomas Puverle
> That would probably be a good idea. I'll add that to the todo-list.

Would you accept patches if I make changes and submit them?  

> The development of luabind is more or less frozen.

Oh, that's not good news.

> We don't have any
> funding for it now, but I try to drop in every now and then to the
> mailing list and fix easy problems.
> As far as I know, the boost.langbinding effort does have some core
> parts and designing done, but still quite far from being finished. I
> believe it is also frozen, waiting for funding. It's mostly Daniel
> Wallin and Dave Abrahams that has been working on that.

Thanks for the update.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Latest luabind CVS problems

Arvid Norberg-2

On Oct 6, 2006, at 21:32, Tomas Puverle wrote:

>> That would probably be a good idea. I'll add that to the todo-list.
>
> Would you accept patches if I make changes and submit them?

Absolutely!

--
Arvid Norberg



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Latest luabind CVS problems

subatomic

from the luabind0.7 docs (there is push() - but no set()):
>> If you want to manipulate the object with Lua functions directly you can push it onto the Lua stack by calling push().

from the luabindb6 docs (there is pushvalue() and set()):
>> If you want to manipulate the object with lua functions directly you can push it onto the lua stack by calling pushvalue().
>> And set the object's value by calling set(), which will pop the top value from the lua stack and assign it to the object.

So, in luabind 0.7, what is the equivelent of set() ?  
I'm looking at some pre-0.7 code and trying to figure out what it does and how to rewrite it for 0.7

Also... Is there a changelist that describes these types of migration/porting topics? 
I looked in the code download, but couldn't find one....

thanks!
- Kevin

On 10/6/06, Arvid Norberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 6, 2006, at 21:32, Tomas Puverle wrote:

>> That would probably be a good idea. I'll add that to the todo-list.
>
> Would you accept patches if I make changes and submit them?

Absolutely!

--
Arvid Norberg



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user



--
Kevin Meinert
http://www.subatomicglue.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Latest luabind CVS problems

Arvid Norberg-2

On Oct 8, 2006, at 02:49, subatomic wrote:

>
> from the luabind0.7 docs (there is push() - but no set()):
> >> If you want to manipulate the object with Lua functions directly  
> you can push it onto the Lua stack by calling push().
>
> from the luabindb6 docs (there is pushvalue() and set()):
> >> If you want to manipulate the object with lua functions directly  
> you can push it onto the lua stack by calling pushvalue().
> >> And set the object's value by calling set(), which will pop the  
> top value from the lua stack and assign it to the object.
>
> So, in luabind 0.7, what is the equivelent of set() ?

There is a new constructor, if you pass it an instance of from_stack
(), which in turn takes a lua_State* and a stack index.

> I'm looking at some pre-0.7 code and trying to figure out what it  
> does and how to rewrite it for 0.7
>
> Also... Is there a changelist that describes these types of  
> migration/porting topics?

There is a changelog, but it's not very detailed, in the docs  
directory I believe.

--
Arvid Norberg



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Latest luabind CVS problems

mos-4
In reply to this post by Arvid Norberg-2

> The development of luabind is more or less frozen. We don't
> have any funding for it now, but I try to drop in every now
> and then to the mailing list and fix easy problems.
>
> As far as I know, the boost.langbinding effort does have some
> core parts and designing done, but still quite far from being
> finished. I believe it is also frozen, waiting for funding.
> It's mostly Daniel Wallin and Dave Abrahams that has been
> working on that.
>
> --
> Arvid Norberg

Very sad to heard that. I would like to pay 200$ for the great work if you
don't dislike and avoid it. I know it is very small and don't know how many
people will surpport you, and feel something silly to said such word. but I
really hope the luabind continue and survive.

mos.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Latest luabind CVS problems

Sean Barton
In reply to this post by Arvid Norberg-2
I'd also be more than happy to contribute some $$.

On 10/17/06, jiang.yu(mos) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The development of luabind is more or less frozen. We don't
> have any funding for it now, but I try to drop in every now
> and then to the mailing list and fix easy problems.
>
> As far as I know, the boost.langbinding effort does have some
> core parts and designing done, but still quite far from being
> finished. I believe it is also frozen, waiting for funding.
> It's mostly Daniel Wallin and Dave Abrahams that has been
> working on that.
>
> --
> Arvid Norberg

Very sad to heard that. I would like to pay 200$ for the great work if you
don't dislike and avoid it. I know it is very small and don't know how many
people will surpport you, and feel something silly to said such word. but I
really hope the luabind continue and survive.

mos.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
luabind-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/luabind-user