Lack of http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html & bytecode portability question

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello Lua,

there is http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/luac.html and
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/luac.html , but no
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html (i.e 5.3 version)

luac.1 included in distro is hardly readable on windows. so i wonder -
that's the best way to read luac 5.3 docs?

The  second  question:  luac  manual says that bytecode isn't portable
across  architectures,  but  can  it positively state when bytecode IS
portable?  in  particular,  can  i use the same compiled bytecode with
msvc/icc/clang/gcc  on  windows  and  icc/clang/gcc  on  linux?  Is it
portable across Lua compiled as C / C++ code?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Lack of http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html & bytecode portability question

Francisco Olarte
On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Bulat Ziganshin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> luac.1 included in distro is hardly readable on windows. so i wonder -
> that's the best way to read luac 5.3 docs?

Haven't used windows since the 2K times, but even then there existed
several distributions of the gnu and similar text utilities. If you
are minimally fluent in windows installing one of these and using
troff/man/roff/nroff should be enough ( and having some instance of
the text utilities could be useful on its own ). Also, there is an
emacs for windows, and I'm nearly sure it has a method for rendering
man pages.

Francisco Olarte.

Re: Lack of http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html & bytecode portability question

> there is http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/luac.html and
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/luac.html , but no
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html (i.e 5.3 version)

Now there is. Thanks for the nudge.

Everyone, please have a look at these man pages and see
if there is anything to be changed. All feedback is welcome.

http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/lua.html
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html

Thanks.

Re: Lack of http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html & bytecode portability question

Ross Berteig

On 10/17/2016 8:52 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> Everyone, please have a look at these man pages and see
> if there is anything to be changed. All feedback is welcome.
>
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/lua.html
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/luac.html

Looks nice.

Are these linked from any other pages on the Lua site?

I didn't spot a link to them in the "obvious" (or at least obvious to
me, today) places.

Also, for extra style points, the cross references in the See Also
sections could be live links to the other page and to lua.org and the
reference manual.

--
Ross Berteig                               [hidden email]
Cheshire Engineering Corp.           http://www.CheshireEng.com/