LUA EOS - Concept

Varanda
Sorry if this is a duplication... I do not see my message in today's history. I am not sure if initial post is moderated or if I did not post it correctly.
Anyways, here we go once again:

Hello All,

I would like to share a project that I am starting: The LUA EOS
It provides an event driven non-preemptive LUA tasks for embedded systems.
Yes, nothing new as Coroutines are already there. But the idea is to put together a
framework to make easier the integration between app layer  and the native RTOS
implementation.

It is the same successful idea that has been used in many systems where Java provides a
secure way for end users to write applications without compromising the native
implementation. Similarly,  LUA replaces Java for the same means.

LUA EOS intents to provide a ready to use framework with a LUA scheduler on top of
FreeRTOS. BTW... there is a small OS abstraction layer and it can actually run on top of
other OS's. Its simulator based on Qt is an example.

The following video shows the concept:
https://rumble.com/veh9ed-lua-eos-for-embedded-systems.html

In Portuguese:
https://rumble.com/veh9lv-lua-eos-systema-operacional-para-embarcados.html

I am still figuring out its license model but I would like to make it free for
non-commercial use (licensed otherwise). I am trying to get sponsorship from Semiconductor
suppliers to port the framework to their targets. I hope that works out in getting
resources to the project.

Anyone seriously considering to join this project please let me know. We can share the
cake if the project gears up.

Regards,
Marcelo Varanda

Re: LUA EOS - Concept

Jonathan Goble
On Wed, Mar 10, 2021, 7:13 PM Marcelo Varanda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry if this is a duplication... I do not see my message in today's history. I am not sure if initial post is moderated or if I did not post it correctly.

Your original post reached my inbox approximately 12 hours ago.

The archives for this list are often slow to update. I sometimes do not see a message appear in the archives until the next day.

Re: LUA EOS - Concept

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> The archives for this list are often slow to update. I sometimes do not see a message appear in the archives until the next day.

Indeed. The archives at http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/ are updated
once daily. I guess at 10:00 UTC.

The post in question is in the archives:

For realtime archives, see
https://listmaster.pepperfish.net/hyperkitty/list/lua-l@.../
and  the MARC archives:
https://marc.info/?l=lua-l

Re: LUA EOS - Concept

On Wed, 2021-03-10 at 19:13 -0500, Marcelo Varanda wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to share a project that I am starting: The LUA EOS
> It provides an event driven non-preemptive LUA tasks for embedded
> systems.

I can't help but note that it's called Lua, not LUA.

Also, is it a good idea to add an abstraction layer above FreeRTOS
(that allows to run anywhere)? Speed is usually very important on
microcontrollers and additional abstractions may reduce it.
v <[hidden email]>

Re: LUA EOS - Concept

Varanda
Thanks V, It does have already an OS wrapper (the MOS). Under Qt I am MOS is using POSIX as FreeRTOS port to desktop GCC is not stable: timer service gets stuck (random); this is a known problem when interacting with Win32 and mutex does not make any good for win32 calls.