Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Aaron B.

While thinking about the future of my current projects, I realized I
have no idea what the greater state of Lua as a web development
language looks like.

If anyone is willing to participate, please respond to the below
questions off list. I'll collate the responses and post the results
seven days from now.

1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
etc)

2) What web or application server is used in production?

3) Which version of Lua?

4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)

Thanks in advance to any volunteers.

Aaron B. <[hidden email]>

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

szbnwer@gmail.com
hi! :)

1 -
2 turbolua.org (not yet in production)
3 luajit 2.0.4
4 5

because i've searched for something that is small, fast and works out
of the box without having tons of dependencies. because i wanna leave
opened the door for any kinda customization, so i've chose for my
goals as small tools as possible, while being fast and flexible. i
needed only tls, ipv6 and luajit support, but i have so many aims,
instead of concentrating on web, but this will be enough i think...
actually i'm at the beginning with it, but probably this is the best
ground for having a full featured and fully customizable fund. 2nd
consideration was openresty, but thats not really something like i
would like to learn in depths, even if i think it' a great stuff.

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

szbnwer@gmail.com
sorry i've just seen you asked for 'off list'...

> hi! :)
>
> 1 -
> 2 turbolua.org (not yet in production)
> 3 luajit 2.0.4
> 4 5
>
> because i've searched for something that is small, fast and works out
> of the box without having tons of dependencies. because i wanna leave
> opened the door for any kinda customization, so i've chose for my
> goals as small tools as possible, while being fast and flexible. i
> needed only tls, ipv6 and luajit support, but i have so many aims,
> instead of concentrating on web, but this will be enough i think...
> actually i'm at the beginning with it, but probably this is the best
> ground for having a full featured and fully customizable fund. 2nd
> consideration was openresty, but thats not really something like i
> would like to learn in depths, even if i think it' a great stuff.

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Daurnimator
On 14 July 2017 at 08:54, Aaron B. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While thinking about the future of my current projects, I realized I
> have no idea what the greater state of Lua as a web development
> language looks like.
>
> If anyone is willing to participate, please respond to the below
> questions off list. I'll collate the responses and post the results
> seven days from now.
>

> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
> etc)

None: I don't tend to use web "frameworks" in *any* language.

> 2) What web or application server is used in production?

openresty for now.
lua-http in the near future.

> 3) Which version of Lua?

LuaJIT (so, lua 5.1) because I don't really have a choice in openresty.
However I use lua 5.3 everywhere else.

> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)

2.

openresty has it's own insular community of incompatible modules,
without a way to interoperate with modules *not* written with
openresty in mind I have no desire to continue using it except as a
simple reverse proxy doing url rewriting.
(Main thing required is a way to wait on my own file descriptors. see
https://github.com/openresty/lua-nginx-module/pull/450)

lua-http solves much of it for me, it just needs a little more
hardening before I want to have it directly facing the internet
e.g. https://github.com/daurnimator/lua-http/issues/64 needs fixing,
or else a http 2 client could cause huge memory usage by the server.

fengari (http://fengari.io/) is an exciting upcoming way to write lua
on the browser side.

It was thus said that the Great Aaron B. once stated:

> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
> etc)

  My own.  I'm not a fan of frameworks.  Also, I don't do a lot of web work,
regardless of language (or framework).

> 2) What web or application server is used in production?

  Apache.

> 3) Which version of Lua?

  Lua 5.1.5.  It works, and I haven't bothered updating it yet.

> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)

  4.  It may not be perfect (what is) but since I wrote it, I can understand
it.

  -spc

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Marc Balmer
Am 14. Juli 2017 um 00:55:20, Aaron B. ([hidden email]) schrieb:

While thinking about the future of my current projects, I realized I
have no idea what the greater state of Lua as a web development
language looks like.

If anyone is willing to participate, please respond to the below
questions off list. I'll collate the responses and post the results
seven days from now.

1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
etc)

Lua Templates (not yet published as open source)

2) What web or application server is used in production?

nginx with FastCGI

3) Which version of Lua?

5.3.4

4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Tobias Kieslich

Quoting "Aaron B." <[hidden email]>:

> While thinking about the future of my current projects, I realized I
> have no idea what the greater state of Lua as a web development
> language looks like.
>
> If anyone is willing to participate, please respond to the below
> questions off list. I'll collate the responses and post the results
> seven days from now.
>

> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
> etc)
Like many others I'm not a fan of frameworks.

https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t

> 3) Which version of Lua?
5.3.x

> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)
>

> Thanks in advance to any volunteers.
>
> --
> Aaron B. <[hidden email]>

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Tobias Kieslich

Quoting "Aaron B." <[hidden email]>:

Sorry, I got confused with the web interface not being vim ...

> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
> etc)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of frameworks either, like it seems most folks here

> 2) What web or application server is used in production?
https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t
The HTTP server is broken right now but I'm working on restoring it. Had
to the binary packing/parsing stuff first. Also these days I do more
single page apps (read lots of JavaScript on the client) before I used:
https://github.com/tobbik/parcle/blob/master/lib/Parclate.lua for HTML
templating.

> 3) Which version of Lua?
5.3.x

> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)
3 It still needs a lot of work which I can work around since I wrote it

  -tobbik

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

szbnwer@gmail.com
hi Tobias! i've just found a typo for you in the readme: 'versuions'

> Quoting "Aaron B." <[hidden email]>:
>
> Sorry, I got confused with the web interface not being vim ...
>
>> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
>> etc)
>
> Yeah, I'm not a fan of frameworks either, like it seems most folks here
>
>> 2) What web or application server is used in production?
>
> https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t
> The HTTP server is broken right now but I'm working on restoring it. Had
> to the binary packing/parsing stuff first. Also these days I do more
> single page apps (read lots of JavaScript on the client) before I used:
> https://github.com/tobbik/parcle/blob/master/lib/Parclate.lua for HTML
> templating.
>
>> 3) Which version of Lua?
>
> 5.3.x
>
>> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
>> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)
>
> 3 It still needs a lot of work which I can work around since I wrote it
>
>  -tobbik

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Tobias Kieslich

Quoting [hidden email]:

> hi Tobias! i've just found a typo for you in the readme: 'versuions'
Thank you, fixed locally. I guess I had a surplus of vowels :-P

  -tobbik

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

François Perrad

Quoting "Aaron B." <[hidden email]>:

While thinking about the future of my current projects, I realized I
have no idea what the greater state of Lua as a web development
language looks like.

If anyone is willing to participate, please respond to the below
questions off list. I'll collate the responses and post the results
seven days from now.

1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
etc)
Like many others I'm not a fan of frameworks.

I see there are not many fan of framework.
But what about template engine (cosmo, lustache, lust, ...) ?

François

2) What web or application server is used in production?
https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t

3) Which version of Lua?
5.3.x

4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)

Thanks in advance to any volunteers.

--
Aaron B. <[hidden email]>

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Sean Conner
It was thus said that the Great François Perrad once stated:

> I see there are not many fan of framework.
> But what about template engine (cosmo, lustache, lust, ...) ?

  I wrote my own [1].  Just two functions, one works on strings, and the
other one that will read a file and call the first one.  A sample call:

        TEMPLATE = "Hello %{name}%, you are %{age}% years old."
        CALLBACKS =
        {
          name = "Sean",
          age = function(data)
            if data then
              return data.age
            else
              return math.random(99)

        output = template(TEMPLATE,CALLBACKS, { age = 22 })

  -spc (Didn't need anything complicated)

[1] https://github.com/spc476/lua-conmanorg/blob/1ce4454b0a458fbe8668be7aafb0bd8016098c9a/lua/string.lua#L58

Sol

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Sol
1. no framework
2. OpenResty
3. LuaJIT 2.0.5 / Lua 5.1
4. 5

> While thinking about the future of my current projects, I realized I
> have no idea what the greater state of Lua as a web development
> language looks like.
>
> If anyone is willing to participate, please respond to the below
> questions off list. I'll collate the responses and post the results
> seven days from now.
>

> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
> etc)
>
> 2) What web or application server is used in production?
>
> 3) Which version of Lua?
>
> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)
>

> Thanks in advance to any volunteers.
>
> --
> Aaron B. <[hidden email]>

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Pierre Chapuis
July 14, 2017 12:54 AM, "Aaron B." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
> etc)

No framework; all my Web services are only serving APIs now, no HTML.

Up to last year, I was using Lapis.

> 2) What web or application server is used in production?

OpenResty and Xavante.

> 3) Which version of Lua?

LuaJIT for OpenResty,

> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)

3.

For small API services I like Xavante (behind nginx). For larger websites
I would use OpenResty but I don't like the fact that it's stuck with LuaJIT.

If I had to run serious Web services in Lua again, I would probably fork
OpenResty to run on top of Lua 5.3.

Pierre Chapuis

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Sam Chang
1. luafan (https://github.com/luafan/luafan) + webase
3. luajit / lua 5.3
4. 5
On 15 Jul 2017, at 00:30, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Russell Haley
On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:04 PM, François Perrad

>> Quoting "Aaron B." <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> While thinking about the future of my current projects, I realized I
>>> have no idea what the greater state of Lua as a web development
>>> language looks like.
>>>
>>> If anyone is willing to participate, please respond to the below
>>> questions off list. I'll collate the responses and post the results
>>> seven days from now.
>>>

>>> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
>>> etc)
>>
>> Like many others I'm not a fan of frameworks.
>>

> I see there are not many fan of framework.
> But what about template engine (cosmo, lustache, lust, ...) ?

Francois, thanks for bringing these up. I think I will give your
CodeGen a spin for generating http submit forms on an embdded target
with a lua-http server instance. I haven't looked yet if you have any
pre-existing templates.

http://fperrad.github.com/lua-CodeGen

I had a late night IM discussion once with daurnimator about his
lua-http server. I was looking for the words to describe templating
and frameworks. I asked him what "scripting language" he was using
with the server and he did the IM equivalent of looking at me like I
had three heads ("um... Lua?"). I don't want a full web MVC stack so
something small like CodeGen or cosmo is appealing.

Russ

> François
>

>>> 2) What web or application server is used in production?
>>
>> https://github.com/tobbik/lua-t
>>>

>>> 3) Which version of Lua?
>>
>> 5.3.x
>>

>>> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
>>> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance to any volunteers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Aaron B. <[hidden email]>

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

Jay Carlson

On Jul 13, 2017, at 6:54 PM, Aaron B. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
> etc)

This is lua-l, and I am shocked, shocked that most everybody posting builds their own lightsabers.

Jay

Re: Informal Poll: Lua Web Development

szbnwer@gmail.com
> This is lua-l, and I am shocked, shocked that most everybody posting builds their own lightsabers.

you can see it as weakness and strength both :)
and people have different needs
and diversity and natural selection is always good :)

July 15, 2017 6:41 PM, "Sam Chang" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. luafan (https://github.com/luafan/luafan) + webase
> 2. https://github.com/luafan/webase
> 3. luajit / lua 5.3
> 4. 5

Do you have an example website made with this stack (with source code)?

--
Pierre Chapuis