Import data

richardereyes
Does anybody know how to import data from a text file for example to a
database in plua?, I have my data in a file and I would like to import
it to my database instead of entering it my self...

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Import data

Marcelo G Huerta
El 24/11/2006 a las 15:58, richardereyes <[hidden email]>
dijo, en su mensaje "[plua] Import data":

> Does anybody know how to import data from a text file for example to
> a database in plua?, I have my data in a file and I would like to
> import it to my database instead of entering it my self...

Fast answer: it depends on the structure of the database.

Long answer: you should:

1. Get a library/component/whatever for your favorite programming
   language to create and edit Palm databases.
2. For each record in your database:
   a. Convert each field to a format which can be properly decoded by
      bin.unpack()
   b. Concatenate them in a buffer.
   c. Create a new record in the Palm database file in your computer.
   d. Resize the record to the size of the buffer.
   e. Add the buffer contents as the Palm record content.
   f. Close the Palm database record.
   g. Lather, rinse, repeat.
3. Hotsync the database.

                    o-=< Marcelo >=-o

RE: Import data

Emil Tchekov-3

If you have M$ Office ver. 9 (=2000) or above, you can
try the ET_TOOLS (Files section of the group) - this
is set of VBA Makros that can read/create Plua stream
DB.

Be warned that I never found enough time to make them
really proper, but since you are fluent in VB it
should be no problem to see how they work and to
correct what is improper. (Source is not protected and
also partial commented).

Possible workaround is to:

1) Open your text file in Excel (you have to play
around with Textfile filter of excel until you get
your information in proper columns/lines)
2) start the makro (choose which type the information
does the columns content - String, Float, B etc.) eg.
create code/encode string
3) Create streamDB
4) Transfer the DB in your preffered way (Hotsync,
Flashcard etc.)

This is the way that I am using for the PGraph's db
that contains the GUI text for 3 Languages in a Table
form. (I am editing the file in Excel) Ok. Ok.
StreamED has also a module that can read/write stream
db, but my editor is'nt as good as Excel (no import
feauture for text file etc.)

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Emil Tchekov

--- richardereyes <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> Does anybody know how to import data from a text
> file for example to a
> database in plua?, I have my data in a file and I
> would like to import
> it to my database instead of entering it my self...
>

> Thanks,
> Richard
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

RE: Import data

richardereyes
Thank you Marcelo.

  Emil I downloaded the addin but when I try to select it in Excel it saids "file not found".

  I don´t know if it is because my windows is in spanish.

  Regards,
  Richard

Emil Tchekov <[hidden email]> wrote:
          Hi,

If you have M$ Office ver. 9 (=2000) or above, you can
try the ET_TOOLS (Files section of the group) - this
is set of VBA Makros that can read/create Plua stream
DB.

Be warned that I never found enough time to make them
really proper, but since you are fluent in VB it
should be no problem to see how they work and to
correct what is improper. (Source is not protected and
also partial commented).

Possible workaround is to:

1) Open your text file in Excel (you have to play
around with Textfile filter of excel until you get
your information in proper columns/lines)
2) start the makro (choose which type the information
does the columns content - String, Float, B etc.) eg.
create code/encode string
3) Create streamDB
4) Transfer the DB in your preffered way (Hotsync,
Flashcard etc.)

This is the way that I am using for the PGraph's db
that contains the GUI text for 3 Languages in a Table
form. (I am editing the file in Excel) Ok. Ok.
StreamED has also a module that can read/write stream
db, but my editor is'nt as good as Excel (no import
feauture for text file etc.)

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Emil Tchekov

--- richardereyes <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> Does anybody know how to import data from a text
> file for example to a
> database in plua?, I have my data in a file and I
> would like to import
> it to my database instead of entering it my self...
>

> Thanks,
> Richard
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Re: Import data

Andy Colson
On 11/24/06, richardereyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Does anybody know how to import data from a text file for example to a
> database in plua?, I have my data in a file and I would like to import
> it to my database instead of entering it my self...
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Hi Richard,

I use a program called pdbc, here the url:

http://www.obermuhlner.com/public/Projects/Palm/PDBC/index.html

you have to rewrite your textfile into pdbc format (like a compiled
language) and then you run pdbc on it and it spits out a .pdb you just copy
to your palm.

-Andy

RE: Import data

Emil Tchekov-3

>   Emil I downloaded the addin but when I try to
> select it in Excel it saids "file not found".
>
>   I don´t know if it is because my windows is in
> spanish.

What do you mean? There are 2 ways to start the
add-in:

Double-click on ET_PDB_TOOLS.xla or over Add-Ins menu
in Excel. You have to say yes on the security question
("There are makros in this project").

Please provide me with more specific information then
I  will be able to help.

Very best regards

Emil Tchekov

RE: Import data

richardereyes
Emil:
  I tried both ways, it just gives me the error, it doesn´t ask me the security question.

  my security level is at middle, so it ask me if I want to run macros.

  Andy:
  Thank you, I will check that program too.

  Regards,
  Richard

Emil Tchekov <[hidden email]> wrote:
          Hi,

> Emil I downloaded the addin but when I try to
> select it in Excel it saids "file not found".
>
> I don´t know if it is because my windows is in
> spanish.

What do you mean? There are 2 ways to start the
add-in:

Double-click on ET_PDB_TOOLS.xla or over Add-Ins menu
in Excel. You have to say yes on the security question
("There are makros in this project").

Please provide me with more specific information then
I will be able to help.

Very best regards

Emil Tchekov

RE: Import data

Emil Tchekov-3
Hi,

>   I tried both ways, it just gives me the error, it
> doesn´t ask me the security question.

??? If you are clicking on the file, then why "File
not found?". Very intriguing. I did not get any
problems starting this add-in on different
configurations running Windows (98,2K,XP) and Office
2K and 2003 (english or german or even mixed). Both on
real PCs and in virtual machine. I never get this
error message...

Do you have Open Office? You can try to open the file
in Calc, extract the source code and create new Add-in
in your Office.

Or I can send you the source ready to import in VBA.

Regards

Emil