Icons and anti-aliasing

Gavin Wraith
Just had a look at the 256x256 png, and I am sorry to say
that it looks very crude and jagged on my display compared
to the Lua logos I already have. Despite the 32bpp it is
supposed to be, it appears not to use any antialiasing.
What is the point of having 16 million colours available
if you do not use them to make curves look smooth?

Gavin Wraith ([hidden email])
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/

RE: Icons and anti-aliasing

Jerome Vuarand-2
If you're talking about my icons, they're anti-aliased and translucent. Maybe transluency is not well handled by your png loader. I don't have any access to a Xwindow, but with all the software I tried to visualize my png they looked ok. Specifically I tried to put them on a html page rendered by mozilla (seamonkey) with different background colors and it always seem nice. It is still possible that my png generator don't generate standard compliant png.

Re: Icons and anti-aliasing

David Haley
On this day of 5-4-2006 7:22 AM, Jerome Vuarand saw fit to scribe:
> If you're talking about my icons, they're anti-aliased and translucent. Maybe transluency is not well handled by your png loader. I don't have any access to a Xwindow, but with all the software I tried to visualize my png they looked ok. Specifically I tried to put them on a html page rendered by mozilla (seamonkey) with different background colors and it always seem nice. It is still possible that my png generator don't generate standard compliant png.

For me, the first set of png icons you released were fine (other than
there being too many dashes). The second set was not well aliased around
the dashes, but looked fine for everything else. Maybe Gavin was
referring to the problem with the dashes.

Cheers,
- David

--
~David-Haley
http://david.the-haleys.org

Re: Icons and anti-aliasing

Gavin Wraith
In message <[hidden email]> you wrote:

> On this day of 5-4-2006 7:22 AM, Jerome Vuarand saw fit to scribe:
> > If you're talking about my icons, they're anti-aliased and
>> translucent. Maybe transluency is not well handled by your png
>> loader. I don't have any access to a Xwindow, but with all the
>> software I tried to visualize my png they looked ok. Specifically I
>> tried to put them on a html page rendered by mozilla (seamonkey)
>> with different background colors and it always seem nice. It is
>> still possible that my png generator don't generate standard
>> compliant png.
> >

> For me, the first set of png icons you released were fine (other than
> there being too many dashes). The second set was not well aliased
> around the dashes, but looked fine for everything else. Maybe Gavin
> was referring to the problem with the dashes.

No, it was the edge of the "earth". But I have solved the mystery.
It was a rather an old piece of software (png2sprite) that I tried
first. My browser, on the other hand, displays them fine and they look
good. So many apologies for starting a hare; I should have checked more
widely first - story of my life.