IUP and Ubuntu

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

IUP and Ubuntu

Dirk Laurie
Being curious to see Steve Litt's presentation, I installed IUP.
Not too much joy so far.

My default lua is lua5.1 as supplied in Ubuntu Lucid.
I downloaded iup-3.4_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz into a new directory.
No instructions, but three files with suggestive names which
I ran in the following order (a typical line of output is shown):

    sudo ./install
...
`libiuplua51.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
...
    sudo ./install_dev
...
`include/iup.h' -> `/usr/include/iup/iup.h'
...
    sudo ./config_lua_module
...
`iuplua.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
...

Then I tried it out, not getting past square one, thus:  

$ lua
Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> require"iuplua"
attempt to call a nil value
stack traceback:
    [C]: ?
    [C]: in function 'require'
    stdin:1: in main chunk
    [C]: ?
>

Dirk

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

joao lobato
On 23-02-2011 09:51, Dirk Laurie wrote:

> Being curious to see Steve Litt's presentation, I installed IUP.
> Not too much joy so far.
>
> My default lua is lua5.1 as supplied in Ubuntu Lucid.
> I downloaded iup-3.4_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz into a new directory.
> No instructions, but three files with suggestive names which
> I ran in the following order (a typical line of output is shown):
>
>     sudo ./install
> ...
> `libiuplua51.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
> ...
>     sudo ./install_dev
> ...
> `include/iup.h' -> `/usr/include/iup/iup.h'
> ...
>     sudo ./config_lua_module
> ...
> `iuplua.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
> ...
>
> Then I tried it out, not getting past square one, thus:  
>
> $ lua
> Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
>> require"iuplua"
> attempt to call a nil value
> stack traceback:
>     [C]: ?
>     [C]: in function 'require'
>     stdin:1: in main chunk
>     [C]: ?
>>
>
> Dirk
>

I think you need a different interpreter to use iup. wlua?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

steve donovan
In reply to this post by Dirk Laurie
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    sudo ./config_lua_module
> ...
> `iuplua.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'

Ah, but what's actually on the Lua module path?

_Should_ work with regular Lua...

steve d.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

Michal Kolodziejczyk-3
In reply to this post by Dirk Laurie
On 23.02.2011 10:51, Dirk Laurie wrote:

> Then I tried it out, not getting past square one, thus:  
>
> $ lua

Try this:
$ LUA_CPATH="/usr/lib/lib?.so" lua -l iuplua51

Regards,
miko

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: IUP and Ubuntu

Antonio Scuri
In reply to this post by Dirk Laurie
  Hi,

  I'm going to re-test the distribution files. This was a bug in the 3.3
distribution files. But it should not happen in 3.4. I'll return to you
soon.

Best,
scuri

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> On Behalf Of Dirk Laurie
> Sent: quarta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2011 06:51
> To: Lua mailing list
> Subject: IUP and Ubuntu
>
> Being curious to see Steve Litt's presentation, I installed IUP.
> Not too much joy so far.
>
> My default lua is lua5.1 as supplied in Ubuntu Lucid.
> I downloaded iup-3.4_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz into a new directory.
> No instructions, but three files with suggestive names which
> I ran in the following order (a typical line of output is shown):
>
>     sudo ./install
> ...
> `libiuplua51.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
> ...
>     sudo ./install_dev
> ...
> `include/iup.h' -> `/usr/include/iup/iup.h'
> ...
>     sudo ./config_lua_module
> ...
> `iuplua.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
> ...
>
> Then I tried it out, not getting past square one, thus:
>
> $ lua
> Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> > require"iuplua"
> attempt to call a nil value
> stack traceback:
>     [C]: ?
>     [C]: in function 'require'
>     stdin:1: in main chunk
>     [C]: ?
> >
>
> Dirk


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: IUP and Ubuntu

Antonio Scuri
In reply to this post by joao lobato
 
> I think you need a different interpreter to use iup. wlua?

  No, you don't. This is just a way to say that it is a script that will
show a GUI interface. It is something we used in Lua for Windows to avoid a
console screen to popup while running the script.

Best,
Scuri



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: IUP and Ubuntu

Antonio Scuri
In reply to this post by Michal Kolodziejczyk-3

> Try this:
> $ LUA_CPATH="/usr/lib/lib?.so" lua -l iuplua51

  After running the installation scripts this is not necessary anymore.
Notice that in the error reported the library is actually loaded but fail
internally. I'm going to check this.

Best,
Scuri



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

joao lobato
In reply to this post by Antonio Scuri
On 23-02-2011 14:12, Antonio Scuri wrote:

>  
>> I think you need a different interpreter to use iup. wlua?
>
>   No, you don't. This is just a way to say that it is a script that will
> show a GUI interface. It is something we used in Lua for Windows to avoid a
> console screen to popup while running the script.
>
> Best,
> Scuri
>
>
>
Oh, sorry. I was conveying half-remembered, wrong information.

On a related note, glad to hear it :)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by Dirk Laurie
On Wednesday 23 February 2011 04:51:27 Dirk Laurie wrote:

> Being curious to see Steve Litt's presentation, I installed IUP.
> Not too much joy so far.
>
> My default lua is lua5.1 as supplied in Ubuntu Lucid.
> I downloaded iup-3.4_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz into a new directory.
> No instructions, but three files with suggestive names which
> I ran in the following order (a typical line of output is shown):
>
>     sudo ./install
> ...
> `libiuplua51.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
> ...
>     sudo ./install_dev
> ...
> `include/iup.h' -> `/usr/include/iup/iup.h'
> ...
>     sudo ./config_lua_module
> ...
> `iuplua.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
> ...
>
> Then I tried it out, not getting past square one, thus:
>
> $ lua
> Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
>
> > require"iuplua"
>
> attempt to call a nil value
> stack traceback:
>     [C]: ?
>     [C]: in function 'require'
>     stdin:1: in main chunk
>     [C]: ?
>
>

Hi Dirk (and everyone else)

A couple things I learned about IUP and Ubuntu

1) If your processor is 64 bit, only the 64 bit IUP will work. Crazy, but
that's what I found.

2) You have to go "version shopping" when installing IUP. If 3.4 won't work
(and it probably won't -- as I remember it didn't work for me), then try 3.3,
3.2, 3.1, 3.0. IIRC I had to go all the way back to 3.0 for Ubuntu 9.10. My
Ubuntu 10.04, IIRC, worked with 3.3.

3) On some IUP versions for Ubuntu, there's  a second script to do some
compilation. Sometimes you must do that before doing sudo ./install.

4) The ./install script really just copies .so files to /usr/lib, as far as I
can tell. On at least some versions it copies only libiup*.so, so you might
have to manually copy the other lib*.so in the directory.

5) Remember, unlike most tarballs, this tarball puts lots of files in the
current directory, rather than putting one subdirectory in the current
directory.

6) Boy, I wish I could remember it now, but after installation it can give
this certain error message (not the one you got Dirk), and you have to google
the error message and install some fairly well known package that you would
have thought was for some completely different purpose.

COMMENT: It is ridiculousness like the preceding six points, and the
reputation of uncompilability of IUP that keeps me from recommending it. Once
installed, IUP is absolutely wonderful, mapping extremely well to the fields,
picklists, forms and menus you need for a data driven app, without all the
extraneous complication of many other graphic libraries. But installation
insanity keeps it from being useful in software meant for others to use, and
even in-house, I wouldn't want a mission critical piece of software to stop
working when I upgraded my Linux.

If anyone knows IUP's developers/maintainers, please give them the message for
me that their top priority, by at least a factor of ten, should be
installability. They have plenty of excellent features as it is, but from
listening to the list, less than 1 in 10 people who attempt installation
succeed, making their software almost useless. It's a real shame and a real
waste.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by steve donovan
On Wednesday 23 February 2011 06:57:26 steve donovan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >    sudo ./config_lua_module
> > ...
> > `iuplua.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
>
> Ah, but what's actually on the Lua module path?
>
> _Should_ work with regular Lua...

As far as I know, I was using regular Lua. The wlua command on my box produces
a "command not found".

StevET

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by Antonio Scuri
On Wednesday 23 February 2011 09:10:46 Antonio Scuri wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   I'm going to re-test the distribution files. This was a bug in the 3.3
> distribution files. But it should not happen in 3.4. I'll return to you
> soon.
>
> Best,
> scuri

Scuri,

If you need any help, any help at all, improving the installability of IUP,
I'll be glad to help. The way I see it you have a spectacular product, and if
it were easily installable, EVERYONE would be using it.

Personally, I'd love for IUP to be my main Lua GUI interface. It makes sense,
it's easy, it just feels right. But until the installability problem is fixed,
I can't use it for any software vital to my business, and I have just such a
need right now.

So I'll help in any way I can.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: IUP and Ubuntu

Antonio Scuri

  Thanks Steve. Hope to solve this issue ASAP.

Best,
scuri

> Scuri,
>
> If you need any help, any help at all, improving the installability of
> IUP,
> I'll be glad to help. The way I see it you have a spectacular product,
> and if
> it were easily installable, EVERYONE would be using it.
>
> Personally, I'd love for IUP to be my main Lua GUI interface. It makes
> sense,
> it's easy, it just feels right. But until the installability problem is
> fixed,
> I can't use it for any software vital to my business, and I have just
> such a
> need right now.
>
> So I'll help in any way I can.
>
> Thanks
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Recession Relief Package
> http://www.recession-relief.US
> Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

Steve Litt
Any help you need, you've got it!

SteveT

On Wednesday 23 February 2011 11:22:00 Antonio Scuri wrote:

>   Thanks Steve. Hope to solve this issue ASAP.
>
> Best,
> scuri
>
> > Scuri,
> >
> > If you need any help, any help at all, improving the installability of
> > IUP,
> > I'll be glad to help. The way I see it you have a spectacular product,
> > and if
> > it were easily installable, EVERYONE would be using it.
> >
> > Personally, I'd love for IUP to be my main Lua GUI interface. It makes
> > sense,
> > it's easy, it just feels right. But until the installability problem is
> > fixed,
> > I can't use it for any software vital to my business, and I have just
> > such a
> > need right now.
> >
> > So I'll help in any way I can.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > Recession Relief Package
> > http://www.recession-relief.US
> > Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: IUP and Ubuntu

Antonio Scuri
  The help I need most is feedback about the installation process.

  I still don't have time to build a RPM or debian package so I can submit
to their repositories. This certainly will make the installation easier. But
that's a kind of help that takes a lot of time.

  So I have to rely only on the binaries packages I build and pack. The
problem is that not always the system I use to build is the same the user
has. And some rebuild must be done from sources.

  The installation scripts were first introduced in 3.3, and had some
improvements for 3.4. But they need more testing.

  The problem Dirk reported is something else. It shouldn't happen at all.

Best,
scuri

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> On Behalf Of Steve Litt
> Sent: quarta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2011 13:29
> To: Lua mailing list
> Subject: Re: IUP and Ubuntu
>
> Any help you need, you've got it!
>
> SteveT
>
> On Wednesday 23 February 2011 11:22:00 Antonio Scuri wrote:
> >   Thanks Steve. Hope to solve this issue ASAP.
> >
> > Best,
> > scuri
> >
> > > Scuri,
> > >
> > > If you need any help, any help at all, improving the installability
> of
> > > IUP,
> > > I'll be glad to help. The way I see it you have a spectacular
> product,
> > > and if
> > > it were easily installable, EVERYONE would be using it.
> > >
> > > Personally, I'd love for IUP to be my main Lua GUI interface. It
> makes
> > > sense,
> > > it's easy, it just feels right. But until the installability
> problem is
> > > fixed,
> > > I can't use it for any software vital to my business, and I have
> just
> > > such a
> > > need right now.
> > >
> > > So I'll help in any way I can.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > SteveT
> > >
> > > Steve Litt
> > > Recession Relief Package
> > > http://www.recession-relief.US
> > > Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stevelitt



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

Enrico Tassi-3
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 02:15:29PM -0300, Antonio Scuri wrote:
>   I still don't have time to build a RPM or debian package so I can submit
> to their repositories. This certainly will make the installation easier. But
> that's a kind of help that takes a lot of time.

I could _help_ for Debian (and derivatives) packages, but I don't have
personal interest in IUP so I won't do the packaging by myself. I if you
find some time and need assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
--
Enrico Tassi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: IUP and Ubuntu

Antonio Scuri
  Ok. Thanks. When I start this I will certainly need some assistance.

Thanks,
scuri

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> On Behalf Of Enrico Tassi
> Sent: quarta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2011 16:39
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: IUP and Ubuntu
>
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 02:15:29PM -0300, Antonio Scuri wrote:
> >   I still don't have time to build a RPM or debian package so I can
> submit
> > to their repositories. This certainly will make the installation
> easier. But
> > that's a kind of help that takes a lot of time.
>
> I could _help_ for Debian (and derivatives) packages, but I don't have
> personal interest in IUP so I won't do the packaging by myself. I if
> you
> find some time and need assistance, don't hesitate to ask.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Enrico Tassi


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: IUP and Ubuntu

Antonio Scuri
In reply to this post by Dirk Laurie
  Hi Dirk,

  I unpacked and tested iup-3.4_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz but no error occurred.

  I unpacked and tested iup-3.3_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz and the error you
describe occurred.

  Maybe you downloaded 3.3 version by mistake?

Best,
scuri

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> On Behalf Of Dirk Laurie
> Sent: quarta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2011 06:51
> To: Lua mailing list
> Subject: IUP and Ubuntu
>
> Being curious to see Steve Litt's presentation, I installed IUP.
> Not too much joy so far.
>
> My default lua is lua5.1 as supplied in Ubuntu Lucid.
> I downloaded iup-3.4_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz into a new directory.
> No instructions, but three files with suggestive names which
> I ran in the following order (a typical line of output is shown):
>
>     sudo ./install
> ...
> `libiuplua51.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
> ...
>     sudo ./install_dev
> ...
> `include/iup.h' -> `/usr/include/iup/iup.h'
> ...
>     sudo ./config_lua_module
> ...
> `iuplua.so' -> `/usr/lib/libiuplua51.so'
> ...
>
> Then I tried it out, not getting past square one, thus:
>
> $ lua
> Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> > require"iuplua"
> attempt to call a nil value
> stack traceback:
>     [C]: ?
>     [C]: in function 'require'
>     stdin:1: in main chunk
>     [C]: ?
> >
>
> Dirk


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

Dirk Laurie
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 03:18:29PM +0200, Antonio Scuri wrote:
>
>   I unpacked and tested iup-3.4_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz but no error occurred.
>
>   I unpacked and tested iup-3.3_Linux26g4_lib.tar.gz and the error you
> describe occurred.
>
I had installed 3.3 before 3.4 so it is possible that the system
was still seeing it.  So after reading the above, I did the following:

1. Carefully read the 3.3 install and config_lua_module scripts.
2. Manually removed the files created by the 3.3 scripts.
3. Reran the 3.4 scripts.
4. Tried 'require "iuplua"' again.  
    This time I got an error that the module was not found.  
5. Carefully read the output from install, still visible on the terminal,
     and discovered that the files went into /usr/lib64, not /usr/lib.
6. Ran lua with an expanded package.path as follows:  

$ lua
Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> package.path = package.path .. ";/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/?.so"
> require "iuplua"
error loading module 'iuplua' from file '/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/iuplua.so':
    /usr/lib64/lua/5.1/iuplua.so:1: unexpected symbol near 'char(127)'
stack traceback:
    [C]: ?
    [C]: in function 'require'
    stdin:1: in main chunk
    [C]: ?

7. Chaecked that the only other package on my system that uses
    /usr/lib64 is fakeroot, which I used once a long time ago.
    Removed fakeroot using aptitude, and deleted all of /usr/lib64
    recursively.
8. Reran the 3.4 scripts.    
9. Ran lua again.  No error this time:
$ lua
Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> require"iuplua"
>
10. Tried Steve's presentation.  I'll report on that in a separate
    post.  It worked eventually.

Remarks:

1. The error was caused mainly because the test

if [ -d /usr/lib64 ]; then
  SYSTEM_LIB=/usr/lib64
else
  SYSTEM_LIB=/usr/lib
fi

is too simplistic.

2. The typical Unix user feels disoriented if a tarball contains
    no README or INSTALL.  Some of the things the scripts say could
    usefully go in there.

3. The scripts also reported
./install: line 4: tec_uname: No such file or directory
./install: line 68: ComputeTecUname: command not found
./install: line 63: Pause: command not found
./install_dev: line 4: tec_uname: No such file or directory
./install_dev: line 71: ComputeTecUname: command not found
./install_dev: line 66: Pause: command not found
which did not cause them to fail, though.

Dirk

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: IUP and Ubuntu

Dirk Laurie
In reply to this post by Steve Litt
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 05:44:57PM +0200, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2011 04:51:27 Dirk Laurie wrote:
> > Being curious to see Steve Litt's presentation, I installed IUP.
> > Not too much joy so far.
> >
>
> A couple things I learned about IUP and Ubuntu
>
> 1) If your processor is 64 bit, only the 64 bit IUP will work. Crazy, but
> that's what I found.
My separate post on IUP may help to explain why.

> 5) Remember, unlike most tarballs, this tarball puts lots of files in the
> current directory, rather than putting one subdirectory in the current
> directory.
Fortunately I have the habit of doing 'tar -tzf' first.

> 6) Boy, I wish I could remember it now, but after installation it can give
> this certain error message (not the one you got Dirk), and you have to google
> the error message and install some fairly well known package that you would
> have thought was for some completely different purpose.
I did not have this problem.

Now I come to your "showhead".  It needed some persistence, too :-/

1. One has to unpack scr.tgz first.  Not hard to guess, fortunately.
2. showhead.lua requires a parameter, which must be one of the names
    in the scr subdirectory.  The message you get otherwise is
    informative enough so that you know the next time round:
    scr/nil.scr: No such file or directory

Dirk

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: IUP and Ubuntu

Thomas Buergel
In reply to this post by Dirk Laurie
> package.path = package.path .. ";/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/?.so"
> require "iuplua"
error loading module 'iuplua' from file '/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/iuplua.so':
    /usr/lib64/lua/5.1/iuplua.so:1: unexpected symbol near 'char(127)'

Are you intending to feed a binary (.so) to the Lua loader?

Should have probably been:

> package.cpath = package.cpath .. ";/usr/lib64/lua/5.1/?.so"

(note the "cpath" vs. "path")



12
Loading...