IUP 2.0.1 New release

Mark Stroetzel Glasberg
Hello,

IUP version 2.0.1 has just been released! It comes with a lot of
bug fixes and a beta version of IupLua for Lua 5.0.

You can find all the changes at:

   http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/?url=changes.html

IUP home page:

  http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup

IUP download:

  http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/download

Enjoy!
Mark

--
|\/|ark Stroetzel Glasberg
[hidden email]

System Analyst
Tecgraf/PUC-Rio
Tel:  55 21 2512-5984 ext. 116
Fax:  55 21 2259-2232

Re: IUP 2.0.1 New release

John Belmonte-2
Hello,

I tried to build this on Linux but gave up. It seems to depend on tecmake which itself doesn't seem very Linux friendly and has no English docs. Any help would be appreciated.

-John

--
http:// if   l .o  /

Re: IUP 2.0.1 New release

Antonio Scuri

  We updated the Tecmake pages today. The translation just got ready.

All the libraries provided in the Tecgraf Download Center were build using Tecmake, including Lua. This help us to keep the libraries compatible and simple to build.

We have 17 "platforms" to build for each library, IUP includes 20 separate libraries, this is a total of 340 libraries. Or a possibility of lots of makefiles...

So we decided not to use makefiles and use only Tecmake. Tecmake is quite simple to install and put to work. But it depends on the gnu make. For Linux this is not a problem. It is not powerful as automake, but more easier.

I also updated the IUP distribution files with some raw makefiles that can be used to build real Makefiles for a particular system. And I include Visual C++ 7 (.Net) project files that we use for debugging in Windows.

  Please let me know if you still need help.

Best,
scuri

Antonio Scuri wrote:
I also updated the IUP distribution files with some raw makefiles that can be used to build real Makefiles for a particular system. And I include Visual C++ 7 (.Net) project files that we use for debugging in Windows.

  Please let me know if you still need help.

There are many problems and I gave up again. I suggest that you try to build your tools on a modern Linux account. I can offer you one if necessary.

* scripts (make_all, make_uname, etc.) assume that PATH contains current directory (many people refuse to do this for security reasons)

    * GNU make is called "make" on Linux, not gmake

    * tecmake does not have executable bit set

    * tecmake TCG_HOME is undocumented

    * kernel 2.5 not supported

    * even after I correct the above, all IUP compiles fail

-John

--
http:// if   l .o  /

Re: IUP 2.0.1 New release

Antonio Scuri

* scripts (make_all, make_uname, etc.) assume that PATH contains current directory (many people refuse to do this for security reasons)

They must be in a folder that is in the PATH. I guess is not necessary that the PATH contains current directory.

   * GNU make is called "make" on Linux, not gmake

  This is documented.

   * tecmake does not have executable bit set
   * tecmake TCG_HOME is undocumented
    * kernel 2.5 not supported

These are changes that I assume it will be necessary anyway. But I´m not a UNIX expert, we have the bad habit to call the technical support...

  If you make interesting changes to these files, please share with us.

   * even after I correct the above, all IUP compiles fail

That is what I am most worried now. I´m sorry that it fails, but I cann't help you (or improve the building process) if you don't send me the details.

Please tell me where it fails. What´s you Linux distribution? What´s the Motif installed?

The newest Linux instalation we have is Red Hat 9, that runs unstable, so we will stay in RH8 for a while.

Thanks,
scuri

Re: IUP 2.0.1 New release

John Belmonte-2
Antonio Scuri wrote:
* scripts (make_all, make_uname, etc.) assume that PATH contains current directory (many people refuse to do this for security reasons)

They must be in a folder that is in the PATH. I guess is not necessary that the PATH contains current directory.

It is necessary that PATH contains the current directory. For example, make_all calls itself recursively in subdirectories with "make_all" instead of "./make_all".

   * GNU make is called "make" on Linux, not gmake

  This is documented.

But the tecmake script fails because of this.

   * even after I correct the above, all IUP compiles fail

That is what I am most worried now. I´m sorry that it fails, but I cann't help you (or improve the building process) if you don't send me the details.

Please tell me where it fails. What´s you Linux distribution? What´s the Motif installed?

The newest Linux instalation we have is Red Hat 9, that runs unstable, so we will stay in RH8 for a while.

I'm just curious to try IUP and don't have several hours to devote to debugging its build problems on a standard Linux system (Debian). If you create a fresh account on a freshly-installed Linux distribution and try to build your tools I think you will see the problems immediately. For example you'll find quickly that the Linux distributions do not contain a directory called "/home/t/tecgraf/lib/cd/" :-). I think you can do this yourself and it will be the most efficient way to improve your build. I'll attach a few error outputs anyway.

john@harehare:~/tmp/iup/srccontrols$ tecmake
Compilando iupcb.c...
gcc -c  -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -I../include   -DTEC_UNAME=      \
-DTEC_SYSNAME= -D= -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNDEBUG -o ../obj/iupcontrols//iupcb.o iupcb.c
<command line>:6:1: no macro name given in #define directive
iupcb.c:18:16: cd.h: No such file or directory
iupcb.c:19:19: cdiup.h: No such file or directory

john@harehare:~/tmp/iup/srcmatrix$ tecmake
if [ ! -d ../obj/iupmatrix ] ; then mkdir -p ../obj/iupmatrix ; fi
make: *** No rule to make target `/home/t/tecgraf/lib/cd/include/cd.h',\
    needed by `../obj/iupmatrix//imcolres.o'.  Stop.

john@harehare:~/tmp/iup/srclua5$ tecmake
Compilando alarm.c...
gcc -c  -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -I../include -I../src           \
    -DIUPLUA_USELOH -DTEC_UNAME= -DTEC_SYSNAME= -D= -DFUNCPROTO=15 \
    -DNDEBUG -o ../obj/iuplua5//alarm.o alarm.c
<command line>:7:1: no macro name given in #define directive
alarm.c:5:17: lua.h: No such file or directory
alarm.c:6:21: lauxlib.h: No such file or directory

--
http:// if   l .o  /

Re: IUP 2.0.1 New release

Antonio Scuri
At 15:06 4/8/2003, you wrote:
It is necessary that PATH contains the current directory. For example, make_all calls itself recursively in subdirectories with "make_all" instead of "./make_all".

  That´s correct. We will fix this.

I'm just curious to try IUP and don't have several hours to devote to debugging its build problems on a standard Linux system (Debian). If you create a fresh account on a freshly-installed Linux distribution and try to build your tools I think you will see the problems immediately. For example you'll find quickly that the Linux distributions do not contain a directory called "/home/t/tecgraf/lib/cd/" :-). I think you can do this yourself and it will be the most efficient way to improve your build. I'll attach a few error outputs anyway.

Unfortunely tecmake instalation demands you to edit some of the scritps to make all things work.

  Basically you have to edit:

     tecmake (in UNIX)
     tec_uname (in UNIX, to change TCG_HOME)
     remote (in UNIX if you are going to use remote compiling)
     tecmake.bat (in Windows)

The problems you sent occoured because extended controls depends on the CD library. And iuplua of course depends on the Lua library.

  Internally Tecmake depends on the variables: CDINC, CD, LUAINC and LUA.

These are set in tec_uname. They are not hardcoded in Tecmake. If you installed Lua in a different folder, then just point the environment variable to that folder. You must run tec_uname once before using Tecmake, because it sets the TEC_UNAME variable.

If you just want to take a look, ignore controls, matrix and tree. In iuplua.exe comment all the controls initialization and you will only depend on the core IUP library, IUPLUA and LUA.

scuri

Re: IUP 2.0.1 New release

John Belmonte-2
Antonio Scuri wrote:
These are set in tec_uname. They are not hardcoded in Tecmake. If you installed Lua in a different folder, then just point the environment variable to that folder. You must run tec_uname once before using Tecmake, because it sets the TEC_UNAME variable.

I see. I thought tec_uname was run by some other program, not that I had to run it manually.

However tec_uname is useless in my case, because an executable script cannot change the environment variables of its parent shell. So I would have to "source" the script... but I can't do that because I am running bash, not csh.

Tecmake doesn't seem very platform-independent. I think I'll wait until someone else goes through this pain first :-).

-John

--
http:// if   l .o  /

Re: IUP 2.0.1 New release

Antonio Scuri
At 17:31 4/8/2003, you wrote:
However tec_uname is useless in my case, because an executable script cannot change the environment variables of its parent shell. So I would have to "source" the script... but I can't do that because I am running bash, not csh.

  That´s my mistake. I should know about that. I will rewrite that script.

Thanks,
scuri