Google Summer of Code 2008: Final Call

Jim Whitehead II
I'm in the process of completing the application for GSOC, which is
due tomorrow.  I plan to submit it around noon GMT.  If you have any
specific concerns or questions, please send them before then.

http://lua-users.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeMentoringApplication

I need any of the mentors that have currently submitted project ideas,
along with any other individuals who would be interested in acting as
mentors to the students for Google Summer of Code to email me
privately with their google account username.  This is required as
part of the application process.  If our organization is chosen to
participate, you will be emailed individually by Google with an
invitation.

I will be completing the template application for students, as well as
some of the other administrative details over the course of tonight
and tomorrow morning.

Thanks for everyone's help working through this process.

- Jim

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008: Final Call

Jim Whitehead II
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Jim Whitehead II <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm in the process of completing the application for GSOC, which is
>  due tomorrow.  I plan to submit it around noon GMT.  If you have any
>  specific concerns or questions, please send them before then.
>
>  http://lua-users.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeMentoringApplication
>
>  I need any of the mentors that have currently submitted project ideas,
>  along with any other individuals who would be interested in acting as
>  mentors to the students for Google Summer of Code to email me
>  privately with their google account username.  This is required as
>  part of the application process.  If our organization is chosen to
>  participate, you will be emailed individually by Google with an
>  invitation.
>
>  I will be completing the template application for students, as well as
>  some of the other administrative details over the course of tonight
>  and tomorrow morning.
>
>  Thanks for everyone's help working through this process.

Apologies for not posting sooner, but the organization acceptance
emails have gone out and the participating list of organizations has
been posted on the Google Summer of Code website.  Lua was not one of
the 175 out of 500 organizations selected this year so there won't be
any formal participation in the program.  I'm waiting to get feedback
from the program coordinator so we can better understand why our
application wasn't chosen, so we have a better chance of being
accepted in the future.

As soon as I have that feedback, I will post a follow-up to the list.

- Jim

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008: Final Call

Eric Wing
Thanks for the update. That's really too bad the application was
rejected. Too bad there isn't a resubmission process. I will be
interested in hearing Google's reason for the rejection.

Thanks for all your hard work.
Eric

On 3/18/08, Jim Whitehead II <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Jim Whitehead II <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I'm in the process of completing the application for GSOC, which is
> > due tomorrow. I plan to submit it around noon GMT. If you have any
> > specific concerns or questions, please send them before then.
> >
> > http://lua-users.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeMentoringApplication
> >
> > I need any of the mentors that have currently submitted project ideas,
> > along with any other individuals who would be interested in acting as
> > mentors to the students for Google Summer of Code to email me
> > privately with their google account username. This is required as
> > part of the application process. If our organization is chosen to
> > participate, you will be emailed individually by Google with an
> > invitation.
> >
> > I will be completing the template application for students, as well as
> > some of the other administrative details over the course of tonight
> > and tomorrow morning.
> >
> > Thanks for everyone's help working through this process.
>
> Apologies for not posting sooner, but the organization acceptance
> emails have gone out and the participating list of organizations has
> been posted on the Google Summer of Code website. Lua was not one of
> the 175 out of 500 organizations selected this year so there won't be
> any formal participation in the program. I'm waiting to get feedback
> from the program coordinator so we can better understand why our
> application wasn't chosen, so we have a better chance of being
> accepted in the future.
>
> As soon as I have that feedback, I will post a follow-up to the list.
>
> - Jim

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008: Final Call

Bertrand Mansion-2

Le 18 mars 08 à 23:17, E. Wing a écrit :

Thanks for the update. That's really too bad the application was
rejected. Too bad there isn't a resubmission process. I will be
interested in hearing Google's reason for the rejection.

Maybe they didn't like the project of porting Lucene to Lua since it's competition for them... Maybe They should have asked their Android partner Qualcomm about what is Lua :)

--
Bertrand Mansion
Mamasam

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Jim Whitehead II <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Apologies for not posting sooner, but the organization acceptance
>  emails have gone out and the participating list of organizations has
>  been posted on the Google Summer of Code website.  Lua was not one of
>  the 175 out of 500 organizations selected this year so there won't be
>  any formal participation in the program.  I'm waiting to get feedback
>  from the program coordinator so we can better understand why our
>  application wasn't chosen, so we have a better chance of being
>  accepted in the future.

Unfortunately, I have still been unable to get the specifics about the
reasons our application was rejected.  The coordinator asked for a
link to our ideas webpage and gave us some feedback on that-- but to
be completely frank it seemed as if she either completely
misunderstood the format, or didn't read the page.

You have several ideas that have no additional information at all, no
mentor, no description, just a name.  It would have been great to have
those filled out. The ideas themselves seem somewhat underspecified -
it would be helpful to have links to further resources and reading,
and flesh out the ideas a bit more.

There's great advice on constructing a good ideas list here:
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors

It's wonderful that you have potential mentors listed - ++

Frankly, I have no idea what she's referring to, as we only have one
project that didn't have a mentor listed, and each project had a
reasonable extensive description (one or two were a bit short, but
they were all there).  In addition, some of the ideas were specified
to a very clear point, so I'm unsure.

Frankly, I think the format of the wiki page and the overall
unprofessional look of the ideas list was a factor, along with the
rather ad-hoc way we approached the entire process.  Hopefully we can
begin putting things together and make a more impressive application
with idea list next year.

Sorry all,

- Jim

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008: Final Call

Matthew M. Burke
Jim Whitehead II wrote:

I think the format of the wiki page and the overall unprofessional look of the ideas list was a factor, along with the rather ad-hoc way we approached the entire process.  Hopefully we can
begin putting things together and make a more impressive application with idea list next year.

I put a reminder on my calendar for early January next year to get the ball rolling on applying again. To some extent, it seems a little random. I also helped put together the application submitted by the Tcl/Tk community---which did get selected. I don't think Tcl ideas page (http://wiki.tcl.tk/20832) is significantly better than the Lua one (http://lua-users.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeIdeas).

Matt