Front page of lua.org

Reuben Thomas-5
Strictly speaking, Lua has won *a* FrontLine 2011 award, not *the*
FrontLine 2011 award.

Blowing your own trumpet is cool, but don't split the note!

http://rrt.sc3d.org

Re: Front page of lua.org

Patrick Donnelly
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Reuben Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Strictly speaking, Lua has won *a* FrontLine 2011 award, not *the*
> FrontLine 2011 award.
>
> Blowing your own trumpet is cool, but don't split the note!

Considering there's only one qualifying category for Lua and that
there is only one award given per year for that category, it seems to
me the article adjective "the" is correct.

In any case, who cares?

- Patrick Donnelly

Re: Front page of lua.org

Miles Bader-2
Patrick Donnelly <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Reuben Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Strictly speaking, Lua has won *a* FrontLine 2011 award, not *the*
>> FrontLine 2011 award.
>>
>> Blowing your own trumpet is cool, but don't split the note!
>
> Considering there's only one qualifying category for Lua and that
> there is only one award given per year for that category, it seems to
> me the article adjective "the" is correct.

Yup.

Even generally, it's correct to use "the" in such a case because it
refers to the award as a singular entity (i.e., it's not a generic
term, and there are not multiple parties giving awards with the same
name!), even if multiple instances of that reward are awarded. One
typically says, for instance, that a solder "received the purple
heart" even if many other soldiers did as well.

-Miles

.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.

Re: Front page of lua.org

KHMan
On 2/12/2012 11:15 AM, Miles Bader wrote:

> Patrick Donnelly writes:
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Reuben Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Strictly speaking, Lua has won *a* FrontLine 2011 award, not *the*
>>> FrontLine 2011 award.
>>>
>>> Blowing your own trumpet is cool, but don't split the note!
>>
>> Considering there's only one qualifying category for Lua and that
>> there is only one award given per year for that category, it seems to
>> me the article adjective "the" is correct.
>
> Yup.
>
> Even generally, it's correct to use "the" in such a case because it
> refers to the award as a singular entity (i.e., it's not a generic
> term, and there are not multiple parties giving awards with the same
> name!), even if multiple instances of that reward are awarded. One
> typically says, for instance, that a solder "received the purple
> heart" even if many other soldiers did as well.

I think it will be better if it's rewritten without the 'the',
removing the ambiguity. The second 'the' is incorrect, as is the
title of the mag. How about:

     Lua wins Game Developer Magazine's Front Line Awards 2011
     in the Programming Tool category.

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia