Factorio Music Video as demonstration of Lua's Speed

Factorio Music Video as demonstration of Lua's Speed

Andrew Starks-2
I've waxed poetic about Factorio in the past. It's an RTS game that is about building huge factories to launch a rocket, while you're fighting if indigenous creatures that hate your pollution.

Someone took the time to repurpose the factories in the game, taking advantage of the newly-added colored lights to make a video player:

Some background info is here:

The movie import script is here:

Lua (not LuaJIT)  is used extensively through the game. There's a discussion on why not LuaJIT here: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/3p1iqq/friday_facts_108_unexpected_features/

The video player is an impressive hack!

Andrew

Re: Factorio Music Video as demonstration of Lua's Speed

Soni L.

On 2017-05-20 12:21 AM, Andrew Starks wrote:

> I've waxed poetic about Factorio in the past. It's an RTS game that is
> about building huge factories to launch a rocket, while you're
> fighting if indigenous creatures that hate your pollution.
>
> Someone took the time to repurpose the factories in the game, taking
> advantage of the newly-added colored lights to make a video player:
>
> https://youtu.be/mgfwwqwxdxY
>
> Some background info is here:
>
> http://www.pcgamer.com/factorios-final-form-revealed-an-enormous-machine-that-plays-sandstorm-by-darude/
>
> The movie import script is here:
>
> https://github.com/DaveMcW/factorio-movie-maker
>
> His announcement: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=37490
>
> Lua (not LuaJIT)  is used extensively through the game. There's a
> discussion on why not LuaJIT here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/3p1iqq/friday_facts_108_unexpected_features/
>
> The video player is an impressive hack!
>
> Andrew

I mean this is also non-LuaJIT Lua:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRkKgaHzWWE

Even better - it's not just a video, it's (was) a livestream!

Re: Factorio Music Video as demonstration of Lua's Speed

Egor Skriptunoff-2
On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 6:21 AM, Andrew Starks wrote:

Some background info is here:

A quote:
due to limitations with Factorio (which is in Early Access) the game can only output at 1 fps. McWilliams used a mod to take screenshots every second and then pieced them all together while adding the original music back in to create the finished video you see above.

So, true speed of this Factorio-generated video is 1 frame per second.  Not very impressing.

Really? Considering what is actually happening through the game, I thought it was incredible.

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Andrew Starks wrote:
On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 03:18 Egor Skriptunoff wrote:
On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 6:21 AM, Andrew Starks wrote:

Some background info is here:

A quote:
due to limitations with Factorio (which is in Early Access) the game can only output at 1 fps. McWilliams used a mod to take screenshots every second and then pieced them all together while adding the original music back in to create the finished video you see above.

So, true speed of this Factorio-generated video is 1 frame per second.  Not very impressing.

Really? Considering what is actually happening through the game, I thought it was incredible.

The in-game video screen is (5*100)x(2*178) pixels, so we have throughput of 178000 pixels per second.
On average PC with 2GHz CPU it equals to 10000 CPU ticks per pixel - this is very poor benchmark result (if you want to consider Factorio as Lua benchmarking tool).

On the other hand, it was a brilliant idea to embed video player into Factorio, it is quite interesting from engineering point of view.