FFI extension

Szymon Gatner
Hey,

what would you say about community driven extension to luabind that
would utilize LuaJIT FFI? (http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html)

Apparently it is very fast way of C/Lua interop so how can we make our
favorite Lua binding library to use it?

I would gladly help with developing such extension but not really
qualified to manage it as my most advanced hacks are custom policies.
And rather simple ones.

Cheers,
Szymon Gatner

Re: FFI extension

Jason McKesson
On 3/4/2012 3:32 AM, Szymon Gatner wrote:

> Hey,
>
> what would you say about community driven extension to luabind that
> would utilize LuaJIT FFI? (http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html)
>
> Apparently it is very fast way of C/Lua interop so how can we make our
> favorite Lua binding library to use it?
>
> I would gladly help with developing such extension but not really
> qualified to manage it as my most advanced hacks are custom policies.
> And rather simple ones.
>
> Cheers,
> Szymon Gatner

You can't layer Luabind on top of FFI. Luabind does more than FFI does,
and Luabind requires things (like actually using C++) that FFI does not.
You can't attach real classes (things that aren't POD in C++03 or
standard layout in C++11) to FFI. You can't use function overloading.
Member functions are impossible. I can keep going but my point is clear.

If you want to use FFI, then you use FFI. Luabind solves a related but
*different* problem.

Re: FFI extension

Szymon Gatner
Ah I see, there is no C api for FFI, it is striclty Lua-side thing. My bad :(

W dniu 4 marca 2012 18:27 użytkownik Jason McKesson <[hidden email]> napisał:

> On 3/4/2012 3:32 AM, Szymon Gatner wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> what would you say about community driven extension to luabind that
>> would utilize LuaJIT FFI? (http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html)
>>
>> Apparently it is very fast way of C/Lua interop so how can we make our
>> favorite Lua binding library to use it?
>>
>> I would gladly help with developing such extension but not really
>> qualified to manage it as my most advanced hacks are custom policies.
>> And rather simple ones.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Szymon Gatner
>>
> You can't layer Luabind on top of FFI. Luabind does more than FFI does,
> and Luabind requires things (like actually using C++) that FFI does not.
> You can't attach real classes (things that aren't POD in C++03 or
> standard layout in C++11) to FFI. You can't use function overloading.
> Member functions are impossible. I can keep going but my point is clear.
>
> If you want to use FFI, then you use FFI. Luabind solves a related but
> *different* problem.

Szymon Gatner
The Lordz Games Studio
www.thelordzgamesstudio.com