Errata PIL4

Daniel Dương
On this page https://www.lua.org/pil/1.4.html

I think
        prompt> lua -i -l a.lua -e "x = 10"

should be
        prompt> lua -i -l a -e "x = 10"

--
Daniel Dương

Re: Errata PIL4

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> On this page https://www.lua.org/pil/1.4.html
>
> I think
> prompt> lua -i -l a.lua -e "x = 10"
>
> should be
> prompt> lua -i -l a -e "x = 10"

Your subject "PIL4" is quite confusing. The book on the site in PiL1
(the first edition of Programming in Lua), and it uses Lua 5.0. In
that version, -l loads a file, not a library, and as such it requires
the full name of the file.

Re: Errata PIL4

Daniel Dương
On Thu, Jul 02, 2020 at 03:45:20PM -0300, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
>Your subject "PIL4" is quite confusing. The book on the site in PiL1
>(the first edition of Programming in Lua), and it uses Lua 5.0. In
>that version, -l loads a file, not a library, and as such it requires
>the full name of the file.

Woops my bad, I didn't see that the online version was the 1st edition.

Daniel Dương

Re: Errata PIL4

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> Woops my bad, I didn't see that the online version was the 1st edition.

It's clearly stated at the top of every page for the book, isn't it?
How can we improve that note?

Re: Errata PIL4

Jonathan Goble
On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 3:06 PM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Woops my bad, I didn't see that the online version was the 1st edition.

It's clearly stated at the top of every page for the book, isn't it?
How can we improve that note?

For the record (and the lazy), the current note is:

This first edition was written for Lua 5.0. While still largely relevant for later versions, there are some differences.
The fourth edition targets Lua 5.3 and is available at Amazon and other bookstores.
By buying the book, you also help to support the Lua project.

I looked at it, and it took me a moment to spot the word "This" at the beginning, which is the sole word that actually indicates what applies to "this page". It blends in with the start of the next line, and my eyes glossed over it.

I might suggest the following tweak:

The online edition shown below is an older version of Programming in Lua, written for Lua 5.0. While this first edition remains largely relevant for later versions, there are some differences.
The latest version is the fourth edition, which targets Lua 5.3 and is available at Amazon and other bookstores.

On Thu, Jul 02, 2020 at 04:06:13PM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
>It's clearly stated at the top of every page for the book, isn't it?
>How can we improve that note?

Now that you’ve told me, I do see it everywhere. But as a reader, I tend
to jump directly to the book’s content, skipping the headers and
introductions.

Maybe specifying it in the menu: "online version (old edition)" would
be easier to scan.

--
Daniel Dương