Emacs-like editor scriptable in Lua!!

sergei karhof
Let me share this good news with you:

Zi, a text editor based on GNU Zile (which in turn is based on Emacs),
is currently under development by Gary Vaughan.
Zi will do away with Lisp and replace it with Lua, for all purposes.
By the way, Zi is coded in Lua, being based on GNU Zile.

Finally we will have an Emacs-like editor that is scriptable in Lua !

Re: Emacs-like editor scriptable in Lua!!

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Uno Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's really a good news, but where can I get more information about it?

At your friendly neighborhood Where Lua is Used web page, section
14.11 of today's edition.
<https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>.
:-)

Best regards,

Paul

Re: Emacs-like editor scriptable in Lua!!

Vladimir Protasov
Does it support utf-8?

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Protasov.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Vladimir Protasov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does it support utf-8?

I am not one of the developers, so I can't answer for sure. However, I
am myself interested in Unicode support. I requested them for RTL
support, and hopefully they will do it, though perhaps not in the
short term. Naturally, if RTL is implemented, UTF-8 will also be
supported (because Arabic and Hebrew need UTF-8).
So, to answer your question, I don't know if UTF-8 is already
supported, because the Lua-scriptable branch of Zile has not been
released yet.
You may contact the developer and subscribe to the Zile mailing list.
If you decide to join the project and contribute, I am sure they will
be happy.

Re: Emacs-like editor scriptable in Lua!!

Michal Kolodziejczyk-3
On 17.02.2012 09:55, Vladimir Protasov wrote:
> Does it support utf-8?

According to http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/zile.git/tree/FAQ section
2.5 - no

Regards,
miko

2012/2/17 Michal Kolodziejczyk <[hidden email]>:
> On 17.02.2012 09:55, Vladimir Protasov wrote:
>> Does it support utf-8?
>
> According to http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/zile.git/tree/FAQ section
> 2.5 - no
>
> Regards,
> miko

That refers to the main Zile project. The one scriptable in Lua is the
Zi branch, or just Zi, which has not been released yet. Probably in
the first release it will not support Unicode. But, as I pointed out
to Vladimir in another email, it will probably be supported, so do not
give up hopes. They will be happy if someone contributes!

Re: Emacs-like editor scriptable in Lua!!

Miles Bader-2
sergei karhof <[hidden email]> writes:
> That refers to the main Zile project. The one scriptable in Lua is the
> Zi branch, or just Zi, which has not been released yet. Probably in
> the first release it will not support Unicode. But, as I pointed out
> to Vladimir in another email, it will probably be supported, so do not
> give up hopes. They will be happy if someone contributes!

Does Zi have its own repo, or is it being done as a branch in the Zile repo?

Thanks,

-miles

--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."

Re: Emacs-like editor scriptable in Lua!!

Florian Weimer
* sergei karhof:

> Let me share this good news with you:
>
> Zi, a text editor based on GNU Zile (which in turn is based on Emacs),
> is currently under development by Gary Vaughan.
> Zi will do away with Lisp and replace it with Lua, for all purposes.
> By the way, Zi is coded in Lua, being based on GNU Zile.

Strange.  The development branch of Zile itself uses Lua, too.
Why is a separate project required?

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Florian Weimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * sergei karhof:
>
>> Let me share this good news with you:
>>
>> Zi, a text editor based on GNU Zile (which in turn is based on Emacs),
>> is currently under development by Gary Vaughan.
>> Zi will do away with Lisp and replace it with Lua, for all purposes.
>> By the way, Zi is coded in Lua, being based on GNU Zile.
>
> Strange.  The development branch of Zile itself uses Lua, too.
> Why is a separate project required?

As far as I understand, the separate branch is *programmable* in Lua,
while the main branch is not (despite being written in Lua).
But you should ask the developers for more details.