Editor on Palm for Plua2?

Kevin Horton
I've started playing around with Plua2, and I will be creating a
custom calculator with functions that I use in my job.  I've been
using the Memos application to edit the .lua files, but it isn't very
well suited to large files.  SrcEdit2 doesn't seem to work with
Plua2b5 (it won't open previously created files).  Are there other
applications that I could use to edit .lua files on the Palm?

Or, is some sort of Palm simulator that I could run on my Mac (G4
running OS X 10.4), so I could edit and test the files there?

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Something is new at Yahoo! Groups.  Check out the enhanced email design.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Editor on Palm for Plua2?

LarryT-3
Kevin Horton <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've started playing around with Plua2, and I will be creating a
> custom calculator with functions that I use in my job.  I've been
> using the Memos application to edit the .lua files, but it isn't very
> well suited to large files.  SrcEdit2 doesn't seem to work with
> Plua2b5 (it won't open previously created files).  Are there other
> applications that I could use to edit .lua files on the Palm?
>
> Or, is some sort of Palm simulator that I could run on my Mac (G4
> running OS X 10.4), so I could edit and test the files there?

I'll answer this because even though I haven't had time to play with
plua for almost a year, the last problem I solved was this one.  The
doc format worked best for .lua files of any significant size.  My
needs might have been different since I didn't test on my linux box,
but editing there was a key requirement, and memo records kept getting
corrupted when edited on the desktop.  ZDOCm Document Reader from
[hidden email], http://mizotec.hp.infoseek.co.jp, is actually a
simple doc editor.  That and a conversion program for text-to-doc and
doc-to-text let me do the heavy lifting in emacs; I can't recall now
which format converter I used, but it worked great.  If you try this
approach and have trouble finding a file converter, let me know and
I'll try harder to find the one I used.  Things might have changed
since then, too, of course.

-larry

Yahoo! Groups Links

On 2 Jul 2006, at 04:50, [hidden email] wrote:

> Kevin Horton <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I've started playing around with Plua2, and I will be creating a
>> custom calculator with functions that I use in my job.  I've been
>> using the Memos application to edit the .lua files, but it isn't very
>> well suited to large files.  SrcEdit2 doesn't seem to work with
>> Plua2b5 (it won't open previously created files).  Are there other
>> applications that I could use to edit .lua files on the Palm?
>>
>> Or, is some sort of Palm simulator that I could run on my Mac (G4
>> running OS X 10.4), so I could edit and test the files there?
>
> I'll answer this because even though I haven't had time to play with
> plua for almost a year, the last problem I solved was this one.  The
> doc format worked best for .lua files of any significant size.  My
> needs might have been different since I didn't test on my linux box,
> but editing there was a key requirement, and memo records kept getting
> corrupted when edited on the desktop.  ZDOCm Document Reader from
> [hidden email], http://mizotec.hp.infoseek.co.jp, is actually a
> simple doc editor.  That and a conversion program for text-to-doc and
> doc-to-text let me do the heavy lifting in emacs; I can't recall now
> which format converter I used, but it worked great.  If you try this
> approach and have trouble finding a file converter, let me know and
> I'll try harder to find the one I used.  Things might have changed
> since then, too, of course.

Thanks for the info.  ZDOCm seems like a workable editor.  I found a
free text to doc converter for the Mac at:
http://lokisw.com/index.php?lang=en&item=PalmDocConverter

But, the doc files are not showing up in Plua2, so I can't run them.
PalmDocConverter converted my std_atm.lua file into std_atm.pdb.
That file was found by ZDOCm on my Palm, but Plua2 doesn't list it in
any of the sections (Doc, Stream, ...).  The Plua2 docs say that the
file name must end in .lua.  I tried changing the extension from .pdb
to .lua, but then I can't hotsync it to the Palm, as I get an error
"    Failed to install std_atm.lua to the SecureDigital (SD) Card
     - No application on your handheld to open these files. If you
have recently installed such an application, please run that
application and then perform a HotSync operation."

I'd appreciate any clues on how to get Plua2 to recognize the doc file.

Thanks,

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM

On 3 Jul 2006, at 07:32, Kevin Horton wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2006, at 04:50, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Kevin Horton <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> I've started playing around with Plua2, and I will be creating a
>>> custom calculator with functions that I use in my job.  I've been
>>> using the Memos application to edit the .lua files, but it isn't
>>> very
>>> well suited to large files.  SrcEdit2 doesn't seem to work with
>>> Plua2b5 (it won't open previously created files).  Are there other
>>> applications that I could use to edit .lua files on the Palm?
>>>
>>> Or, is some sort of Palm simulator that I could run on my Mac (G4
>>> running OS X 10.4), so I could edit and test the files there?
>>
>> I'll answer this because even though I haven't had time to play with
>> plua for almost a year, the last problem I solved was this one.  The
>> doc format worked best for .lua files of any significant size.  My
>> needs might have been different since I didn't test on my linux box,
>> but editing there was a key requirement, and memo records kept
>> getting
>> corrupted when edited on the desktop.  ZDOCm Document Reader from
>> [hidden email], http://mizotec.hp.infoseek.co.jp, is actually a
>> simple doc editor.  That and a conversion program for text-to-doc and
>> doc-to-text let me do the heavy lifting in emacs; I can't recall now
>> which format converter I used, but it worked great.  If you try this
>> approach and have trouble finding a file converter, let me know and
>> I'll try harder to find the one I used.  Things might have changed
>> since then, too, of course.
>
> Thanks for the info.  ZDOCm seems like a workable editor.  I found a
> free text to doc converter for the Mac at:
> http://lokisw.com/index.php?lang=en&item=PalmDocConverter
>
> But, the doc files are not showing up in Plua2, so I can't run them.
> PalmDocConverter converted my std_atm.lua file into std_atm.pdb.
> That file was found by ZDOCm on my Palm, but Plua2 doesn't list it in
> any of the sections (Doc, Stream, ...).  The Plua2 docs say that the
> file name must end in .lua.  I tried changing the extension from .pdb
> to .lua, but then I can't hotsync it to the Palm, as I get an error
> "    Failed to install std_atm.lua to the SecureDigital (SD) Card
>      - No application on your handheld to open these files. If you
> have recently installed such an application, please run that
> application and then perform a HotSync operation."
>
> I'd appreciate any clues on how to get Plua2 to recognize the doc
> file.

I cracked the code - the file name must be edited inside the ZDOCm
program.  The file name can be edited via the Options -> Info menu.
The file name as seen here must end with ".lua".

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Something is new at Yahoo! Groups.  Check out the enhanced email design.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Editor on Palm for Plua2?

rjeffries
Have you tried CardTXT
it handles text or  PlamDoc formats,
and is a freebie.

--
Ron K. Jeffries
805-680-8086

Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups.  See the new email design.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: Editor on Palm for Plua2?

Kevin Horton
On 3 Jul 2006, at 17:35, Ron Jeffries wrote:

> Have you tried CardTXT
> it handles text or  PlamDoc formats,
> and is a freebie.

Thanks, it looks promising.  ZDOCm seems to have trouble inserting
text in very large files, but CardTXT has no issues there.  The first
time I tried to import a memo file into a new document, and save it,
I had trouble.  First attempt gave an error message.  Second attempt
saved it, but a long string of strange characters was added to the
end of the name.  But the file was OK once I edited the name (using
FileZ - indispensable).

My only complaint about CardTXT so far is that it seems that it only
works with files on the memory card, not ones that are in internal
memory.  But FileZ made quick work of moving my files to the card.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Editor on Palm for Plua2?

pox_ox2
--- In [hidden email], Kevin Horton <khorton01@...> wrote:

> SrcEdit2 doesn't seem to work with
> Plua2b5 (it won't open previously created files).  Are there other
> applications that I could use to edit .lua files on the Palm?

Plua2b5's bug (I believe) is that it won't launch SrcEdit, but it does
Run the DOC file.
So you can still do onboard coding by manually switching between each
app like:
SrcEdit -> Home -> Plua2 - Run - finish -> Home -> SrcEdit ...
and so on, although this is a bit clumsy.
To your second question, yes there are several DOC editors around such
as PIAF,
but I guess current Plua2bx versions are hardcoded to launch only SrcEdit,
thus even when Plua2b5 gets repaired you still need to do the
abovementioned
edit cycle for any non-SrdEdit editor.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Editor on Palm for Plua2?

migueletto
Hi,

> Plua2b5's bug (I believe) is that it won't launch SrcEdit, but it does
> Run the DOC file.

Yes. I will be fixed in the next release.

> To your second question, yes there are several DOC editors around such
> as PIAF,
> but I guess current Plua2bx versions are hardcoded to launch only
SrcEdit,
> thus even when Plua2b5 gets repaired you still need to do the
> abovementioned
> edit cycle for any non-SrdEdit editor.

SrcEdit is the only editor I found that matches two requirements:
- It is freeware.
- It has a well documented interface for a "goto line" call.

Regards,
Marcio.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/