Don't find how making byte code : (

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Don't find how making byte code : (

jcRuffi
 HI every body as some I'm a new lua user,
I'm trying to find a way to make my luaScript like ByteCode
(as done when loading the lua init files...) , I didn't find any 
answer to this question. I know that we can do it but actually i 
don't see how to do it...  


whish someone 'll answer :) 




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Don't find how making byte code : (

Brian Mitchell-2
If I understand the question right, you want to use the luac program. man
luac if on a unix-like system. I don't know where documentation on the
windows' version is located, if anywhere.



On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 [hidden email] wrote:

>  HI every body as some I'm a new lua user,
> I'm trying to find a way to make my luaScript like ByteCode
> (as done when loading the lua init files...) , I didn't find any 
> answer to this question. I know that we can do it but actually i 
> don't see how to do it...  
> 
> 
> whish someone 'll answer :) 
> 
> 
> 
> 


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Don't find how making byte code : (

Vincent Penquerc'h-3
In reply to this post by jcRuffi
>  HI every body as some I'm a new lua user,
> I'm trying to find a way to make my luaScript like ByteCode
> (as done when loading the lua init files...) , I didn't find any 
> answer to this question. I know that we can do it but actually i 
> don't see how to do it...  

I am not really sure I understand your problem, but if it is
"how to precompile a Lua script into a bytecode format", then:
use the luac program:
luac -o script.lo script.lua
This will precompile the script.lua file into a bytecode form,
to the file script.lo
Note that Lua always does this at load time if loading a text
format script.

Hope this helps

-- 
Vincent Penquerc'h


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Offtopic !!

Erik Hougaard
Watcom C/C++ (Fortran) is being released as open-source www.openwatcom.org 

This is a great compiler to use for your Lua needs :-)

/Erik


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Offtopic !!

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
>Watcom C/C++ (Fortran) is being released as open-source www.openwatcom.org 
>
>This is a great compiler to use for your Lua needs :-)

May be not: the last version of Watcom C that TeCGraf bought has a faulty cpp,
which breaks the 16-bit support that we added in 4.0a. I'm not sure whether
this version is the one to be released (the site above has no files available
for downloading). Perhaps it's a newer version... Anyway, if it's really
open source, then it'll be simple to fix what needs to be fixed to compile
Lua (ANSI cpp must do arithmetic in 32 bits).

We did manage to compile a 16-bit Lua 4.0a with Turbo C++, available at
	http://community.borland.com:80/article/images/21751/tcpp101.zip
(Never mind the C++; its C part is good ANSI C...)

I *think* I also managed to compile a 16-bit Lua 4.0a with Pacific C,
without much trouble.
--lhf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Offtopic !!

Erik Hougaard
----- Original Message -----
> May be not: the last version of Watcom C that TeCGraf bought has a faulty
cpp,

Was this version 11b (The latest commercial available version)?

/Erik


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Offtopic !!

Erik Hougaard
In reply to this post by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
----- Original Message ----- 
> Lua (ANSI cpp must do arithmetic in 32 bits).

Why ?

/Erik


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Offtopic !!

Markus Ewald
In reply to this post by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo schrieb:

> >Watcom C/C++ (Fortran) is being released as open-source www.openwatcom.org
> >
> >This is a great compiler to use for your Lua needs :-)
>
> May be not: the last version of Watcom C that TeCGraf bought has a faulty cpp,
> which breaks the 16-bit support that we added in 4.0a. I'm not sure whether
> this version is the one to be released (the site above has no files available
> for downloading). Perhaps it's a newer version... Anyway, if it's really
> open source, then it'll be simple to fix what needs to be fixed to compile
> Lua (ANSI cpp must do arithmetic in 32 bits).

It's one of the 11.x versions.
As written in the FAQ, WatCom will be available "in a few months"

I thought WatCom was the compiler with this little message I saw when launching
Duke3D, Descent, DooM, Dark Forces, Command & Conquer, .......saying "DOS/4GW
Professional Protected Runtime"
Now I see them saying WatCom only supports 16 bit Windows and DOS applications ?
Protected Mode is clearly 32 bit only and I've seen Screenshots of a Win95 WatCom
IDE, so what are we going to get there ?

>
> We did manage to compile a 16-bit Lua 4.0a with Turbo C++, available at
>         http://community.borland.com:80/article/images/21751/tcpp101.zip
> (Never mind the C++; its C part is good ANSI C...)
>
> I *think* I also managed to compile a 16-bit Lua 4.0a with Pacific C,
> without much trouble.
> --lhf

-Markus-



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Offtopic !!

Erik Hougaard
----- Original Message -----
> I thought WatCom was the compiler with this little message I saw when
launching
> Duke3D, Descent, DooM, Dark Forces, Command & Conquer, .......saying
"DOS/4GW
> Professional Protected Runtime"
> Now I see them saying WatCom only supports 16 bit Windows and DOS
applications ?
> Protected Mode is clearly 32 bit only and I've seen Screenshots of a Win95
WatCom
> IDE, so what are we going to get there ?

Watcom has the following targets:

Dos 16
Dos 32
Windows 16
Windows386 (Watcom extender for win16)
Win32
AutoCAD
Novell
QNX

Watcom can create protected mode dos programs (32bit) and with the 4GW
engine. .. So yes many of the games where created with Watcom - some of them
also with djgpp (where 4GW also worked!)

/Erik