Domain Specific Languages

davefowle-2
I have been evaluating Lua 4.0 for some time now. The concise and
extremely reqadable reference manual is absolutely superb and the
supporting material is also invaluable.

Now that I understand (a bit) about how Lua can so easily be embedded
and extended, I am thinking about designing a domain-specific-language
based on Lua , This DSL will be used for  controlling a data-transform
engine. The main "engine" will call (simple) functions defined in this
DSL which can set the engine's  configuration/parameters dynamically.

>From my reading in this group, it looks like the games designers in
this group are using Lua in a similar way?  I would be very interested
to find out more about how such Lua functions are designed and used.
What do such domain-specific functions read like? What design
principles should be followed, so that the language is as easy as
posssible to program?

I hope the description of my needs is not too confused.  I would be
most grateful to this group for any help or advise

David Fowle

Re: Domain Specific Languages

Denis Andreev
d> From my reading in this group, it looks like the games designers in
d> this group are using Lua in a similar way?

We use Lua in our projects:
1) architecture design draft and prototype
2) tools and stuff tasks
3) configs, AI

C++ : Lua ratio in our projects is 60% : 40%

--Denq