Docker Hub Official Image

Italo Maia
So, yesterday, while coding lua_table (https://github.com/italomaia/lua_table coff coff merchan), I noticed it would be really helpful to have an easy way to test my package against different versions of Lua. As I do not have a lua virtual environment tool of choice, docker was the best option option for the task.

The thing is that Lua doesn't have an official docker image, like other languages do. Reaching out to the dockerhub repo, I got this reply

Where I'm advised to reach out to the community (doing it now) to learn if there is interest in maintaining such a image, given the initial version is provided or if collaboration could be expected or if there is no opposition.

So?

--
"A arrogância é a arma dos fracos."

===========================
Me. Italo Moreira Campelo Maia
Co-fundador do Grupo de Usuários Python do Ceará
Secretário ForHacker (fb.com/ForHackerSpace)
Desenvolvedor Full-Stack, Escritor, Empresário, Visionário
Meu Livro, Site, Blog
===========================

Re: Docker Hub Official Image

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> it would be really helpful to have an easy way to test my package against
> different versions of Lua. As I do not have a lua virtual environment tool
> of choice, docker was the best option option for the task.

A script like the one below is simple enough.
Run it inside an empty directory.
If you call the script "mytest" and the test program in "mylib.lua", do
        ./mytest mylib.lua

You may want to run Lua in the last line of the loop with a suitable
environment, for instance, an empty one:
        env - lua-$v/install/bin/lua $*

Also, change posix to your platform if needed.

#!/bin/sh

for v in 5.1.5 5.2.4 5.3.5
do
        echo Lua $v
        wget -N http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-$v.tar.gz
        tar xf lua-$v.tar.gz
        make -C lua-$v posix test install INSTALL_TOP=../install
        lua-$v/install/bin/lua $*
done

Re: Docker Hub Official Image

Albert Krewinkel
Italo Maia writes:

> The thing is that Lua doesn't have an official docker image, like other
> languages do. Reaching out to the dockerhub repo, I got this reply
> https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/issues/3404
>
> Where I'm advised to reach out to the community (doing it now) to learn if
> there is interest in maintaining such a image, given the initial version is
> provided or if collaboration could be expected or if there is no
> opposition.
>
> So?

A basic Lua is simple enough and changes rarely, it is therefor well
supported by most Linux distros. This makes the need for a dedicated
docker image less pressing. E.g., this works fine:

    FROM alpine
    RUN apk add --no-cache lua5.3 luarocks
    CMD ["lua5.3"]

Putting something like this up as an official image would be overkill.
That being said, it *would* be nice to just write `FROM lua:5.3.5`
instead.

Cheers,
Albert

Re: Docker Hub Official Image

Italo Maia
Hi Alberto,

usually, with official images, you also get the opportunity of choosing the distro of your lua installation, which can be useful.