Quantcast

Disappointment for NetBSD users

sergei karhof
I regret having to share with you this piece of news: the
Lua-in-Kernel project on NetBSD is no longer maintained. I don't know
if it has been abandoned for good or may be resumed at a later date.
What is confirmed is that Marc, the maintainer, has abandoned the
project. As far as I know, nobody else has stepped in. What a pity.
For those who were not familiar with the idea, the Lua-in-Kernel
project (also called Lunatik) aimed at rendering the NetBSD kernel
scriptable with Lua, so that the kernel functioning could be easily
tweaked on-the-fly with a simple script.
Any volunteers willing to step in?

Re: Disappointment for NetBSD users

Rena
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 04:16, sergei karhof <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I regret having to share with you this piece of news: the
> Lua-in-Kernel project on NetBSD is no longer maintained. I don't know
> if it has been abandoned for good or may be resumed at a later date.
> What is confirmed is that Marc, the maintainer, has abandoned the
> project. As far as I know, nobody else has stepped in. What a pity.
> For those who were not familiar with the idea, the Lua-in-Kernel
> project (also called Lunatik) aimed at rendering the NetBSD kernel
> scriptable with Lua, so that the kernel functioning could be easily
> tweaked on-the-fly with a simple script.
> Any volunteers willing to step in?

I don't know enough about BSD or kernels to do such a thing, but I did
think it was a really interesting project. In theory you could have a
whole OS written in Lua, save for some C code to provide interfaces to
the hardware...

Sent from my toaster.

Re: Disappointment for NetBSD users

Kooda
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:16:08AM +0100, sergei karhof wrote:

> I regret having to share with you this piece of news: the
> Lua-in-Kernel project on NetBSD is no longer maintained. I don't know
> if it has been abandoned for good or may be resumed at a later date.
> What is confirmed is that Marc, the maintainer, has abandoned the
> project. As far as I know, nobody else has stepped in. What a pity.
> For those who were not familiar with the idea, the Lua-in-Kernel
> project (also called Lunatik) aimed at rendering the NetBSD kernel
> scriptable with Lua, so that the kernel functioning could be easily
> tweaked on-the-fly with a simple script.
> Any volunteers willing to step in?

That’s a shame… I was really interested in this project, as a NetBSD and Lua
lover…
If anybody take this project back, I’ll be glad to contribute, but I’m not
experienced enough to do it entierly on my own.

Re: Disappointment for NetBSD users

Waitman Gobble

On Mar 22, 2012 4:43 AM, "Kooda" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:16:08AM +0100, sergei karhof wrote:
> > I regret having to share with you this piece of news: the
> > Lua-in-Kernel project on NetBSD is no longer maintained. I don't know
> > if it has been abandoned for good or may be resumed at a later date.
> > What is confirmed is that Marc, the maintainer, has abandoned the
> > project. As far as I know, nobody else has stepped in. What a pity.
> > For those who were not familiar with the idea, the Lua-in-Kernel
> > project (also called Lunatik) aimed at rendering the NetBSD kernel
> > scriptable with Lua, so that the kernel functioning could be easily
> > tweaked on-the-fly with a simple script.
> > Any volunteers willing to step in?
> >

> That’s a shame… I was really interested in this project, as a NetBSD and Lua
> lover…
> If anybody take this project back, I’ll be glad to contribute, but I’m not
> experienced enough to do it entierly on my own.

Hi,

i am working on a "HyPhy" BSD project, which is FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT / CVS HEAD sources with updated GPLv3 sources merged in. definitely not a GSOC project lol.

i'll find some time this weekend to see about merging the Lunatik code into the kernel.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA

You mean into the FreeBSD kernel, of course, don't you?

On Mar 22, 2012 7:40 AM, "sergei karhof" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Waitman Gobble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > i'll find some time this weekend to see about merging the Lunatik code into
> > the kernel.
>
> You mean into the FreeBSD kernel, of course, don't you?

Hi,

yes, it's the FreeBSD kernel. so far i've been tinkering with obliterating userland :) but now getting to the point of fiddling with the kernel. The machine still boots and runs.

Waitman

Re: Disappointment for NetBSD users

Axel Kittenberger
Its sad, but honestly I didn't quite get the point. Nowadays (at least
on Linux) there are very few things you couldn't do in a userspace
process. This includes User space drivers. The only thing you can't do
is interrupt handling, and I don't believe that an interrupt handler
is one the things you would have Lua in it anyway.

> I don't know enough about BSD or kernels to do such a thing, but I did
> think it was a really interesting project. In theory you could have a
> whole OS written in Lua, save for some C code to provide interfaces to
> the hardware...

That would be a Mach kernel, where the other drivers being infact
processes would be coded in Lua.
PS: Please don't say three times Beattlejuice and have that "Lua OS"
guy popping back.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Axel Kittenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PS: Please don't say three times Beattlejuice and have that "Lua OS"
> guy popping back.

LOL!!

Re: Disappointment for NetBSD users

Alexander Nasonov
sergei karhof wrote:
> What is confirmed is that Marc, the maintainer, has abandoned the
> project.

He seems to disappear from NetBSD and lua-l lists. Do you know whether
he hosted the project somewhere with public access?

Alex

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Alexander Nasonov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> sergei karhof wrote:
>> What is confirmed is that Marc, the maintainer, has abandoned the
>> project.
>
> He seems to disappear from NetBSD and lua-l lists. Do you know whether
> he hosted the project somewhere with public access?

Don't know that. The best way is to contact him directly. You've got
his email, I assume (from the mailing list).

Re: Disappointment for NetBSD users

Lourival Vieira Neto
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 7:16 AM, sergei karhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (...)
> Any volunteers willing to step in?

I'm one.. I want to retake my efforts. Can you help in something?

Lourival Vieira Neto

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Waitman Gobble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (...)
> i'll find some time this weekend to see about merging the Lunatik code into
> the kernel.

If you need any help, please, let me know..

Lourival Vieira Neto

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Kooda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (...)
> That’s a shame… I was really interested in this project, as a NetBSD and Lua
> lover…
> If anybody take this project back, I’ll be glad to contribute, but I’m not
> experienced enough to do it entierly on my own.

All help is welcome =). Feel free to contact me directly.

Lourival Vieira Neto

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Lourival Vieira Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Waitman Gobble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (...)
> i'll find some time this weekend to see about merging the Lunatik code into
> the kernel.

If you need any help, please, let me know..

Lourival Vieira Neto

Thank you.
I presume the latest and greatest code is on http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/luakern/

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA

Re: Disappointment for NetBSD users

Marc Balmer
Am 24.03.2012 04:45, schrieb Alexander Nasonov:
> sergei karhof wrote:
>> What is confirmed is that Marc, the maintainer, has abandoned the
>> project.
>
> He seems to disappear from NetBSD and lua-l lists. Do you know whether
> he hosted the project somewhere with public access?

FWIW, I am still on lua-l ;)  And any rumors of my death are greatly
exaggerated...

On Mar 25, 2012 1:34 AM, "Marc Balmer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 24.03.2012 04:45, schrieb Alexander Nasonov:
>
>> sergei karhof wrote:
>>>
>>> What is confirmed is that Marc, the maintainer, has abandoned the
>>> project.
>>

>> He seems to disappear from NetBSD and lua-l lists. Do you know whether
>> he hosted the project somewhere with public access?
>

> FWIW, I am still on lua-l ;)  And any rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated...

update, i merged into 10.0-current src on a "stock" 386 machine, (not tinkered with) and have an initial list of things to track down. might not get back to it till wednesday.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Waitman Gobble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you.

you're welcome..

> I presume the latest and greatest code is on
> http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/luakern/

yes.

Lourival Vieira Neto

On Mar 27, 2012 9:32 AM, "Lourival Vieira Neto" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Waitman Gobble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thank you.
>
> you're welcome..
>
> > I presume the latest and greatest code is on
> > http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/luakern/
>
> yes.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Lourival Vieira Neto

awesome, that's the place i got the code :)

Waitman

Am 27.03.2012 18:30, schrieb Lourival Vieira Neto:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Waitman Gobble<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Thank you.
>
> you're welcome..
>
>> I presume the latest and greatest code is on
>> http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/luakern/
>
> yes.

The latest and greatest code has not been released or published
anywhere, fwiw.

see http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/programs.html ;-)

--
Lourival Vieira Neto