Dirk Laurie Passing

Lorenzo Donati-3
I just stumbled on this article:

https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628

I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk Laurie.

I didn't know him well, but from his posts on lua-l I think he was a NZ
retired maths professor, so that article is probably about him.

I had some arguments with him on lua-l a couple of times, but he was an
influential member nonetheless. Moreover many of his posts were food for
thought.

Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him a
friend.

-- Lorenzo

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Dibyendu Majumdar
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 20:04, Lorenzo Donati <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just stumbled on this article:
>
> https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628
>
> I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk Laurie.
>
> I didn't know him well, but from his posts on lua-l I think he was a NZ
> retired maths professor, so that article is probably about him.
>
> I had some arguments with him on lua-l a couple of times, but he was an
> influential member nonetheless. Moreover many of his posts were food for
> thought.
>
> Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him a
> friend.

Sad to hear that; Dirk will be missed.

Regards

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Very sad news indeed. He'll be missed.

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Jonathan Goble
On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 3:04 PM Lorenzo Donati <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just stumbled on this article:

https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628

I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk Laurie.

Indeed, the photo of him at the top of the article matches his profile picture in Gmail. His last post to lua-l was around July 10, one month before he passed.

I enjoyed reading his contributions to the list and will miss him.

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Soni "They/Them" L.

On 2020-01-15 5:04 p.m., Lorenzo Donati wrote:

> I just stumbled on this article:
>
> https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628
>
> I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk
> Laurie.
>
> I didn't know him well, but from his posts on lua-l I think he was a
> NZ retired maths professor, so that article is probably about him.
>
> I had some arguments with him on lua-l a couple of times, but he was
> an influential member nonetheless. Moreover many of his posts were
> food for thought.
>
> Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him a
> friend.
>
> -- Lorenzo

oof. He will be missed.

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Bas Groothedde

--
-------------------------

May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family and of course anyone
else who knew him.

~ Bas

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Pierre Chapuis
I just realized I had no idea how he looked, how old he was
or where he lived until today despite having exchanged emails
with him from time to time for almost 10 years. It makes me
kind of sad I never got the opportunity to meet him in the flesh.

Among other things his page on Lua 5.2 bytecode had been very
useful to me, to the point that I mirrored it to my personal server
at the time. Apparently it was a good thing, because the original
appears to be gone and my copy [1] is now the N.2 result when
googling "dirk laurie lua".

Condolences to everyone who knew him.

[1] http://files.catwell.info/misc/mirror/lua-5.2-bytecode-vm-dirk-laurie/lua52vm.html

--
Pierre Chapuis

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, at 21:04, Lorenzo Donati wrote:

> I just stumbled on this article:
>
> https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628
>
> I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk Laurie.
>
> I didn't know him well, but from his posts on lua-l I think he was a NZ
> retired maths professor, so that article is probably about him.
>
> I had some arguments with him on lua-l a couple of times, but he was an
> influential member nonetheless. Moreover many of his posts were food for
> thought.
>
> Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him a
> friend.
>
> -- Lorenzo

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:33 AM Pierre Chapuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Among other things his page on Lua 5.2 bytecode had been very
> useful to me, to the point that I mirrored it to my personal server
> at the time. Apparently it was a good thing, because the original
> appears to be gone and my copy [1] is now the N.2 result when
> googling "dirk laurie lua".
>
> Condolences to everyone who knew him.
>
> [1] http://files.catwell.info/misc/mirror/lua-5.2-bytecode-vm-dirk-laurie/lua52vm.html

The original file seems to be at
https://github.com/dlaurie/lua52vm-tools/blob/master/doc/lua52vm.html
along with his other Lua stuff.

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Enrico Colombini
On 15-Jan-20 23:08, Jonathan Goble wrote:
> I enjoyed reading his contributions to the list and will miss him.

Yes, his postings were always food for thought. Sad news indeed.

   Enrico

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Phil Leblanc
On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 8:04 PM Lorenzo Donati
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him a
> friend.

He was obviously very bright and had a strong sense of irony, and a
unique, incisive style.

Sad news indeed.

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Viacheslav Usov
It would be fair to say that Dirk and I had our share of disagreement, perhaps even militant at times.

His writing could be insightful, amusing, mischievous, grumpy, funny and then some more. He was complex but very recognizable.

Without doubt, we all lost something with his passing away.

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

dyngeccetor8
Sad news.

I already was missing his posts for a couple of months. I really respect him for
wit and intellect.

-- Martin

Re: [Lua] Dirk Laurie Passing

Αγαθοκλής
I wrote an email to him just some days ago, knowing and feeling, that he probably
wasn't alive to answer. I noticed somewhere in the spring his absence, though he
came back at summer, and with his known intelligent participated in a couple of
threads related with his passions (algorithms and mathematics).

Unfortunatelly for all of us, but mainly for his family, he is not alive to see
those expressions for him. He will be missed.

 Αγαθοκλής

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Steve Litt
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 21:04:06 +0100
Lorenzo Donati <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just stumbled on this article:
>
> https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628
>
> I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk
> Laurie.
>
> I didn't know him well, but from his posts on lua-l I think he was a
> NZ retired maths professor, so that article is probably about him.
>
> I had some arguments with him on lua-l a couple of times, but he was
> an influential member nonetheless. Moreover many of his posts were
> food for thought.

Dirk helped me out, via this list, when I was starting with Lua. He had
a very common sense attitude toward programming, was always ready to
listen, and help out those of us striving to be better at Lua or
programming in general. This is very bad news.

> Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him
> a friend.

Yes!

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Andrew Starks-2
Sad news. I really appreciate Dirk and his passion. He will be sincerely missed.

- Andrew Starks

> On Jan 17, 2020, at 19:33, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 21:04:06 +0100
> Lorenzo Donati <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I just stumbled on this article:
>>
>> https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628
>>
>> I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk
>> Laurie.
>>
>> I didn't know him well, but from his posts on lua-l I think he was a
>> NZ retired maths professor, so that article is probably about him.
>>
>> I had some arguments with him on lua-l a couple of times, but he was
>> an influential member nonetheless. Moreover many of his posts were
>> food for thought.
>
> Dirk helped me out, via this list, when I was starting with Lua. He had
> a very common sense attitude toward programming, was always ready to
> listen, and help out those of us striving to be better at Lua or
> programming in general. This is very bad news.
>

>> Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him
>> a friend.
>
> Yes!
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> January 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust

Re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Thijs Schreijer
That is sad news indeed. Sharp mind, and always helpful, definitely got some good insights from him.

My sincere condolences to his family and others he left behind.

Thijs

> On 15 Jan 2020, at 21:04, Lorenzo Donati <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just stumbled on this article:
>
> https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628
>
> I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk Laurie.
>
> I didn't know him well, but from his posts on lua-l I think he was a NZ retired maths professor, so that article is probably about him.
>
> I had some arguments with him on lua-l a couple of times, but he was an influential member nonetheless. Moreover many of his posts were food for thought.
>
> Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him a friend.
>
> -- Lorenzo

re: Dirk Laurie Passing

Foster Schucker

He was pretty amazing, I think I learned more about Lua tips and tricks
from his postings.   I'm sorry that we won't see any more of his great
ideas or how to do things simply in Lua.

I wonder how long his repository of Lua code will remain on-line.

Foster