Did Lua ever have built-ins recognized by the VM?

Did Lua ever have built-ins recognized by the VM?

Dibyendu Majumdar
I was wondering if Lua ever had built-in functions that were
recognized by the VM. This seems hard to do given that functions are
values in Lua, and can be saved in local variables.

Re: Did Lua ever have built-ins recognized by the VM?

Soni "They/Them" L.

Does _ENV count?

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 at 13:21, Soni "They/Them" L. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2019-03-31 8:37 a.m., Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> > I was wondering if Lua ever had built-in functions that were
> > recognized by the VM. This seems hard to do given that functions are
> > values in Lua, and can be saved in local variables.
> >

> Does _ENV count?

The VM doesn't recognize _ENV as such it is handled by the parser.
Also it is not a function.

Re: Did Lua ever have built-ins recognized by the VM?

> I was wondering if Lua ever had built-in functions that were
> recognized by the VM.

No. Get the lua-all package and check the files *opcode*.h. You won't
see built-in functions instructions in any version, even Lua 1.0.

Re: Did Lua ever have built-ins recognized by the VM?

Dibyendu Majumdar
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 at 13:34, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I was wondering if Lua ever had built-in functions that were
> > recognized by the VM.
>
> No. Get the lua-all package and check the files *opcode*.h. You won't
> see built-in functions instructions in any version, even Lua 1.0.

Okay thank you.