(Devil's advocate:) 5.3 vs.5.2 vs. 5.1 vs. 5.0 releases

(Devil's advocate:) 5.3 vs.5.2 vs. 5.1 vs. 5.0 releases

sur-behoffski
Subject: Re: Where can I download the Lua 5.1's manual?
From: Daurnimator <[hidden email]>
Date: 07/03/16 17:32

On 3 Jul 2016 14:12, "sur-behoffski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > > [...]

 > Actually your interpretation is correct.
 > There *will not* be a 5.1.6; 5.1.5 is the last release of the 5.1 branch.
 > Whereas 5.3 will have future releases.

Current release for 5.3: 5.3.3, released on 06 Jun 2016.

Last release for 5.2:    5.2.4, released on 07 Mar 2015.

Last release for 5.1:    5.1.5, released on 17 Feb 2012.

There was overlap between the initial release of 5.1 (21 Feb 2006) and the
"last" release of 5.0 (5.0.3, 26 Jun 2006).  Similarly for 5.2 versus 5.1
(16 Dec 2011 versus 17 Feb 2012).

Is there an official policy about support for old versions, perhaps
including ongoing bugfix support, and/or backporting bugfixes as
appropriate?

For versions that are guaranteed to have no further releases, I would
appreciate the versions page label the release as "final".

cheers,

sur-behoffski [etc...]

Re: (Devil's advocate:) 5.3 vs.5.2 vs. 5.1 vs. 5.0 releases

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> There was overlap between the initial release of 5.1 (21 Feb 2006) and the
> "last" release of 5.0 (5.0.3, 26 Jun 2006).  Similarly for 5.2 versus 5.1
> (16 Dec 2011 versus 17 Feb 2012).

Also, for 5.3 versus 5.2 (12 Jan 2015 versus 07 Mar 2015).
This is typical: when we release a new *version*, we try to do one final
release of the previous version with all bugs fixed, as far as it is possible.

> Is there an official policy about support for old versions, perhaps
> including ongoing bugfix support, and/or backporting bugfixes as
> appropriate?

There is no backporting of bug fixes and no further additions to the bug
list for older versions. Support for all versions is available here in lua-l.

> For versions that are guaranteed to have no further releases, I would
> appreciate the versions page label the release as "final".

That's an idea. Thanks.

Not being a native speaker, I wonder what the difference between "final"
and "last" is. They seem pretty equivalent, but perhaps "final" is more clear:
        http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/68137/are-final-decision-and-last-decision-interchangeable

Re: (Devil's advocate:) 5.3 vs.5.2 vs. 5.1 vs. 5.0 releases

Chris Emerson
On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 08:33:19AM -0300, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> Not being a native speaker, I wonder what the difference between "final"
> and "last" is.  They seem pretty equivalent, but perhaps "final" is more
> clear:
> http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/68137/are-final-decision-and-last-decision-interchangeable

There's a subtle difference.  To me, at least, "final" means there won't be
any more, but "last" could also be interpreted as "most recent".  For
example, when you say "last Monday" you're not implying that it was the
final Monday.

Regards,

Chris

Re: (Devil's advocate:) 5.3 vs.5.2 vs. 5.1 vs. 5.0 releases

Patrick Donnelly
On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For versions that are guaranteed to have no further releases, I would
>> appreciate the versions page label the release as "final".
>
> That's an idea. Thanks.

A "final" release to me means that it is "finalized". As in, it's a
frozen release after all tests/release candidates.

If we want a word for a version which no longer will be supported, I
suggest "unsupported" as that is fairly common in software and has
clear intent. [Although the word implies that other versions have some
kind of support, which is not really true.]

Patrick Donnelly

Re: (Devil's advocate:) 5.3 vs.5.2 vs. 5.1 vs. 5.0 releases

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> A "final" release to me means that it is "finalized". As in, it's a
> frozen release after all tests/release candidates.

That's exactly how I've been using "final" and why I've chosen to use
"last" in the versions page...

Re: (Devil's advocate:) 5.3 vs.5.2 vs. 5.1 vs. 5.0 releases

Egor Skriptunoff-2
On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A "final" release to me means that it is "finalized". As in, it's a
> frozen release after all tests/release candidates.

That's exactly how I've been using "final" and why I've chosen to use
"last" in the versions page...

Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker.
The words "last" and "final" have multiple meanings, but none of the meanings are close to "we will not fix bugs there".
Why not "abandoned" or "uncared-for"?

Re: (Devil's advocate:) 5.3 vs.5.2 vs. 5.1 vs. 5.0 releases

Coda Highland
On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Egor Skriptunoff
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > A "final" release to me means that it is "finalized". As in, it's a
>> > frozen release after all tests/release candidates.
>>
>> That's exactly how I've been using "final" and why I've chosen to use
>> "last" in the versions page...
>>
> Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker.
> The words "last" and "final" have multiple meanings, but none of the
> meanings are close to "we will not fix bugs there".
> Why not "abandoned" or "uncared-for"?

"Abandoned" carries a different meaning in the English-speaking software world.

"Final" does actually carry the meaning of "we will not fix bugs
there" though, because it carries the meaning of "there will be no
further releases."

/s/ Adam