Development environment

Joao Eduardo Hornburg
Hi,

I've been working with Java EE for a long time and now I'm starting to work with Lua professionally. I'm trying to set up a development environment.

I've tried LuaEclipse and LuaEdit. LuaEclipse lacks some features, that IMHO are essential for serious professional development. For example: code completion doesn't work for tables that I have created. LuaEdit has more features but only runs on windows (I'm using Linux) and it is unstable on wine.

Is there any other option? Which tools are you using?

João E. Hornburg

Re: Development environment

steve donovan
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Joao Eduardo Hornburg
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any other option? Which tools are you using?

Just a heavily customized version of SciTE, here.

The trouble is that Eclipse and Java are such a brilliant combination,
and ultimately it's due to how relatively easy it's to find sufficient
static type information from parsing Java.  Dynamic languages make it
harder, in fact the general problem is probably insolvable. Common
cases, like code completing 'string.f', should be relatively easy, but
once you have your own objects floating around, then things are messy.

steve d.

Re: Development environment

Asko Kauppi

Though this might sound like heresy to you, I've never really required
an IDE for Lua development. I'm using SEE (Subethaedit) editor on OSX,
which has good syntax highlighting support for Lua.

I don't know if good code completion is really even possible with an
all-dynamic language s.a. Lua. Anything can have anything.

I'm eager to see the responses, though. If there were to be a good Lua
debugger, it should actually be a joined C++ / Lua debugger, in my
opinion.

-asko

Joao Eduardo Hornburg kirjoitti 26.3.2009 kello 15:15:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working with Java EE for a long time and now I'm starting
> to work with Lua professionally. I'm trying to set up a development
> environment.
>
> I've tried LuaEclipse and LuaEdit. LuaEclipse lacks some features,
> that IMHO are essential for serious professional development. For
> example: code completion doesn't work for tables that I have
> created. LuaEdit has more features but only runs on windows (I'm
> using Linux) and it is unstable on wine.
>
> Is there any other option? Which tools are you using?
>

> --
> João E. Hornburg

Re: Development environment

Evan DeMond
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any other option? Which tools are you using?

Just a heavily customized version of SciTE, here.

Indeed, I've always made do with just a text editor and the REPL. Notepad++ is nice for its "function list" plugin, with Lua support, which displays all the functions defined in a file. That's about as much as I've found I need to manage moderately-sized Lua apps (1000-ish lines of code.)

SciTE can probably do the same, being pretty customizable, but I don't know how myself

Evan

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Asko Kauppi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm eager to see the responses, though. If there were to be a good Lua
> debugger, it should actually be a joined C++ / Lua debugger, in my opinion.

I got this working last year, after responding to a challenge on this list ;)

http://lua-users.org/wiki/SciteDebug

It's a little rusty, needs a bit of care.  Alas, SciTE does not work
on OS X! I believe GTK is now natively supported, so this should now
be possible with a bit of hacking, but my dear wife does not let me do
any hacking with her iMac ;)

I did get Lua-to-C debugging working with Emacs:

Again, I'll revisit this if there's interest.

steve d.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Evan DeMond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Indeed, I've always made do with just a text editor and the REPL. Notepad++
> is nice for its "function list" plugin, with Lua support, which displays all
> the functions defined in a file

Indeed, I've always envied having such a list (Programmer's Notepad
also), and it will go into the next version of SciTE for LfW

steve d.

Re: Development environment

Enrico Colombini
Evan DeMond wrote:
> Notepad++ is nice for its "function list" plugin, with Lua support,
 > which displays all the functions defined in a file. That's about as
 > much as I've found I need to manage moderately-sized Lua apps
 > (1000-ish lines of code.)

I too use Notepad++ as editor but I wasn't aware of that.
Not that I miss it: though some of my applications are a few thousand
lines, the Reference Manual is my info source and 'print' is my debugger :-)

   Enrico

Re: Development environment

Mike Crowe
OK, this is out there a bit, but I use Leo exclusively:
http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html

It's very easy to extend, and I can customize it with scripts/buttons to
compile/test my scripts.

Mike

Enrico Colombini wrote:

> Evan DeMond wrote:
>> Notepad++ is nice for its "function list" plugin, with Lua support,
> > which displays all the functions defined in a file. That's about as
> > much as I've found I need to manage moderately-sized Lua apps
> > (1000-ish lines of code.)
>
> I too use Notepad++ as editor but I wasn't aware of that.
> Not that I miss it: though some of my applications are a few thousand
> lines, the Reference Manual is my info source and 'print' is my
> debugger :-)
>
>   Enrico

Re: Development environment

Peter Harris-3
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:51 AM, steve donovan wrote:

> Alas, SciTE does not work on OS X!

I have to remember to run X11, but the macports install of scite seems
to work on my Mac. I recall the fink version working back before I
switched, too.

Peter Harris

Re: Development environment

Jorge Visca
Using gedit here, the default GNOME text editor. With the syntax
highlighting, the "class browser" (a function list actually), an
embedded terminal (sometimes) and one of these "search all files"
plugins.

Played in Eclipse for a while, but it felt weird to use all those 200Mb
of IDE for no visible advantage. Still using Eclipse for the C and
Python chunks, tough.

Jorge

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 15:52 +0200, steve donovan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Evan DeMond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Indeed, I've always made do with just a text editor and the REPL. Notepad++
> > is nice for its "function list" plugin, with Lua support, which displays all
> > the functions defined in a file
>
> Indeed, I've always envied having such a list (Programmer's Notepad
> also), and it will go into the next version of SciTE for LfW
>
> steve d.

Re: Development environment

Bertrand Mansion
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Joao Eduardo Hornburg
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any other option? Which tools are you using?

I use TextMate with my own Lua bundle. I never needed an IDE.
But I recently found textadept and it looks like Lua is well
integrated. I haven't tested it in deep though.
http://caladbolg.net/textadept

Bertrand Mansion
Mamasam

Re: Development environment

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Joao Eduardo Hornburg > Is there any
other option? Which tools are you using?

for me it's Kate, the KDE text editor.  fast, comfortable, syntax
highlights, unix tools, scriptable, etc.

my only worry is that in KDE4 it puts too much space between lines,
making it look less than code and more like text.  i hate it!  in
fact, it's the biggest reason why i'm staying with KDE 3.5

Javier

Re: Development environment

David Hamill
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who uses a text editor
for coding and print statements for debugging!

So far this "IDE" has worked fine for me in Fortran, Pascal,
C, Java, Perl, and Ruby (plus HTML, CSS, SPICE, LaTeX,
assemblers, etc etc). Although I'm just taking my first
steps with Lua, I'm sure my favoured development environment
will work fine with this language too!

I'm not fussy about text editors. Currently I use Win32Pad
on Windows and gedit on Linux, but vi is fine too. Syntax
highlighting doesn't really excite me.

David

Re: Development environment

Joshua Beeler
I haven't seen anybody mention this:

Decoda (http://www.unknownworlds.com/decoda) is a Lua IDE and debugger.

It's Windows-only and doesn't support remote debugging, but otherwise quite good.

João E. Hornburg

Re: Development environment

David Given

Re: Development environment

Kenneth Forsbäck
Same here, never needed more than a standard text editor and print
routines ^^ Notepad2 on windows and vi/gedit on Linux.

Kenneth

David Hamill wrote:

> I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who uses a text editor for coding
> and print statements for debugging!
>
> So far this "IDE" has worked fine for me in Fortran, Pascal, C, Java,
> Perl, and Ruby (plus HTML, CSS, SPICE, LaTeX, assemblers, etc etc).
> Although I'm just taking my first steps with Lua, I'm sure my favoured
> development environment will work fine with this language too!
>
> I'm not fussy about text editors. Currently I use Win32Pad on Windows
> and gedit on Linux, but vi is fine too. Syntax highlighting doesn't
> really excite me.
>
> David

Re: Development environment

RJP Computing
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Kenneth Forsbäck
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Same here, never needed more than a standard text editor and print routines
> ^^ Notepad2 on windows and vi/gedit on Linux.

Where did you get syntax highlighting for Notepad2?
Ryan

Re: Development environment

KHMan
RJP Computing wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Kenneth Forsbäck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Same here, never needed more than a standard text editor and print routines
>> ^^ Notepad2 on windows and vi/gedit on Linux.
>
> Where did you get syntax highlighting for Notepad2?

There are links on the official Notepad2 for syntax highlighting.

Anyway, Notepad2 is yet another Scintilla-based editor, of which
Notepad++ is probably the most feature-abundant one.

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Development environment

Martin C. Martin-2
Does anyone have experience (on Windows) with LuaEclipse, LuaEdit,
Decoda and any other Lua IDEs out there?  Any care to comment on their
relative strengths and weaknesses?

Best,
Martin

Joao Eduardo Hornburg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working with Java EE for a long time and now I'm starting to
> work with Lua professionally. I'm trying to set up a development
> environment.
>
> I've tried LuaEclipse and LuaEdit. LuaEclipse lacks some features, that
> IMHO are essential for serious professional development. For example:
> code completion doesn't work for tables that I have created. LuaEdit has
> more features but only runs on windows (I'm using Linux) and it is
> unstable on wine.
>
> Is there any other option? Which tools are you using?
>

> --
> João E. Hornburg

12