Development Questions for Marcio

David Brady-3
Hi Marcio,

Some questions for you, posted to the list hoping it helps others....

1. How do you develop apps like Aquario? You mentioned that pluac 2.0b5
changed its command-line args, which means that Plural 2.0.0 can't
create prc files. This effectively stops me doing development from my PC
because I'm ignorant of other ways to make it go. I'm willing to do
research and post the results for others but I figured I'd ask here in
the hopes of making sure I'm going in the right direction. :-)

1.1 Are there other ways to go about this?  I'm guessing it could be
done if I learn PilRC and the pluac command-line interface?  Is it
possible to run them on the emulator from there?

1.2 Is there a plan to fix Plural 2.0?

1.3 I'm assuming you have a different set of tools for developing these
apps that works for you, otherwise your own tools would be broken. :-)
How do *you* develop Plua apps on your PC? (I'll open this question to
the entire list: is anyone else here developing on their PC that would
share how they do it?)

2. I would very much like to be able to create and edit bitmap resources
directly onboard the Palm.

2.1 Is it possible to do this from Plua?

2.2 Are bitmap files meaningful on a Palm if they are not stored as a
resource?

2.3 Is it possible to compile bitmaps as resources on the palm, if not
directly from Plua then perhaps with other tools?

3. Is it possible to create a Sprite without loading a bitmap resource?
Either by loading a bitmap file (but not a resource--see question 2.2)
or creating it from a buffer? I do all of my development on-board my
Treo. Ultimately my goal is to create image resources onboard, save them
to a database or stream, and then write a plua script that loads it into
a sprite for animation use.

3.1 Can Sprites be created from any other graphic resource, such as a
buffer?

3.2 Can Sprites be created from bitmap resources other than ones in
their own library?  (For example, is it possible to open Aquario from
another app and get the fish sprites out of it?)

3.3 You mention that no documentation for Sprite exists other than the
code in Aquario itself. Is there a sprite.h file that you could publish
to show the complete api?

4. I know you don't have a set schedule for beta releases, but there
seems to now be a good number of bugs in b6 that you are reporting as fixed.

4.1 Do you have a feel for how soon you'll be releasing b7?

4.2 Is there anything you are waiting on in b6 that we can help with,
such as testing a particular library or feature set?

Thanks for making Plua, and for making it so awesome!

Cheers,

-dB

--
David Brady

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Development Questions for Marcio

Stefan Vorkoetter
David Brady wrote:
> Hi Marcio,
>
> 1.3 I'm assuming you have a different set of tools for developing these
> apps that works for you, otherwise your own tools would be broken. :-)
> How do *you* develop Plua apps on your PC? (I'll open this question to
> the entire list: is anyone else here developing on their PC that would
> share how they do it?)

I use pluac and the Palm emulator directly from the command line. It helps, but isn't necessary, to have a Unix-like shell (cygwin's bash for example) and a good "make" program.

Stefan

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Development Questions for Marcio

bh77a-3
board rather easily.  BIRD is the best option for this
(http://wwww.ppcompiler.org)

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 12:33 -0600, David Brady wrote:

> [...]
> buffer?
>
> 3.2 Can Sprites be created from bitmap resources other than ones in
> their own library? (For example, is it possible to open Aquario from
> another app and get the fish sprites out of it?)
>
> 3.3 You mention that no documentation for Sprite exists other than
> the
> code in Aquario itself. Is there a sprite.h file that you could
> publish
> to show the complete api?
>
> 4. I know you don't have a set schedule for beta releases, but there
> seems to now be a good number of bugs in b6 that you are reporting as
> fixed.
>
> 4.1 Do you have a feel for how soon you'll be releasing b7?
>
> 4.2 Is there anything you are waiting on in b6 that we can help with,
> such as testing a particular library or feature set?
>
> Thanks for making Plua, and for making it so awesome!

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Development Questions for Marcio

migueletto

> 1. How do you develop apps like Aquario? You mentioned that pluac 2.0b5
> changed its command-line args, which means that Plural 2.0.0 can't
> create prc files. This effectively stops me doing development from
my PC
> because I'm ignorant of other ways to make it go. I'm willing to do
> research and post the results for others but I figured I'd ask here in
> the hopes of making sure I'm going in the right direction. :-)

I use an text editor to edit lua and resource files, pilrc to compile
the resources and plua2c to compile the whole app, all from command line.

> 1.2 Is there a plan to fix Plural 2.0?

Plural is not developed by me, but I believe the fix is simple.

> 2. I would very much like to be able to create and edit bitmap
resources
> directly onboard the Palm.
>
> 2.1 Is it possible to do this from Plua?

Plua is not a resource editor. You need a third-party app to do this.

> 2.2 Are bitmap files meaningful on a Palm if they are not stored as a
> resource?

It depends. The buffer.read function supports reading bitmaps from a
stream or vfs file.

> 2.3 Is it possible to compile bitmaps as resources on the palm, if not
> directly from Plua then perhaps with other tools?

I know only one app the edits bitmap resources onboard, it is called Bird.

> 3. Is it possible to create a Sprite without loading a bitmap resource?

No. Sprites require bitmap resources.

> 3.1 Can Sprites be created from any other graphic resource, such as a
> buffer?

No.

> 3.2 Can Sprites be created from bitmap resources other than ones in
> their own library?  (For example, is it possible to open Aquario from
> another app and get the fish sprites out of it?)

Yes (I have not tested it though).

> 3.3 You mention that no documentation for Sprite exists other than the
> code in Aquario itself. Is there a sprite.h file that you could publish
> to show the complete api?

A C header file would not help, since the C interface is not the same
as the Lua interface. The documentation does not exist yet.

> 4. I know you don't have a set schedule for beta releases, but there
> seems to now be a good number of bugs in b6 that you are reporting
as fixed.

> 4.1 Do you have a feel for how soon you'll be releasing b7?

Unfortunately not. It could take a few more weeks.

> 4.2 Is there anything you are waiting on in b6 that we can help with,
> such as testing a particular library or feature set?

I think not. The only thing I need is to find some time beyound the 24
hours a day..

Regards,
Marcio.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Re: Development Questions for Marcio

David Brady-3
migueletto wrote:
> I use an text editor to edit lua and resource files, pilrc to compile
> the resources and plua2c to compile the whole app, all from command line.

MADNESS!  You're all CRAZY!  I see I'll fit in just fine here.  :-)
I'll brush up on my PilRC, I guess.

> Plua is not a resource editor. You need a third-party app to do this.

I recognize that it isn't a resource editor; my thinking is to write
such an editor using Plua. I don't know enough about Palm development to
know if I'm crazy or not, however. It sounds like I can open a vfs file
and pack the headers for a bitmap file manually... but I'll try bird
first. I want to HAVE the tool more that I want to WRITE the tool....

>> 3.2 Can Sprites be created from bitmap resources other than ones in
>> their own library?  (For example, is it possible to open Aquario from
>> another app and get the fish sprites out of it?)
>>

> Yes (I have not tested it though).

I will try to test this for you, then.

> The only thing I need is to find some time beyound the 24
> hours a day..

You could take some time off work to do it.  If your boss complains,
tell him I said it was okay.  ;-D

Cheers!

-dB

--
David Brady

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Development Questions for Marcio

Bugzilla from ibelcomputing@yahoo.com.mx
You can use also TBmpEdit to edit Tbmp resources onboard directly.
With this app you can also import abmp files, manage JPEG and import
them as Tbmp, etc.

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/