Dependency graph of top 350 rocks in luarocks.org

Dependency graph of top 350 rocks in luarocks.org

Hisham
Hi,

I saw this on Twitter, and the author gave me the green-light to share
it, so I thought some of you would enjoy it:

By @syaffers: « Dependency graph for top 350 most dl'ed rocks. Data
crawled from #luarocks (sry!) #lua http://bit.ly/29wNtix »

Tweet:
https://twitter.com/syaffers/status/752078854370439168

Direct link to the image:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/syaffers-stuff/h350.svg

Cheers,

-- Hisham

Re: Dependency graph of top 350 rocks in luarocks.org

Jorge Visca
Wow, that's some serious case of power-law graph!

Jorge

On 28/07/16 18:11, Hisham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw this on Twitter, and the author gave me the green-light to share
> it, so I thought some of you would enjoy it:
>
> By @syaffers: « Dependency graph for top 350 most dl'ed rocks. Data
> crawled from #luarocks (sry!) #lua http://bit.ly/29wNtix »
>
> Tweet:
> https://twitter.com/syaffers/status/752078854370439168
>
> Direct link to the image:
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/syaffers-stuff/h350.svg
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Hisham

Re: Dependency graph of top 350 rocks in luarocks.org

Alban Linard
It seems strange that projects depend on testing tools, such as busted, as this dependency is usually used __only__ for development.

I always end up writing two rockspecs: one to install development environment (busted, cluacov, luacheck, …) and a real one for the non-development dependencies, that is uploaded to luarocks.org.

Is there a way to specify in one rockspec the distinction between dev dependencies and others ? Is there a better solution ? Good practices ?

> Le 28 juil. 2016 à 23:11, Hisham <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> I saw this on Twitter, and the author gave me the green-light to share
> it, so I thought some of you would enjoy it:
>
> By @syaffers: « Dependency graph for top 350 most dl'ed rocks. Data
> crawled from #luarocks (sry!) #lua http://bit.ly/29wNtix »
>
> Tweet:
> https://twitter.com/syaffers/status/752078854370439168
>
> Direct link to the image:
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/syaffers-stuff/h350.svg
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Hisham

Re: Dependency graph of top 350 rocks in luarocks.org

Adrian Perez de Castro
Quoting Alban Linard (2016-07-29 09:17:22)
> It seems strange that projects depend on testing tools, such as busted, as this dependency is usually used __only__ for development.
>
> I always end up writing two rockspecs: one to install development environment (busted, cluacov, luacheck, …) and a real one for the non-development dependencies, that is uploaded to luarocks.org.
>
> Is there a way to specify in one rockspec the distinction between dev dependencies and others ? Is there a better solution ? Good practices ?

Some days ago I had the same issue and wondered whether there is some way of
having “development dependencies” in a rockspec, but after reading through the
LuaRocks documentation the answer seems to be “no”. For now I have settled on
not adding the testing/development dependencies to my rockspecs, and trust
that the developers (that is: myself) will figure out how to install the
development dependencies :-)

> > Le 28 juil. 2016 à 23:11, Hisham <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I saw this on Twitter, and the author gave me the green-light to share
> > it, so I thought some of you would enjoy it:
> >
> > By @syaffers: « Dependency graph for top 350 most dl'ed rocks. Data
> > crawled from #luarocks (sry!) #lua http://bit.ly/29wNtix »
> >
> > Tweet:
> > https://twitter.com/syaffers/status/752078854370439168
> >
> > Direct link to the image:
> > https://s3.amazonaws.com/syaffers-stuff/h350.svg
Nevertheless, the graph is quite cool!

--
 ☛ Adrián

Re: Dependency graph of top 350 rocks in luarocks.org

Valerio
Interesting.
Can you produce one graph without modules that have zero dependencies ?

--
Valerio

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Hisham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I saw this on Twitter, and the author gave me the green-light to share
it, so I thought some of you would enjoy it:

By @syaffers: « Dependency graph for top 350 most dl'ed rocks. Data
crawled from #luarocks (sry!) #lua http://bit.ly/29wNtix »

Tweet:
https://twitter.com/syaffers/status/752078854370439168

Direct link to the image:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/syaffers-stuff/h350.svg

Cheers,

-- Hisham

Re: Dependency graph of top 350 rocks in luarocks.org

Martin

On 16-08-01 02:48 PM, Valerio Schiavoni wrote:
> Interesting.
> Can you produce one graph without modules that have zero dependencies ?

It looks like yEd .graphml file. So I'd just share that file for anyone
who wish to tinker with it.

Re: Dependency graph of top 350 rocks in luarocks.org

Valerio
Sure, please do :-)

--
Valerio