Debugging Engine takes too long to initialize - Dead in the water

Debugging Engine takes too long to initialize - Dead in the water

Steve Kelem

HI. I'm unable to run Lua 5.2 on Eclipse 2020-12 on Windows 10.

I cannot get my program to run or debug. I get timeouts instead.

I set up my project (LutTest01) with two trivial files, a main.lua and a main_Test.lua.

When I try to Run or Debug, I get a popup that says:

Problem Occurred
`Launching LuaTest01_main_Test' has encountered a problem.

Debugging Engine takes too long to initialize

I see that someone complained, in the Eclipse Community Forums, about the same problem on Sat, 13 April 2019 16:34. The only responses in the past 21 months were  three "Me Too"s, me too.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve Kelem

Re: Debugging Engine takes too long to initialize - Dead in the water

Viacheslav Usov
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 7:30 AM Steve Kelem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI. I'm unable to run Lua 5.2 on Eclipse 2020-12 on Windows 10.

I doubt this is really a problem with core Lua, it is more likely a
problem with Eclipse or your configuration. I am not a user of Eclipse
so I do not think I could give you any specific advice.

In general I suppose Eclipse's debugger might offer two modes: run
code in a "built-in" Lua environment or attach to an external Lua
host. I would expect the second option to require more configuration
for both Eclipse and the external host, so if you are new to Lua,
using the built-in debugger might be an easier way to get things
going.

Another thing of note is that you are using Lua 5.2. It is possible
that this is either too old or too new for your Eclipse tooling.

In general I would first try running those "trivial" files in a clean
installation of Eclipse with built-in Lua support that is known to
work.

I hope somebody more knowledgeable about Eclipse could chime in.

Cheers,
V.