Could the Lua mailing program become UTF8-aware

Could the Lua mailing program become UTF8-aware

Foster Schucker
So I see big blocks of UTF8 message code in the digest on a regular
basis.  My savior is people that quote it and then I can see text again.

Can we run a POC on making Lua UTF8 aware by making the mailing program
(that's written in Lua???) be UTF8 aware and translate blocks of text
back to ascii.

To me, that would be a big benefit to all of lua-kind.

Thanks!

Re: Could the Lua mailing program become UTF8-aware

Soni "They/Them" L.

On 2017-05-01 10:36 PM, Foster Schucker wrote:

> So I see big blocks of UTF8 message code in the digest on a regular
> basis.  My savior is people that quote it and then I can see text again.
>
> Can we run a POC on making Lua UTF8 aware by making the mailing
> program (that's written in Lua???) be UTF8 aware and translate blocks
> of text back to ascii.
>
> To me, that would be a big benefit to all of lua-kind.
>
> Thanks!

But then, how are we gonna send beautiful emoji to the list? 😉

Re: Could the Lua mailing program become UTF8-aware

Daniel Silverstone
On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 21:36:42 -0400, Foster Schucker wrote:
> So I see big blocks of UTF8 message code in the digest on a regular basis.
> My savior is people that quote it and then I can see text again.
>
> Can we run a POC on making Lua UTF8 aware by making the mailing program
> (that's written in Lua???) be UTF8 aware and translate blocks of text back
> to ascii.

We use Mailman.  Sadly Mailman 3 is amazingly difficult to deploy properly but
it is on my list of things to do once I've migrated Pepperfish (the hosting
service lua-l runs on) to some new hardware and newer OS version.

Hopefully mailman 3 will improve handling of unicode etc.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69

Re: Could the Lua mailing program become UTF8-aware

Daniel Silverstone
On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 21:36:42 -0400, Foster Schucker wrote:
> So I see big blocks of UTF8 message code in the digest on a regular basis.

In general, I'd also strongly recommend that people don't use digest mode
unless they absolutely cannot cope with the real email load.  Digests are awful
and make it very hard for you to contribute to conversations cleanly.

D.