Concise porting guide?

Van Iderstine, David
Concise porting guide?

Hi all,

I would like to port Lua to a couple of different platforms, of which all but one is some different flavor of embedded device, with a fairly limited set of "normal" services (file I/O, networking, system time, etc.). I have spent time searching, but have not found documentation which describes the changes necessary to make this type of port. Clearly it can be done, as noted from the testimonials of those having ported it Win CE, Lego Mindstorm, etc., but unfortunately I have extremely limited time to get this accomplished in. If I can't do it on that schedule, it'll be nixed entirely (boo hiss). Thanks in advance.

-Dave V.I.

Re: Concise porting guide?

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> I would like to port Lua to a couple of different platforms, of which
> all but one is some different flavor of embedded device, with a fairly
> limited set of "normal" services (file I/O, networking, system time,
> etc.). I have spent time searching, but have not found documentation
> which describes the changes necessary to make this type of port.

The Lua core should be easy to port. It depends very little on the
C runtime library. See

The standard Lua libraries depend more heavily on the C standard library,
but for an embedded device you'll probably have to write your own Lua
libraries anyway.

Just try to compile the Lua core in your embedded platform and post any
problems you have here.
--lhf