Certificate error on lua users wiki

Russell Haley
Hi,

I was looking for more info on garbage collection and I can't navigate to the lua-users.org website due to a certificate error. As I am on a Blackberry Passport running bb10, I don't expect anyone else is having this issue.

The error is that the domain name lua-users.org does not match the certificate domain name of pepperfish.net‎.

Cheers,

Russ

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Virgin Mobile network.

Re: Certificate error on lua users wiki

Jonathan Goble
On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I was looking for more info on garbage collection and I can't navigate to the lua-users.org website due to a certificate error. As I am on a Blackberry Passport running bb10, I don't expect anyone else is having this issue.

The error is that the domain name lua-users.org does not match the certificate domain name of pepperfish.net‎.

I am also getting this error when accessing the HTTPS version of the site via https://lua-users.org/ in the latest version of Firefox on Ubuntu. The site is accessible via HTTP (no S) at http://lua-users.org/.

The complete error message from Firefox, after clicking "Advanced", is as follows:

lua-users.org uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is only valid for the following names: pepperfish.net, *.pepperfish.net, www.pepperfish.net
Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Re: Certificate error on lua users wiki

Daniel Silverstone
On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:38:22 -0800, Russell Haley wrote:
> I was looking for more info on garbage collection and I can't navigate to the
> lua-users.org website due to a certificate error. As I am on a Blackberry
> Passport running bb10, I don't expect anyone else is having this issue.
>
> The error is that the domain name lua-users.org does not match the certificate
> domain name of pepperfish.net‎.

This is because lua-users.org isn't meant to be available over https and the
shared hosting server thus provides the default certificate instead.

I can't do anything about this unless I'm given certificate and keys for
lua-users.org or if the lua-users.org DNS is moved to Pepperfish then I can
turn on automatic letsencrypt support.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69

Re: Certificate error on lua users wiki

Russell Haley
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:36 AM, Daniel Silverstone
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:38:22 -0800, Russell Haley wrote:
>> I was looking for more info on garbage collection and I can't navigate to the
>> lua-users.org website due to a certificate error. As I am on a Blackberry
>> Passport running bb10, I don't expect anyone else is having this issue.
>>
>> The error is that the domain name lua-users.org does not match the certificate
>> domain name of pepperfish.net‎.
>
> This is because lua-users.org isn't meant to be available over https and the
> shared hosting server thus provides the default certificate instead.
>
> I can't do anything about this unless I'm given certificate and keys for
> lua-users.org or if the lua-users.org DNS is moved to Pepperfish then I can
> turn on automatic letsencrypt support.
>
> D.
>
> --
> Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
> PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69

Thanks Daniel,

My problem seems to stem from viewing the site based on searches from
Bing in my BB10 browser. The links provided are all HTTPS and the
browser claims "this website has HTTP Strict Transport Security
enabled". If you can verify that lua-users.org doesn't have that
enabled, (which you more or less have done already in your reply) then
I'll send a request to the bing site.

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but perhaps the site an
force/re-direct a connection to downgrade from https to http (like
forcing it up to https)?

Russ

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 11:36:08 -0800, Russell Haley wrote:
> My problem seems to stem from viewing the site based on searches from
> Bing in my BB10 browser. The links provided are all HTTPS and the
> browser claims "this website has HTTP Strict Transport Security
> enabled". If you can verify that lua-users.org doesn't have that
> enabled, (which you more or less have done already in your reply) then
> I'll send a request to the bing site.

Lua.org has never had hsts to the best of my knowledge.

> I'm not sure if this is even possible, but perhaps the site an
> force/re-direct a connection to downgrade from https to http (like
> forcing it up to https)?

I don't believe so, and I'd imagine browsers would resist it.

D.