Can Lua be used for massive online games

Can Lua be used for massive online games

Dan Joergensen
Hello,

I'm currently investigating the use of Lua script for massive online 3D games... Does anyone have solid statement...

I have been looking at Python www.python.org and Pike www.pike.idonex.com

Regards

Dan

Re: Can Lua be used for massive online games

Luc Van den Borre-2
From: "Dan Joergensen" <[hidden email]> :
|I'm currently investigating the use of Lua script for massive online 3D
games... Does anyone have solid statement...
|I have been looking at Python www.python.org and Pike www.pike.idonex.com

In a word, yes Lua can work here.

For what it's worth, we're using Lua as an extension language on both client and
server for an online game (in development). Lua works well for this kind of
stuff 'out of the box', and you've got the added advantage that it's relatively
easy to mess with the internals if needed.

I can't say if it's suited to your particular project, but you won't waste your
time spending a few days looking into it further.

The Lua license is a no-brainer for commercial products, too. Pike is GPL, which
could be problematic if you're intending to distribute your app.

--Luc Van den Borre

Re: Can Lua be used for massive online games

Steve Dekorte-4
Dan Joergensen wrote:
> I'm currently investigating the use of Lua script for massive online 3D
> games... Does anyone have solid statement...

Lua with cooroutines would be ideal for the server side and if you
need a client side lua technology with 3d graphics, check out www.yindo.com.

Steve

Re: Can Lua be used for massive online games

Joshua Ritter
I'm another game developer here...

I have the artists rather worked up about Lua... they can't stand having
_everything_ from a functional side depend on some coder type... initial
tests show that they could "get" lua.. which will make everybody's life and
our games better...

We have looked at Java, Python, and Lua for scripting... it seems only Lua
keeps in mind that it is a scripting language... and congratulations on that
sirs!

-J

PS: I must say that the coroutines/microthreads are something I am _very_
interested in...

pau

Re: Can Lua be used for massive online games

pau
If you just need an embeded scripting language, Lua is definitely the
choice because it is so small and very well documented.

In our case (online game as well), we use Lua at client side, but use
Pike at server side. The reason we choose Pike is partly due to its
LPC traits (very C-like if compared to Python, easily picked up by C
programmers), but I guess the real point is, Pike is more functional
rich (DB connectivity, threading, networking, parsers, excellent web
server support, etc.) than Lua, and we are not "embedding" it, but
"extending" it by writing native C modules for our own purpose.

We are also opening up the base server engine under GPL license at
www.gime.org, which is still at a very preliminary stage (there is
not even a release, but CVS is accesible).

I guess the GPL license does not really block in the way if you are
only going to run your own server but not sell it.

Regards,
.paul.