CMake

Pau Garcia i Quiles
Hello,

I was fed up with bjam and wrote a CMake build system for luabind. It
works on Windows and Linux, and I expect it would work on other
platforms too.

In case you don't know CMake ( http://www.cmake.org ) it makes easy to
build software on different platforms. No need for msys, cygwin, etc.
It creates makefiles, Visual C++ projects and solutions, XCode
projects, etc for you from a single, easy to write, text file called
CMakeLists.txt. Boost can be compiled with CMake since 1.36, btw.

Are you interested?

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Re: CMake

hymedia
Good job, In my humble opinion, exorcising bjam from luabind wouldn't be a
luxury.

Re: CMake

Daniel Wallin
Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was fed up with bjam and wrote a CMake build system for luabind. It
> works on Windows and Linux, and I expect it would work on other
> platforms too.
>
> In case you don't know CMake ( http://www.cmake.org ) it makes easy to
> build software on different platforms. No need for msys, cygwin, etc.
> It creates makefiles, Visual C++ projects and solutions, XCode
> projects, etc for you from a single, easy to write, text file called
> CMakeLists.txt. Boost can be compiled with CMake since 1.36, btw.
>
> Are you interested?

Sure. There was some effort in doing this in the past. See the archives,
starting from this message:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.luabind/1652

Note that my quote that started the thread: "Fixing the build system..."
doesn't really apply any more, because I have since addressed the issues
I had with the system.

That said, I have nothing against having multiple build systems,
provided someone maintains them.

--
Daniel Wallin
BoostPro Computing

Re: CMake

Pau Garcia i Quiles
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Daniel Wallin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was fed up with bjam and wrote a CMake build system for luabind. It
>> works on Windows and Linux, and I expect it would work on other
>> platforms too.
>>
>> In case you don't know CMake ( http://www.cmake.org ) it makes easy to
>> build software on different platforms. No need for msys, cygwin, etc.
>> It creates makefiles, Visual C++ projects and solutions, XCode
>> projects, etc for you from a single, easy to write, text file called
>> CMakeLists.txt. Boost can be compiled with CMake since 1.36, btw.
>>
>> Are you interested?
>
> Sure. There was some effort in doing this in the past. See the archives,
> starting from this message:
>
>  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.luabind/1652
>
> Note that my quote that started the thread: "Fixing the build system..."
> doesn't really apply any more, because I have since addressed the issues
> I had with the system.
>
> That said, I have nothing against having multiple build systems,
> provided someone maintains them.

What do you mean by:

"In particular, how it handles testing; I'd
like to have the equivalent of BBv2's `compile` and `compile-fail` tests."

(I don't know what BBv2 is, or what 'compile' and 'compile-fail' do)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Re: CMake

Daniel Wallin
Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> What do you mean by:
>
> "In particular, how it handles testing; I'd
> like to have the equivalent of BBv2's `compile` and `compile-fail` tests."
>
> (I don't know what BBv2 is, or what 'compile' and 'compile-fail' do)

BBv2 is Boost Build V2, which is the build system we use now. 'compile'
and 'compile-fail' means tests that aren't executed, but whose success
is determined by the result of the compilation. More generally though, I
want the build process to continue, and the tests run, even if some
targets fail to compile.

Since I'm not about to drop BBv2 this isn't all that important though;
we can just ignore testing with CMake. Or we can have test targets, but
ignore 'compile' tests.

--
Daniel Wallin
BoostPro Computing