[Blog post] Lapis vs Ophal vs Sailor vs Turbolua (The race for a Lua web framework)

[Blog post] Lapis vs Ophal vs Sailor vs Turbolua (The race for a Lua web framework)

Fernando Paredes García
Hello list,

I wrote a quick comparison of all those frameworks and would like have
your feedback:

http://ophal.org/content/30

Regards.

--
Fernando Paredes García

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=develcuy

** Before printing  this message, please consider your commitment with
the environment
** Antes de imprimir este mensaje  piensa en tu compromiso con el medio
ambiente

Re: [Blog post] Lapis vs Ophal vs Sailor vs Turbolua (The race for a Lua web framework)

Hisham
On 2 August 2015 at 01:08, Fernando Paredes García
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I wrote a quick comparison of all those frameworks and would like have your
> feedback:
>
> http://ophal.org/content/30

Even at first glance, the list is a bit too biased, isn't it?

For instance, you're comparing "web frameworks", and you list "is a
CMS" as a pro for your own project and "it is not a CMS" for all
others. Since you are comparing web frameworks, not content management
systems, this does not make sense. For many people, _not_ bundling an
entire CMS with the framework is a pro.

The list of Pros for Ophal is also inflated: for example, it lists
"Cross-platform" and "LuaJIT support". Sailor and Lapis, as they
support Lua 5.1, obviously support LuaJIT as well, and both are also
cross-platform, but you did not add those to their lists. You also
have a bullet saying "Web framework (you can build other things than
CMS stuff)" — well, this applies to all of them. And a quick search
for "lapis docker" returns a lot of results, so count "easy to install
with Docker" there as well. So it looks very forced that all the
others have 4 "pros" and only Ophal has 9.

I also note that you're listing "requires LuaRocks" as a "con". I
understand some people might not like it so I don't dispute that, but
one might also argue that _not_ being available via LuaRocks could be
counted as a "con" as well. But still, Ophal's own documentation
recommends using LuaRocks for installing its dependencies:
https://github.com/ophal/core/blob/master/INSTALL.md

I hope you take the criticism constructively. Thanks for sharing!

-- Hisham

Re: [Blog post] Lapis vs Ophal vs Sailor vs Turbolua (The race for a Lua web framework)

Pierre-Yves Gérardy
On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Fernando Paredes García <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello list,

I wrote a quick comparison of all those frameworks and would like have your feedback:

http://ophal.org/content/30

Regarding Lapis, it also works with
​L​
eda [0]
​ as a backend​
, not just OpenResty, and it can be used without MoonScript.

—Pierre-Yves