Best and Worst of Lua

Haroon Khalid
Hello everyone, how are you? I wanted to know what people think of Lua.

1. What situations are LUA best for?
2. What situations are LUA bad for?

example: games, web dev and so on...

Thanks, and its Friday! Time to hit up Fudruckers!

-------------------------
http://www.boringdays.com

Re: Best and Worst of Lua

Asko Kauppi

Refreshingly light message for a while!!!  :)

1. Lua is best for embedded cases where string handling etc. in C would _really_ suck. Lua is best for quick days when things need to be done to work (with as few lines as possible)

2. Lua is bad (if ever) for military/space/medical programs, where you'd actually want to wear a straightjacket. Use a strongly typed language (C# gets my favor) instead.

-asko

ps. Lua is written as Lua.  LUA is a Microsoft term (among others)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Least_user_access

Haroon Khalid kirjoitti 13.7.2007 kello 22:33:

Hello everyone, how are you? I wanted to know what people think of Lua.

1. What situations are LUA best for?
2. What situations are LUA bad for?

example: games, web dev and so on...

Thanks, and its Friday! Time to hit up Fudruckers!

-------------------------
http://www.boringdays.com

Re: Best and Worst of Lua

Haroon Khalid
Are you near MD? we should do lunch, I really want to make some tight games with Lua and I Guess SDL...

Asko Kauppi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Refreshingly light message for a while!!! :)

1. Lua is best for embedded cases where string handling etc. in C
would _really_ suck.
Lua is best for quick days when things need to be done to work (with
as few lines as possible)

2. Lua is bad (if ever) for military/space/medical programs, where
you'd actually want to wear a straightjacket. Use a strongly typed
language (C# gets my favor) instead.

-asko

ps. Lua is written as Lua. LUA is a Microsoft term (among others)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Least_user_access

Haroon Khalid kirjoitti 13.7.2007 kello 22:33:

> Hello everyone, how are you? I wanted to know what people think of
> Lua.
>
> 1. What situations are LUA best for?
> 2. What situations are LUA bad for?
>
> example: games, web dev and so on...
>
> Thanks, and its Friday! Time to hit up Fudruckers!
>

> -------------------------
> http://www.boringdays.com

-------------------------
http://www.boringdays.com

Re: Best and Worst of Lua

Haroon Khalid
my bad im blazed right now

Asko Kauppi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Refreshingly light message for a while!!! :)

1. Lua is best for embedded cases where string handling etc. in C
would _really_ suck.
Lua is best for quick days when things need to be done to work (with
as few lines as possible)

2. Lua is bad (if ever) for military/space/medical programs, where
you'd actually want to wear a straightjacket. Use a strongly typed
language (C# gets my favor) instead.

-asko

ps. Lua is written as Lua. LUA is a Microsoft term (among others)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Least_user_access

Haroon Khalid kirjoitti 13.7.2007 kello 22:33:

> Hello everyone, how are you? I wanted to know what people think of
> Lua.
>
> 1. What situations are LUA best for?
> 2. What situations are LUA bad for?
>
> example: games, web dev and so on...
>
> Thanks, and its Friday! Time to hit up Fudruckers!
>

> -------------------------
> http://www.boringdays.com

-------------------------
http://www.boringdays.com

Re: Best and Worst of Lua

John Belmonte
Asko Kauppi wrote:
> 1. Lua is best for embedded cases where string handling etc. in C would
> _really_ suck.

...which could be said of any language with saner string support than C.

> Lua is best for quick days when things need to be done to work (with as
> few lines as possible)

I don't agree.  For shortest average completion time of a random
programming task, you will benefit from a large number of available
libraries (e.g. see Perl, Python).  Taking a two day coding detour to
compensate for modules which already exist in the mature stand-alone
scripting languages is not productive to your task at hand.

Lua is best for plenty of things, just not what you mention.

--John

RES: Best and Worst of Lua

Rafael - SosCpdTerra

I must use lua to script C/C++ applications. I just can see the end… its just a HUGE tool. Since access on the fly to the code isn’t a very easy task, and c/c++ still looks very fast to my eyes, I cant find a successor at this time, instead deploy myself an interpreter. I develop daemons. Script way to get in and do something is very welcome. Thanks to Lua and his team!!

Well… good for its done. Bad for? Well… is a very new child. The time will fix the bad in a “for bad do”. J

http://www.boringdays.com

Re: Best and Worst of Lua

Asko Kauppi

So, John...

You did not reveal your answer to the original question?  ;)

"plenty of things" is rather vague, eh?   Loosely typed.

-asko