Beginning Lua Programming

Andrew Wilson-4
Has anybody heard anything about this new book "Beginning Lua Programming" by Kurt Jung, Aaron Brown.

Is it good? Who is target audience?  Content?

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470069171.html
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Lua-Programming-Kurt-Jung/dp/0470069171/sr=1-1/qid=1158157306/ref=sr_1_1/002-0869858-8292045?ie=UTF8&s=books

AGRW

Re: Beginning Lua Programming

Aaron Brown
Andrew Wilson wrote:

Has anybody heard anything about this new book "Beginning
Lua Programming" by Kurt Jung, Aaron Brown.

Is it good?

You'll find out when it's released!  (The current release
date is in February.)

Who is target audience?

It assumes no programming knowledge and is written in a
tutorial style, but we hope more experienced programmers
will benefit from it as well.

Content?

It covers the Lua 5.1 language and its built-in libraries
(including features like metamethods, coroutines, and the C
API, and differences from 5.0) and a variety of community-
written add-on libraries.

--
Aaron

(Sorry for the double send.  -- Aaron)

Re: Beginning Lua Programming

> Has anybody heard anything about this new book "Beginning Lua Programming"
> by Kurt Jung, Aaron Brown.
>
> Is it good? Who is target audience?  Content?

If Aaron is writing the book with the same attention to detail that
he has dedicated to the manual, I guess the book will be great :)

Roberto wrote:

If Aaron is writing the book with the same attention to
detail that he has dedicated to the manual, I guess the
book will be great :)

I really appreciate that, Roberto!

Research for the book accounts for a good percentage of my
reports of typos and lacunas in the manual, as well as some
of the language-lawyerish questions I've asked over the past
few months.

Speaking of which, did you see the following?

Aaron

Re: Beginning Lua Programming

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> Speaking of which, did you see the following?

The comment in "ipairs" should be removed. Unlike pairs, which uses
next, ipairs generate the indices. So there is no "caveats" when
modifying the table during the traversal.

(BTW, I still have in my mailbox other comments about the manual that
I should check.)

Re: Beginning Lua Programming

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> > Speaking of which, did you see the following?
> >
> > http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2006-07/msg00139.html
>
> The comment in "ipairs" should be removed. Unlike pairs, which uses
> next, ipairs generate the indices. So there is no "caveats" when
> modifying the table during the traversal.

Actually, it was removed already. (e.g., the printed version is correct.)

RE: Beginning Lua Programming

Richard Ranft
Hey Aaron!  This looks Awesome!  What's the anticipated release date?

Rich

Modifying an array during ipairs traversal (was re: Beginning Lua Programming)

Aaron Brown
The comment in "ipairs" should be removed.  Unlike pairs,
which uses next, ipairs generate the indices.  So there is
no "caveats" when modifying the table during the
traversal.

Excellent.  (I figured as much.)

--
Aaron

Richard Ranft wrote:

Hey Aaron!  This looks Awesome!  What's the anticipated
release date?

Sometime (early?) in February of 2007.

--
Aaron