Anyone used / using watchman ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anyone used / using watchman ?

Jayanth Acharya
While searching for lua process monitoring, including ability to automatically restart I came across this project which seems pretty interesting, but there's been no update in like the last 2 years --

https://github.com/miGlanz/watchman

Anyhow has used or is using watchman ? Any feedback that can be shared ?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone used / using watchman ?

Jeff Pohlmeyer
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Jayanth Acharya wrote:

> While searching for lua process monitoring, including ability to
> automatically restart I came across this project which seems pretty
> interesting, but there's been no update in like the last 2 years --
>
> https://github.com/miGlanz/watchman


Not quite the same thing, but this project was just announced recently:

https://github.com/Tangent128/sema

 - Jeff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone used / using watchman ?

Jayanth Acharya
Interesting. The name however gives me the impression of it having to do something with "semaphores" !! :-)

Did a quick read, and compared to watchman, looks like sema has limited ability to watch for events. Only process state. Watchman seems to be able to do a bit more. Anyhow, will try it out.


On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Jeff Pohlmeyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Jayanth Acharya wrote:

> While searching for lua process monitoring, including ability to
> automatically restart I came across this project which seems pretty
> interesting, but there's been no update in like the last 2 years --
>
> https://github.com/miGlanz/watchman


Not quite the same thing, but this project was just announced recently:

https://github.com/Tangent128/sema

 - Jeff


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone used / using watchman ?

Tangent 128
On 09/12/2013 12:01 PM, Jayanth Acharya wrote:
> Interesting. The name however gives me the impression of it having to
> do something with "semaphores" !! :-)
>
> Did a quick read, and compared to watchman, looks like sema has
> limited ability to watch for events. Only process state. Watchman
> seems to be able to do a bit more. Anyhow, will try it out.
>
>

Feedback on the present version is always welcome, limited though it is.
The custom commands are kinda the only reason to use it over daemontools
right now. :P

I certainly intend to add richer functionality to sema when I cycle back
to working on it in about a month; next feature priority was going to be
timers, for cron-like functionality, but if there's more external
interest in inotify, socket activation, or something similar, I could
investigate.

(huh, I was looking to see if there were any Lua-based supervisors
before starting sema, but somehow didn't notice Watchman was a thing
until just now. Ah well, ecosystem diversity and all that.)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Anyone used / using watchman ?

Jayanth Acharya
When a library author / maintainer writes to respond on a thread, the library buys my vote !
Would be good to see Sema expand it's functionality. Not sure if Sema uses libev (the slightly hacked version that Watchman uses), but it sure seems to be a smart library.


On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Tangent 128 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/12/2013 12:01 PM, Jayanth Acharya wrote:
> Interesting. The name however gives me the impression of it having to
> do something with "semaphores" !! :-)
>
> Did a quick read, and compared to watchman, looks like sema has
> limited ability to watch for events. Only process state. Watchman
> seems to be able to do a bit more. Anyhow, will try it out.
>
>

Feedback on the present version is always welcome, limited though it is.
The custom commands are kinda the only reason to use it over daemontools
right now. :P

I certainly intend to add richer functionality to sema when I cycle back
to working on it in about a month; next feature priority was going to be
timers, for cron-like functionality, but if there's more external
interest in inotify, socket activation, or something similar, I could
investigate.

(huh, I was looking to see if there were any Lua-based supervisors
before starting sema, but somehow didn't notice Watchman was a thing
until just now. Ah well, ecosystem diversity and all that.)