And news of a 5th Edition Lua Book

Mehmet Faruk Unal

Hi List

We have taken an interest on Lua and want to purchase reading material to get familiar with Lua. But I noticed that the 4th edition released in 2016 is made with 5.3 in mind. I wondered if there is a 5th  edition in the making that will soon be published, because with an untrained eye it seems like the changes in 5.4 are quite significant

With Regards,

Mehmed,

Re: And news of a 5th Edition Lua Book

Jonathan Goble
On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:27 AM Mehmet Faruk Unal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi List

We have taken an interest on Lua and want to purchase reading material to get familiar with Lua. But I noticed that the 4th edition released in 2016 is made with 5.3 in mind. I wondered if there is a 5th  edition in the making that will soon be published, because with an untrained eye it seems like the changes in 5.4 are quite significant

There was an edition for each of 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3. I have no doubt that 5.4 is being worked on. IIRC, the book is self-published, so the Lua team has full control of when a new edition is released.

Re: And news of a 5th Edition Lua Book

Martin Angers
> > We have taken an interest on Lua and want to purchase reading material to
> > get familiar with Lua. But I noticed that the 4th edition released in 2016
> > is made with 5.3 in mind. I wondered if there is a 5th  edition in the
> > making that will soon be published, because with an untrained eye it seems
> > like the changes in 5.4 are quite significant
> >

> There was an edition for each of 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3. I have no doubt
> that 5.4 is being worked on. IIRC, the book is self-published, so the
> Lua
> team has full control of when a new edition is released.

If I may add, I have the 4th edition and it is a _fantastic_ book. Not
only is it a fantastic _Lua_ book, it sets a high bar for any
_programming_ book, with relevant details and idioms, great non-trivial
examples and useful exercises, and in-depth coverage of every part of
the language. I will certainly get the 5.4 edition when/if it comes out,
but in the meantime note that much of the 4th edition still applies.

Incompatibilities are relatively small:
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.4/manual.html#8

The README lists the changes in 5.4 vs 5.3, IMO the biggest changes are
actually additions (<close>, <const>, warn):
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.4/readme.html#changes

RE: And news of a 5th Edition Lua Book

Mehmet Faruk Unal

Thank you,

I can live with that answer, I couldn’t tell how significant the jump is.
But I will take your word for it and go with a 4th edition now and

get the 5th when that version is published.

> > We have taken an interest on Lua and want to purchase reading material to

> > get familiar with Lua. But I noticed that the 4th edition released in 2016

> > is made with 5.3 in mind. I wondered if there is a 5th  edition in the

> > making that will soon be published, because with an untrained eye it seems

> > like the changes in 5.4 are quite significant

> There was an edition for each of 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3. I have no doubt

> that 5.4 is being worked on. IIRC, the book is self-published, so the

> Lua

> team has full control of when a new edition is released.

If I may add, I have the 4th edition and it is a _fantastic_ book. Not

only is it a fantastic _Lua_ book, it sets a high bar for any

_programming_ book, with relevant details and idioms, great non-trivial

examples and useful exercises, and in-depth coverage of every part of

the language. I will certainly get the 5.4 edition when/if it comes out,

but in the meantime note that much of the 4th edition still applies.

Incompatibilities are relatively small:

http://www.lua.org/manual/5.4/manual.html#8

The README lists the changes in 5.4 vs 5.3, IMO the biggest changes are

actually additions (<close>, <const>, warn):

http://www.lua.org/manual/5.4/readme.html#changes

Re: And news of a 5th Edition Lua Book

Russell Haley
Sorry for the top post. I'll be buying the book to support the Lua authors.

Russ

Sent from my BlackBerry - the most secure mobile device - via the Virgin Mobile Network

> > We have taken an interest on Lua and want to purchase reading material to
> > get familiar with Lua. But I noticed that the 4th edition released in 2016
> > is made with 5.3 in mind. I wondered if there is a 5th  edition in the
> > making that will soon be published, because with an untrained eye it seems
> > like the changes in 5.4 are quite significant
> >

> There was an edition for each of 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3. I have no doubt
> that 5.4 is being worked on. IIRC, the book is self-published, so the
> Lua
> team has full control of when a new edition is released.

If I may add, I have the 4th edition and it is a _fantastic_ book. Not
only is it a fantastic _Lua_ book, it sets a high bar for any
_programming_ book, with relevant details and idioms, great non-trivial
examples and useful exercises, and in-depth coverage of every part of
the language. I will certainly get the 5.4 edition when/if it comes out,
but in the meantime note that much of the 4th edition still applies.

Incompatibilities are relatively small:
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.4/manual.html#8

The README lists the changes in 5.4 vs 5.3, IMO the biggest changes are
actually additions (<close>, <const>, warn):
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.4/readme.html#changes

Re: And news of a 5th Edition Lua Book

> We have taken an interest on Lua and want to purchase reading material
> to get familiar with Lua. But I noticed that the 4th edition released
> in 2016 is made with 5.3 in mind. I wondered if there is a 5th edition
> in the making that will soon be published, because with an untrained
> eye it seems like the changes in 5.4 are quite significant

I am not planning a new edition anytime soon. From the book perspective,
the changes to 5.4 are not that significant, except for the new
to-be-closed variables. The new garbage collector is another significant
change in the implementation, but it does not seem to have a relevant
impact on the book. In particular, there are very few incompatibilities,
so most material applies literally.

And many thanks for buying the book to support our project :-)

Re: And news of a 5th Edition Lua Book

> If I may add, I have the 4th edition and it is a _fantastic_ book. Not
> only is it a fantastic _Lua_ book, it sets a high bar for any
> _programming_ book, with relevant details and idioms, great non-trivial
> examples and useful exercises, and in-depth coverage of every part of
> the language.

Many thanks :-)

-- Roberto