AlphaGo and Lua

Parke
I watched the movie AlphaGo on Netflix yesterday.

The movie includes several scenes with computer screens that are
displaying source code.  All the source code appeared to be Lua code
(or perhaps LuaJIT code).  Maybe Lua can now claim to be the world's
smartest programming language?

There are previous posts to this list about Lua bindings written by
DeepMind, but I don't believe there has been any mention of AlphaGo
itself.

Hisham's htop also makes a cameo appearance in the movie.

Cheers,

Parke

Re: AlphaGo and Lua

KHMan
On 1/30/2018 11:05 AM, Parke wrote:
> I watched the movie AlphaGo on Netflix yesterday.
>
> The movie includes several scenes with computer screens that are
> displaying source code.  All the source code appeared to be Lua code
> (or perhaps LuaJIT code).  Maybe Lua can now claim to be the world's
> smartest programming language?

Please no, there are plenty we can talk about Lua that's accurate
and impressive. No need to do any snake-oil salesman kind of
evangelizing. Make the claim and get ripped apart by informed
professionals? Uh, nope, we're not selling a supermarket product.
The "smarts" can be implemented in any suitable language.

> There are previous posts to this list about Lua bindings written by
> DeepMind, but I don't believe there has been any mention of AlphaGo
> itself.
>
> Hisham's htop also makes a cameo appearance in the movie.

Thumbs up to Lua [/ LuaJIT]*, the Lua Team [/ Mike Pall]* and
Hisham! Another feather in your caps.

*subject to further information / confirmation

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Selangor, Malaysia

Re: AlphaGo and Lua

Pierre Chapuis
On Tue, Jan 30, 2018, at 04:05, Parke wrote:

> The movie includes several scenes with computer screens that are
> displaying source code.  All the source code appeared to be Lua code
> (or perhaps LuaJIT code).

That's accurate, because AlphaGo was indeed written in LuaJIT (Torch).

Sadly they moved to TensorFlow in 2016 [1], and so it is not the case
of AlphaGo Zero.

[1] https://venturebeat.com/2016/04/29/deepmind-ai-group-moves-from-torch-framework-to-googles-own-tensorflow/

--
Pierre Chapuis