About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Hakki Dogusan-3
Hi,


In case you've not seen it:

http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2015/02/21/ModeBImperative.html


--
Regards,
Hakki Dogusan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Gregg Reynolds-2


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 9:10 AM Hakki Dogusan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,


In case you've not seen it:

http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2015/02/21/ModeBImperative.html

That is insane. As in "genius".

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Gregg Reynolds-2
In reply to this post by Hakki Dogusan-3


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 9:10 AM Hakki Dogusan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,


In case you've not seen it:

http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2015/02/21/ModeBImperative.html

Could you please do an IBM System/370 circa 1990? That's where I learned to code, and I still miss that indestructible keyboard.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Dirk Laurie-2
2018-07-16 21:53 GMT+02:00 Gregg Reynolds <[hidden email]>:

>
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 9:10 AM Hakki Dogusan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> In case you've not seen it:
>>
>> http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2015/02/21/ModeBImperative.html
>
>
> Could you please do an IBM System/370 circa 1990? That's where I learned to
> code, and I still miss that indestructible keyboard.

Was it very different from the System/360 (my second machine)? Did it still have
the Translate and Test instruction?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Gregg Reynolds-2


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 3:04 PM Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
2018-07-16 21:53 GMT+02:00 Gregg Reynolds <[hidden email]>:
>
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 9:10 AM Hakki Dogusan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> In case you've not seen it:
>>
>> http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2015/02/21/ModeBImperative.html
>
>
> Could you please do an IBM System/370 circa 1990? That's where I learned to
> code, and I still miss that indestructible keyboard.

Was it very different from the System/360 (my second machine)? Did it still have
the Translate and Test instruction?

Hah ha! Believe it or not I may still have a POPs manual (principles of operation). I think that was in there but it's been a while. Definitely HCF!

Lua on mainframe!  EBCDIC  forever!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Gregg Reynolds-2


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 3:10 PM Gregg Reynolds <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 3:04 PM Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
2018-07-16 21:53 GMT+02:00 Gregg Reynolds <[hidden email]>:
>
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 9:10 AM Hakki Dogusan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> In case you've not seen it:
>>
>> http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2015/02/21/ModeBImperative.html
>
>
> Could you please do an IBM System/370 circa 1990? That's where I learned to
> code, and I still miss that indestructible keyboard.

Was it very different from the System/360 (my second machine)? Did it still have
the Translate and Test instruction?

Hah ha! Believe it or not I may still have a POPs manual (principles of operation). I think that was in there but it's been a while. Definitely HCF!

Lua on mainframe!  EBCDIC  forever!

Ok, serious question. The mainframe is far from dead. A cobol programmer can make a good living. Question: are there any known cases of Lua running on a mainframe?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Frank Kastenholz-2

On Jul 16, 2018, at 4:26 PM, Gregg Reynolds <[hidden email]> wrote:




> Could you please do an IBM System/370 circa 1990? That's where I learned to
> code, and I still miss that indestructible keyboard.

D’you mean the 3270s?
Btw, you can have your very own S/370


Was it very different from the System/360 (my second machine)? Did it still have
the Translate and Test instruction?

It did

Ok, serious question. The mainframe is far from dead. A cobol programmer can make a good living. Question: are there any known cases of Lua running on a mainframe?

Linux runs on whatever the latest incarnation of the S/370 is called. I would imagine that Lua could be working there

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Frank Kastenholz-2
In reply to this post by Dirk Laurie-2

> On Jul 16, 2018, at 4:04 PM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 2018-07-16 21:53 GMT+02:00 Gregg Reynolds <[hidden email]>:
>> Could you please do an IBM System/370 circa 1990? That's where I learned to
>> code, and I still miss that indestructible keyboard.
>
> Was it very different from the System/360 (my second machine)? Did it still have
> the Translate and Test instruction?

If I remember right
The 370 was fully backwards compatible with the 360
The big changes, iirc, were the 370 added virtual memory (only available on the 360/67) and some new/different/better I/o channels

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

Gregg Reynolds-2


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 3:43 PM Frank Kastenholz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2018, at 4:04 PM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 2018-07-16 21:53 GMT+02:00 Gregg Reynolds <[hidden email]>:
>> Could you please do an IBM System/370 circa 1990? That's where I learned to
>> code, and I still miss that indestructible keyboard.
>
> Was it very different from the System/360 (my second machine)? Did it still have
> the Translate and Test instruction?

If I remember right
The 370 was fully backwards compatible with the 360
The big changes, iirc, were the 370 added virtual memory (only available on the 360/67) and some new/different/better I/o channels

Yep. Ok, apologies, we're a bit off topic. IBM pretty much invented the concept of computer architecture in the early 60s - one instruction set, many possible hw implementations (I can provide refs to some books if you're interested). So I'm pretty sure the move from 360 to 370 involved extensions, not breaking changes.

These days you can run just about anything on a mainframe, that's why I'm wondering if anybody is actually running Lua that way.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About A PDP-8 Emulator written in Lua by Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)

eric koorn
On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 10:53 PM, Gregg Reynolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> These days you can run just about anything on a mainframe, that's why I'm
> wondering if anybody is actually running Lua that way.
>

There even is a special distribution for z/OS.....

Lua4z
A binary distribution of Lua for z/OS, with batteries
http://lua4z.com/