AW: [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release

Peter Prade
Nice!!
It still has it quirks, for example it doesn't work with pathnames that have spaces in it (like "Documents and Settings").
Also the fact that you have to "compile and link" before you can debug is strange :-) - well i guess the IDE was developed with other languages in mind and only adapted for Lua, right?

I am looking forward for the next version of it :-)

Cheers,
Peter

Re: [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release

Tristan Rybak-2
Thanks for pointing that path error, I corrected it.
The IDE was developed with Lua in my strange mind. "link" is when I merge
compiled lua code into one output file. I am open for any suggestions how to
call that :->.
Cheers,
Tristan

> It still has it quirks, for example it doesn't work with pathnames that
have spaces in it (like "Documents and Settings").
> Also the fact that you have to "compile and link" before you can debug is
strange :-) - well i guess the IDE was developed with other languages in
mind and only adapted for Lua, right?

> I am looking forward for the next version of it :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Benoit Germain

Very nice job indeed.

I gather that in a project that contains more than one script, none of the
scripts need to dofile() the others because you generate a single output
bytecode file. In case some scripts simply declare functions, and another
uses them, how do we specify the program entry point (ie the "link" order)
so that the functions are declared before we attempt to use them ?

Another thing: the IDE is the host of the lua state that is being debugged.
I understand that the dynamic library mechanism is here so that the IDE can
use the same extensions as those that will be available in the actual host
of the lua state. In case such separation is not feasible (for example the
intended host does not run on a win32 platform), is in your plans to support
remote debugging of a LUA state located in its intended host ?

Regards,

Benoit.

How does that compare with EDELua?
See http://home.t-online.de/home/KZerbe/edelua.htm

How does that fit into Vis Lua?
See http://lua-users.org/wiki/VisLua

RE: [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release

Nick Trout-4
First of all well done on the LuaIDE work. I would second Benoits comments
though.

> How does that fit into Vis Lua?
> See http://lua-users.org/wiki/VisLua

VisLua is intended to be as portable as possible (hence wxWindows and
largely written in Lua). It is also intended that it connects to a remote
client session once the client state has been created - ie. the debugger
will connect to client session which the client advertises, probably all
communicating using tcp/ip. The client would contain a small debug stub,
included in the development build. I did get some tests working using Lua
network stuff but havent had time to continue.

My hobby projects (doris.sf.net) dont really require a Lua debugger
currently since the scripts are small. I should be changing jobs soon though
and work may continue. Currently I'm doing graphical effects and game guts,
not much scripting going on.

Regards,
Nick

Re: wxLua (was [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release)

Martin Spernau
How does that fit into Vis Lua?
See http://lua-users.org/wiki/VisLua
VisLua is intended to be as portable as possible (hence wxWindows and
largely written in Lua). It is also intended that it connects to a remote
client session once the client state has been created - ie. the debugger

Say, did you have a look at the current wxLua 1.1 release?
>From what I've seen it does something similar.... (not sure how yet)

Maybe the author can give further comments?

cheers, Martin

RE: wxLua (was [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release)

Nick Trout-4
> >>How does that fit into Vis Lua?
> >>See http://lua-users.org/wiki/VisLua
> > VisLua is intended to be as portable as possible (hence
> wxWindows and
> > largely written in Lua). It is also intended that it
> connects to a remote
> > client session once the client state has been created - ie.
> the debugger
>
> Say, did you have a look at the current wxLua 1.1 release?
>  From what I've seen it does something similar.... (not sure how yet)

AFAIK it just provides a debug console which catches errors and you can
print to (if you're not running wxLua from command line), and what looks
like a watch window (but I cant get to work). There is no debugging
functionality or remote debugging.

Re: wxLua (was [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release)

Martin Spernau
Say, did you have a look at the current wxLua 1.1 release?
>From what I've seen it does something similar.... (not sure how yet)
AFAIK it just provides a debug console which catches errors and you can
print to (if you're not running wxLua from command line), and what looks
like a watch window (but I cant get to work). There is no debugging
functionality or remote debugging.

The wxLua 'IDE' can load and debug a wxLua program. It can do breakpoint, step in and out etc.
Am I missing something?
Not sure about _remote_ debugging tho. currently the IDE starts a second 'instance' which it call a 'client'...

-Martin

RE: wxLua (was [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release)

Nick Trout-4
> The wxLua 'IDE' can load and debug a wxLua program. It can do
> breakpoint, step in and out etc.
> Am I missing something?
> Not sure about _remote_ debugging tho. currently the IDE
> starts a second
> 'instance' which it call a 'client'...

Sorry I had a link to the old site which still contains the old version.

Dont think this version does remote debuggin but looks like nice little tool
for local debugging. I have use titmouse a couple of times but I dont like
keymap (ctrl-x exits application?!) and it still seems bit buggy, this may
be a better solution. Perhaps I'll try and hack my debug stubs into it.

Well done wxLua team, keep up the good work.

Re: wxLua (was [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release)

Martin Spernau
Dont think this version does remote debuggin but looks like nice little tool
for local debugging. I have use titmouse a couple of times but I dont like
keymap (ctrl-x exits application?!) and it still seems bit buggy,
> this may be a better solution.

The keymaps etc. are all in Lua, also menus etc.

> Perhaps I'll try and hack my debug stubs into it.

That would be cool, as I also would like to extend the wxLua to include LuaSockets and some other libs I'd like to heve.

Well done wxLua team, keep up the good work.

I'll absolutly second that!
(altho I think the 'team' is only one person, Paul Windood)

-Martin

RE: wxLua (was [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release)

Nick Trout-4

> > for local debugging. I have use titmouse a couple of times
> but I dont like
> > keymap (ctrl-x exits application?!) and it still seems bit buggy,
>  > this may be a better solution.
>
> The keymaps etc. are all in Lua, also menus etc.

Oh, theres no mention of this in the readme that comes with the binaries, or
any lua file.

>  > Perhaps I'll try and hack my debug stubs into it.
>
> That would be cool, as I also would like to extend the wxLua
> to include
> LuaSockets and some other libs I'd like to heve.

Well I also started a version of Lua called Rio which dynamically loads libs
as well, but this is in the "work to do" pile as well :-) ie. so you could
load wxLua DLL and LuaSocket DLL and create a debugger then debug target
application. It is easier just to statically link it all together though :-)

> > Well done wxLua team, keep up the good work.
>
> I'll absolutly second that!
> (altho I think the 'team' is only one person, Paul Windood)

Ah. I thought I saw some other names in the credits, probably my mistake,
sorry.

Re: wxLua (was [ANNOUNCE] LuaIDE 1.0 release)

paul winwood-3
> Ah. I thought I saw some other names in the credits, probably my
mistake,

Credit also has to go to David Cuny for wxBasic and to Francis Irving
for his assistance in developing wxLua - (see
http://www.lomtick.co.uk/wxLua/mod.php?
mod=userpage&menu=100&page_id=2)

Credit must also go to the LUA authors for such a fine language.

The reason for launching a 'client' for debugging - which I
originally did not want to do - was to overcome the fact that the GUI
aspects of wxWindows are limited to a single thread - probably due to
underlying windowing system limitations. Therefore this prevented my
writing the IDE in wxLua and debugging another wxLua 'script' at the
same time.

The wxLua 1.1 has release has bindings for much more of the wxWindows
API, the wxLua 'IDE', bug fixes (!), and much better support for
Linux.