[ANNOUNCE] luabind available as public beta

[ANNOUNCE] luabind available as public beta

Arvid Norberg
We are pleased to announce that a beta of luabind is now available for public download.

http://luabind.sf.net/

luabind is a library that helps you create bindings between C++ and <http://www.lua.org>lua. It has the ability to expose functions and classes, written in C++, to lua. It also supplies the functionality to define classes in lua and let them derive from other lua classes or C++ classes.

---
Arvid Norberg and Daniel Wallin

Re: [ANNOUNCE] luabind available as public beta

Alexey Scryabin
Hello guys!

Good work, far better than my own in-house "bindings creator". I've
tried is as soon as I could :) Here is the "primae impressionis":

1. Compiling speed is aaawful (the price of template metaprogramming, i do
guess...). With precompiled headers turned on, the whole compiling time is much
lesser, but as you had mentioned on your page there are linkage issues
when using anonymous namespaces in ph.

2. There are some compile time warnings even with msvc's warning
level 3. The most dumb are:

..\luabind\detail\primitives.hpp(65) : warning C4267: 'initializing' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'int', possible loss of data
..\luabind\detail\class_rep.hpp(269) : warning C4267: '=' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'int', possible loss of data

(my platform - msvc.net/regular stl implementation, lua 5 final, boost
1.30)

What are your expections to get the final-stable-robust release
working with final lua 5 and a number of popular compilers?

--
Best regards,
 Alexey Scryabin                            [hidden email]

Re: [ANNOUNCE] luabind available as public beta

Daniel Wallin-2
At 12:17 2003-04-16, you wrote:
Hello guys!

Good work, far better than my own in-house "bindings creator". I've
tried is as soon as I could :) Here is the "primae impressionis":

1. Compiling speed is aaawful (the price of template metaprogramming, i do
guess...). With precompiled headers turned on, the whole compiling time is much
lesser, but as you had mentioned on your page there are linkage issues
when using anonymous namespaces in ph.

Right. The issues with linkage in anonymous namespaces will be
fixed in the next release.

2. There are some compile time warnings even with msvc's warning
level 3. The most dumb are:

..\luabind\detail\primitives.hpp(65) : warning C4267: 'initializing' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'int', possible loss of data ..\luabind\detail\class_rep.hpp(269) : warning C4267: '=' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'int', possible loss of data

(my platform - msvc.net/regular stl implementation, lua 5 final, boost
1.30)

What are your expections to get the final-stable-robust release
working with final lua 5 and a number of popular compilers?

We are aiming for a stable release within a month. What popular compilers
are you refering to? We currently support all msvc compilers from 6.0 up and
gcc2.95.3 and up. Plus all intel compilers.

Daniel Wallin, [hidden email]

Re[2]: [ANNOUNCE] luabind available as public beta

Alexey Scryabin
Hello Daniel,

DW> Right. The issues with linkage in anonymous namespaces will be
DW> fixed in the next release.

great!

DW> We are aiming for a stable release within a month. What popular compilers
DW> are you refering to? We currently support all msvc compilers from 6.0 up and
DW> gcc2.95.3 and up. Plus all intel compilers.

that's exactly what I mean