[ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

John Belmonte-2
A searchable HTML archive of lua-l is now available:

    http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/

The motivation was to provide an alternative to the archive at Yahoo Groups, which forces users to click through advertisements and limits the message range of searches.

The new archive is updated once a day, and features full text searching. The search syntax can be a little techie but allows for powerful queries. For example, a search for announcements (best if sorted by date):

    +subject:announce not +subject:re:

A search for authorative info on the upcoming version of Lua:

    4.1 and ( +author:lhf or +author:roberto )

--
OpenPGP encrypted mail welcome.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

Enrico Colombini
>A searchable HTML archive of lua-l is now available:
>
>     http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/

Excellent idea! It seems to be very usable and fast.

  Enrico

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

Peter Shook-5
It is a marvelous web page John.

- Peter

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

jame
This is really nice compared to yahoo's egroups mess these
days. But, unfortunately I have one complaint: each post has
unprotected email addresses just waiting for a spam harvesting
program.. would it be possible to strip / protect email addresses
in the posts somehow?

Regards,
Jim

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

John Belmonte-2
[hidden email] wrote:
This is really nice compared to yahoo's egroups mess these
days. But, unfortunately I have one complaint: each post has
unprotected email addresses just waiting for a spam harvesting
program.. would it be possible to strip / protect email addresses
in the posts somehow?

It's possible, but perhaps such measures would have little effect because the addresses are already available to harvesters by other means (archive links at http://www.lua.org/lua-l.html).

I would be opposed to stripping addresses because that would decrease the utility of the archives. I'll see if I can't add a little obfuscation.

-John

--
OpenPGP encrypted mail welcome.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

Steve Dekorte-4

On Sunday, May 26, 2002, at 12:10  PM, [hidden email] wrote:
...would it be possible to strip / protect email addresses
in the posts somehow?

Yes, please do that. Something as simple as:

  address = gsub(gsub(address, "@", " at "), "%.", " dot ")

would be sufficient.

Steve

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

jame
Please, if you can. And please don't take this
one minor complaint as negative overall. This
archive is really nice to have.

> I would be opposed to stripping addresses because that would decrease
> the utility of the archives.  I'll see if I can't add a little
obfuscation.

People can post to the list to interact with list
subscribers. imho there is no need to print email
addresses "in broad daylight". we don't need to
give spammers any more help than we need too.

http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-l-digest

Ack, I had no idea this was available. Since there are now
two list archives which (hopefully) strip addresses, can we
get stuff like this shutdown by the lua folks? You can replace
the "daily archives" with a link to John's archive. I don't
think the zipped / ftp archives are a problem. Just the stuff
that's web based.

Regards,
Jim

> > This is really nice compared to yahoo's egroups mess these
> > days. But, unfortunately I have one complaint: each post has
> > unprotected email addresses just waiting for a spam harvesting
> > program.. would it be possible to strip / protect email addresses
> > in the posts somehow?
>

> It's possible, but perhaps such measures would have little effect
> because the addresses are already available to harvesters by other means
> (archive links at http://www.lua.org/lua-l.html).
>
> I would be opposed to stripping addresses because that would decrease
> the utility of the archives.  I'll see if I can't add a little
obfuscation.

> -John
>

> --
> OpenPGP encrypted mail welcome.

exporter

Sebastien Gerin
hello
I'm new to lua, and I'd like to make a generic class and method exporter
into lua...
I'm looking for examples...
do you have any links for me ??

thx

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

Björn De Meyer
Steve Dekorte wrote:

> Yes, please do that. Something as simple as:
>
>    address = gsub(gsub(address, "@", " at "), "%.", " dot ")
>
> would be sufficient.
>
> Steve

Not really. The spammer's bots can easily substitute those back
again to the real email address. Spammers can use regexps as well
as we can.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer

RE: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

Peter Prade
> >    address = gsub(gsub(address, "@", " at "), "%.", " dot ")
> > would be sufficient.

> Not really. The spammer's bots can easily substitute those back
> again to the real email address. Spammers can use regexps as well
> as we can.

That may be true, but i bet (as long as email address obfuscation isn't done
by the majority of web users) that 95% of mail harvesters don't bother. It's
not that they would only have to add one regexp to their search, there are
lots of schemes to obfuscate an email address - and then it isn't as easy
any more to detect if something is an email address or not.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: [ANNOUNCE] lua-l archive at lua-users.org

Philippe Lhoste
> Steve Dekorte wrote:
> >
> > Yes, please do that. Something as simple as:
> >
> >    address = gsub(gsub(address, "@", " at "), "%.", " dot ")
> >
> > would be sufficient.
> >
> > Steve
>
> Not really. The spammer's bots can easily substitute those back
> again to the real email address. Spammers can use regexps as well
> as we can.
>
> Björn De Meyer

I agree. I always wondered of the usefulness of such obfuscation. It was
probably effective the first times, but since almost everybody use the same
tricks ("[hidden email]", "PhiLho at GMX dot net" or such), I bet
some spammers harvest and normalize these addresses as well. Or not?

Regards.

--
--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)

http://www.gmx.net

RE: exporter

Martin Stone-3
> I'm new to lua, and I'd like to make a generic class and method exporter
> into lua...
> I'm looking for examples...
> do you have any links for me ??

If you're talking about generic in the C++ template programming sense, you may get some inspiration from the Boost Python Library: http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/.  I haven't used it myself but it sounds pretty good -- and they have high standards at Boost.  (The rest of Boost is worth a look too if you're not aware of it.)  I don't know about any existing Lua ones (having to use C for my Lua project :-( ).

HTH

Martin.

Re: exporter

Sebastien Gerin
> > I'm new to lua, and I'd like to make a generic class and method exporter
> > into lua...
> > I'm looking for examples...
> > do you have any links for me ??
>
> If you're talking about generic in the C++ template programming sense, you
may get some inspiration from the Boost Python Library:
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/.  I haven't used it myself but it
sounds pretty good -- and they have high standards at Boost.  (The rest of
Boost is worth a look too if you're not aware of it.)  I don't know about
any existing Lua ones (having to use C for my Lua project :-( ).

> HTH
>
> Martin.

no in fact I would like to make something like The Flat Four Engine
(http://www.379.com/f4/), which is, I think, a pretty good example
He uses macro to export dynamicly class and methods from C++ to lua
but the engine is pretty complex to understand, I think too :), and I would
like to know if a simplest example exists ... ??

tolua is to "global" for me, it exports everything, I haven't any control of
what is exported (because all is exported !)

RE: exporter

Nick Trout-4
> no in fact I would like to make something like The Flat Four Engine
> (http://www.379.com/f4/), which is, I think, a pretty good example
> He uses macro to export dynamicly class and methods from C++ to lua
> but the engine is pretty complex to understand, I think too
> :), and I would
> like to know if a simplest example exists ... ??
>
> tolua is to "global" for me, it exports everything, I haven't
> any control of
> what is exported (because all is exported !)

You have complete control over what gets exported from toLua. You specify
what you would like to expose and bind in the interface file. The interface
file is a "cleaned up" version of the interface you would like to present.
Another alternative is SWIG-Lua which does the same thing essentially.

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaAddons

Re[2]: exporter

Denis Andreev
SG> He uses macro to export dynamicly class and methods from C++ to lua
SG> but the engine is pretty complex to understand, I think too :), and I would
SG> like to know if a simplest example exists ... ??

I think you must look at luna. Search for it on lua-users.org

--Denq

Re: Re[2]: exporter

Ignacio Castaño
Denis Andreev wrote:
> I think you must look at luna. Search for it on lua-users.org

There is a LTN explaining how luna works:

http://www.lua.org/notes/ltn005.html

Ignacio Castaño

Re: Re[2]: exporter

Sebastien Gerin
> Denis Andreev wrote:
> I think you must look at luna. Search for it on lua-users.org

after looking Luna, somethinf is still bothering me ... :)
function that are exported to Lua like "Account" or "deposit" are made of
lua expressions (lua_tonumber...), lua can evaluate these registerd
functions.
Is there a way to export "real" C++ (or C) function to lua ? How lua can
interpret it ?

For example : in lua's doc, there is a function "foo", which is registerd as
"average". Is it possible to register a C function  "int average(int a, int
b) { return (a+b)/2;}" to lua ?

I think it's possible because, it is done in the Flat Four Engine
(http://www.379.com/f4/)  ...

hope someone could help me ...
thx

Re: Re[2]: exporter

>it possible to register a C function  "int average(int a, int >b) { return (a+b)/2;}" to lua ?

No, it's not. C functions to be used with Lua must follow a protocol to receive
and send results. There are tools that make this glue code automatically and
so it may seem that an ordinary C function is being exported to Lua as is, but
this is an illusion (but a very nice one). Look for "code wrappers" in
lua-users.org.
--lhf