[ANNOUNCE] bare-bones loadlib

Re: NULL user data ...

Enrico Colombini
>The 4..0.1 is called 4.0-update and should be found on every mirror
>(You can find it on my mirror ftp://ftp.hougaard.com/lua/dist/ )

Why there is not a word about it on http://www.lua.org/download.html?

And why only as a patch? It seems a bit confusing to me. Advocating Lua is
already hard (because of existing "beliefs"), but if I have to explain
"First download this file, then this other from somewhere else, then find a
Unix system, then de-gzip the files in this order, then untar them [try
explaining this to a Windows user], then transport them all back on your
box, fix this incompatibility with the Borland compiler [is it just my
senile memory?], then compile ignoring those "undefined structure"
warnings. See? Is was easy"...

Please understand that I write this because I like Lua a lot. I am
_definitely_ not advocating a Windows installer or something of that sort,
but most people is used to get a .zip file of the latest complete version
(as an alternative to a tar.gz). Removing a hurdle should do no harm.

  Enrico

Re: NULL user data ...

Philippe Lhoste
> Why there is not a word about it on http://www.lua.org/download.html?

Good question, perhaps because it is only a patch, not yet an official
release.

> And why only as a patch?

For fast download? And probably because Lua authors didn't had the time yet
to make a full release. I recall they mentioned their intention to do so.

> It seems a bit confusing to me. Advocating Lua is
> already hard (because of existing "beliefs"), but if I have to explain
> "First download this file, then this other from somewhere else, then find
> Unix system, then de-gzip the files in this order, then untar them [try
> explaining this to a Windows user],

? I have a Windows box and have no trouble to handle .tar.gz files.
Actually, I routinely download these files in preference to .zip files
because they are smallers.

Most modern unzippers handle them nicely. I use the UltimateZip freeware and
is happy with it despite some glitches that I put on the beta status. The
only hassle is that .tar.gz are opened, showing a .tar file. I asked the author
to untar it automatically but it is not high on his list of priorities.

Another hassle are .tgz files, where usually the tar file has no extension,
so isn't gracefully handled on Windows. I have to uncompress it, add the .tar
extension and go on.
But I am OT, I fear.

You can find also gzip and tar executables for Windows, there is Cygwin
versions, but I prefer to use those at
http://www.weihenstephan.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html

> then transport them all back on your
> box, fix this incompatibility with the Borland compiler [is it just my
> senile memory?], then compile ignoring those "undefined structure"
> warnings. See? Is was easy"...

Did these warning were reported to the Lua team? They usually are quite
responsive for such problems.

> Please understand that I write this because I like Lua a lot. I am
> _definitely_ not advocating a Windows installer or something of that sort,

(Sigh of relief :-)

> but most people is used to get a .zip file of the latest complete version
> (as an alternative to a tar.gz). Removing a hurdle should do no harm.
>
>   Enrico

You can fetch Lua binaries from alternative sources, like my site or THLua,
for example. See the Lua distributions on http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaAddons

Now, perhaps indeed providing a .zip file of the sources can be a good idea,
zlib can be used for that, I think, with little work.

Regards.

--
--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--=#=--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)

http://www.gmx.net

[OT] Re: NULL user data ...

Andre Costa
On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 17:27:38 +0200 (MEST)
Philippe Lhoste <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]
> Now, perhaps indeed providing a .zip file of the sources can be a good
> idea, zlib can be used for that, I think, with little work.

zip and unzip are available for *NIX, and they are fully compatible with
their M$ counterparts. You can find them at

http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/Zip.html
http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html

Best,

Andre

Re: [OT] Re: NULL user data ...

Erik Hougaard

Re: NULL user data ...

Enrico Colombini
>Did these warning were reported to the Lua team? They usually are quite
>responsive for such problems.

I got information about the Borland compiling problem (line 45 of lcode.h,
I just checked my notes) from the list archive, so it is already known.

About the "undefined structure" (lua_State) warnings, I classified them as
a minor annoyance and decided to look into the problem (which also happens
with SDL) "at the first opportunity" before reporting it. Needless to say,
I haven't done anything yet.

  Enrico

[OT] Re: NULL user data ...

Björn De Meyer
Enrico Colombini wrote:

/snip
> I am
> _definitely_ not advocating a Windows installer or something of that sort,

But, if you want to make one, it's easy.
Juts get the NSIS Windows installer compiler from
Nullsoft here:

http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/

It's Free Software, and it works quite well.
Although the syntax is not as clean as that of Lua.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer