[ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

[ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
A pre-release of Lua 5.0 (final) is now available for downloading at
        http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.0.tar.gz

This is a pre-release because we have made several changes in config and
Makefile since Lua 5.0 (beta) and would like to test them before freezing the
package. So, please download and compile it, taking some time to read config,
and let us know if there are any compilation problems (or bugs in the code!).

The tarbal includes an updated reference manual in HTML, but no indices.
A complete manual in HTML and a PDF version will be available on the site
when Lua 5.0 final is released.

If no installation problems are found and reported in a week or so, we'll
release Lua 5.0 final.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Steven Frank

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 04:16 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

A pre-release of Lua 5.0 (final) is now available for downloading at
        http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.0.tar.gz

This is a pre-release because we have made several changes in config and Makefile since Lua 5.0 (beta) and would like to test them before freezing the package. So, please download and compile it, taking some time to read config, and let us know if there are any compilation problems (or bugs in the code!).

Hello,

Got a compile problem on Mac OS X:

cd src/lib; make all
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include         -c -o lauxlib.o lauxlib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include         -c -o lbaselib.o lbaselib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include         -c -o ldblib.o ldblib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include         -c -o liolib.o liolib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include         -c -o lmathlib.o lmathlib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include         -c -o ltablib.o ltablib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include         -c -o lstrlib.o lstrlib.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include         -c -o loadlib.o loadlib.c
ar rcu ../../lib/liblualib.a lauxlib.o lbaselib.o ldblib.o liolib.o lmathlib.o ltablib.o lstrlib.o loadlib.o
ranlib ../../lib/liblualib.a
cd src/luac; make all
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include  -I..     -c -o luac.o luac.c
gcc -O2 -Wall -I../../include  -I..     -c -o print.o print.c
gcc -o lopcodes.o -c -O2 -Wall -I../../include -I.. -DLUA_OPNAMES ../lopcodes.c gcc -o ../../bin/luac -Wl,-E luac.o print.o lopcodes.o -L../../lib -llua -llualib -lm -ldl
ld: unknown flag: -E
make[1]: *** [../../bin/luac] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I was able to compile the 5.0 beta without any problems.

Steven
http://stevenf.com/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

>Got a compile problem on Mac OS X:

>gcc -o ../../bin/luac -Wl,-E luac.o print.o lopcodes.o -L../../lib
>-llua -llualib -lm -ldl
>ld: unknown flag: -E

config says:

 # Write here any options you may need for your C linker.
 # Support for dynamic loading in Linux with gcc needs -Wl,-E. If you are not
 # using gcc or do not want support for dynamic loading, leave MYLDFLAGS empty.
 #
 MYLDFLAGS= -Wl,-E

So, just comment the line above. We left this as the default so that
compilation under Linux would work cleanly.

Mac OS X does have support for dynamic loading; there's even a dlfcn
module for it at http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/dlcompat/ , but I
don't know whether you need something like -Wl,-E. Perhaps it's called
-export-dynamic instead of -E?

Thanks for the report. That's the kind of thing we're looking for.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Steven Frank
 MYLDFLAGS= -Wl,-E

So, just comment the line above. We left this as the default so that
compilation under Linux would work cleanly.

Aha, I see.

For a successful Mac OS X compile, you also have to remove -ldl from this line in config:

EXTRA_LIBS= -lm

And after 'make install':

sudo ranlib /usr/local/lib/*.a

Works with my tiny little test app.  :)

Steven
http://stevenf.com/

lua.spec for rpm building (was Re: Lua 5.0 ...)

Bennett Todd
I've no idea whether you've any interest in including a spec file
for automatic rpm building in the distrib or not, but if you do,
this might be a convenient starting point; it's continued to work
with little change for me for a while.

If you were to include this, just make sure it's named with a
filename ending in .spec, e.g. lua.spec, and it can be in a
subdirectory, rpm seaches for such; e.g. it could be
contrib/lua.spec or contrib/redhat/lua.spec or whatever.

Also, it'd be nice to try and update the Version string whenever you
wrap a new version, so it matches the tarball filename and the name
of the dir into which it extracts.

Do that, and people could download your tarball and "rpm -ta" it to
get installable i386.rpm and src.rpm automatically (under RH8 and
later, make that "rpmbuild -ta" rather than "rpm -ta").

-Bennett
Source: <a  rel="nofollow" href="http://www.lua.org/ftp/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz">http://www.lua.org/ftp/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
BuildRoot: /var/tmp/lua-rpmroot

%description

Lua is a programming language originally designed for extending applications,
but also frequently used as a general-purpose, stand-alone language.
Lua combines simple procedural syntax (similar to Pascal) with powerful
data description constructs based on associative arrays and extensible
semantics. Lua is dynamically typed, interpreted from bytecodes, and has
automatic memory management, making it ideal for configuration, scripting,
and rapid prototyping.

Lua is implemented as a small library of C functions, written in ANSI C,
and compiles unmodified in all known platforms. The implementation goals
are simplicity, efficiency, portability, and low embedding cost.

%prep
%setup

%build
make

%install
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/{bin,lib,include/lua,share/man/man1}
install -s bin/lua bin/luac $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/bin/
install lib/lib*.a $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/lib/
install include/*.h $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/include/lua
install doc/*.1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/share/man/man1/

%files
%defattr(-,root,root)
/usr/bin/*
/usr/include/*
/usr/lib/*
%doc /usr/share/man/*/*
%doc [A-Z]* etc doc/*.html doc/*.gif test

%changelog
* Thu Jul 18 2002 Bennett Todd <[hidden email]>
  - 4.0.1-1: simplified URLs to www.lua.org
* Fri Jan 04 2002 Bennett Todd <[hidden email]>
  - 4.0-2: cleaned up %files
* Tue Apr 25 2000 Bennett Todd <[hidden email]>
  - Version 4.0alpha, reset Release to 1
* Fri Apr 21 2000 Bennett Todd <[hidden email]>
  - Release 2, tossed in spe.html
* Wed Dec 15 1999 <[hidden email]>
  - Initial Wrap

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Ignacio Castaño
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> This is a pre-release because we have made several changes in config and
> Makefile since Lua 5.0 (beta) and would like to test them before freezing
the
> package. So, please download and compile it, taking some time to read
config,
> and let us know if there are any compilation problems (or bugs in the
code!).

After removing -ldl compilation worked fine under both cygwin and mingw.

Is the documentation in it's final state? I miss the documentation of some
api functions...

Anyway, good work!

Ignacio Castaño

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Kurt Jung-2
>So, please download and compile it, taking some time to read config,
>and let us know if there are any compilation problems (or bugs in the
>code!).

This latest offering compiles with no warnings on Win32 using Borland C.

Kurt Jung

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Will Cowling
One very minor point...

I'm compiling it on a PS2, which has no support for doubles, so I use
USE_FLOAT to force numbers as single precision floats.  This gives many
compiler warnings about conversion from int to float, which I have to add
explicit casts to lua_number to get rid of.  Also, although I haven't done
it yet, I'll need to replace lua_str2number so it doesn't use strtod.

Is there a better solution to this?  Perhaps I'm missing something?

Apart from that, it compiles with no errors and runs fine :)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Pablo Saldo-4
This is a pre-release because we have made several changes in config and
Makefile since Lua 5.0 (beta) and would like to test them before freezing the
package. So, please download and compile it, taking some time to read config,
and let us know if there are any compilation problems (or bugs in the code!).

I've got this (very non-)descriptive error from make:

gcc -o ../../bin/luac -Wl,-E luac.o print.o lopcodes.o -L../../lib -llua -llualib -lm -lreadline -lhistory -lcurses -lncurses
make[1]: *** [../../bin/luac] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/pablo/lua/lua-5.0/src/luac'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm using cygwin.
How can I get a more descriptive error message?

--

Pablo.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

paul winwood-3
> This latest offering compiles with no warnings on Win32 using
Borland C.

Sorry, I have to disagree I get the following warnings when compiling
with Borland C++ 5.5.1

Warning W8004 lundump.c 229: 'x' is assigned a value that is never
used in function LoadHeader
Warning W8004 ldo.c 256: 'ci' is assigned a value that is never used
in function luaD_precall
Warning W8071 lgc.c 161: Conversion may lose significant digits in
function traversetable
Warning W8071 ltm.c 52: Conversion may lose significant digits in
function luaT_gettm
Warning W8004 lvm.c 289: 'tm' is assigned a value that is never used
in function luaV_equalval
Warning W8004 lparser.c 964: 'lineexp' is assigned a value that is
never used in function whilestat
Warning W8001 lstate.c 103: Superfluous & with function in function
f_luaopen
Warning W8001 lapi.c 684: Superfluous & with function in function
lua_pcall
Warning W8001 lapi.c 718: Superfluous & with function in function
lua_cpcall
Warning W8004 llex.c 205: 'l' is assigned a value that is never used
in function read_numeral
Warning W8071 lstrlib.c 376: Conversion may lose significant digits
in function match

Otherwise looking very good indeed. Thanks.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

> I'm compiling it on a PS2, which has no support for doubles, so I use
> USE_FLOAT to force numbers as single precision floats.  This gives many
> compiler warnings about conversion from int to float, which I have to add
> explicit casts to lua_number to get rid of.

Can you send us these warnings? Thanks,

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

> Is the documentation in it's final state?

It should be.

> I miss the documentation of some api functions...

Which ones?

Re: lua.spec for rpm building (was Re: Lua 5.0 ...)

Roger D. Vargas
El Martes 01 Abril 2003 20:27, Bennett Todd escribió:
> I've no idea whether you've any interest in including a spec file
> for automatic rpm building in the distrib or not, but if you do,
> this might be a convenient starting point; it's continued to work
> with little change for me for a while.

Would be nice to have an "official" rpm package.

--
Roger D. Vargas
ICQ: 117641572
Henry Ford

Re: lua.spec for rpm building (was Re: Lua 5.0 ...)

Daniel Silverstone
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 07:56:25AM -0500, Roger D. Vargas wrote:
> El Martes 01 Abril 2003 20:27, Bennett Todd escribió:
> > I've no idea whether you've any interest in including a spec file
> > for automatic rpm building in the distrib or not, but if you do,
> > this might be a convenient starting point; it's continued to work
> > with little change for me for a while.
> Would be nice to have an "official" rpm package.

Hi,

In my opinion, and the opinion of thousands of other developers and
users around the world -- the official source tarball of a package is
explicitly *NOT* the correct place for distribution specific packaging
information.

If a Red Hat user wants to install Lua from source, they should use a
source-rpm which will have been built by someone who understands and
cares about the packaging requirements for Red Hat. Ditto SuSE, Mandrake
etc.etc.

If tecgraf put a spec file into the Lua tarball, then this will result
in lower-quality packages for linux distributions based on RPM, unless
tecgraf are willing to put in the effort to maintain the spec files as
Red Hat evolves.

Other useful examples here include Debian, for which a Red Hat spec file
is useless, and the presence of the debian build information in the
upstream package would all but prevent a debian maintainer from
packaging Lua in any way other than that which was specified in the
tarball. This is plainly folly.

The "correct" thing to do is to harness the power of the Lua community
to provide things like spec files etc on the lua-users.org site and (if
necessary) to offer tarballs of Lua with the spec files rolled in.

As the Debian maintainer for Lua, I shall be packaging Lua 5.0 for
Debian, in accordance with the Debian policies and such a policy
prevents me from removing files from the upstream tarball. If litter for
different distributions was in the tarball, then that litter would end
up on millions of debian machines around the world quite unnecessarily.

And of course, this also applies for people using Windows, EPOC or QNX;
for whom a spec file is useless too.

I hope that I don't sound too ranty, but I am apalled by the general
attitude of people who want to save five minutes now, without realising
the cost  - for it *will* run into hours, or days, at a later date, and
perhaps more importantly, most likely for other people.

I shall now hide again and watch the flak come in ;-)

Daniel.

--
Daniel Silverstone                               http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Hostmaster, Webmaster, and Chief Code Wibbler          Digital-Scurf Unlimited
You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.

Re: lua.spec for rpm building (was Re: Lua 5.0 ...)

>In my opinion, and the opinion of thousands of other developers and
>users around the world -- the official source tarball of a package is
>explicitly *NOT* the correct place for distribution specific packaging
>information.

On a related note, the Makefile now contains the targets "echo" and "lecho",
which show the current make configuration both as make code and as Lua code.
We hope this is useful for packagers.

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Benoit Germain
compiling for Xbox raises the following error:

w:\lua-5.0\src\lib\loadlib.c(88) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory

Indeed, the Xbox SDK doesn't have a windows.h, and I don't know of any
special preprocessor directive that the compiler defines that could enable
target identification in that particular case.
Trying to include xtl.h, the master header file for xbox projects, raises
other errors that make me think a specific implementation need be written
and the win32 code is not usable.

Not that I think I'm going to need that particular library though.

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

>w:\lua-5.0\src\lib\loadlib.c(88) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
>file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
>
>Indeed, the Xbox SDK doesn't have a windows.h

But somehow one of these are defined: _WIN32, __WIN32__ , WIN32.
We thought these identified Windows systems and no others...
Is your code somehow defining them?

>Not that I think I'm going to need that particular library though.

So define USE_LOADLIB to be 0.

Thanks for the report.

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Benoit Germain
It looks like the Xbox compiler defines _WIN32, but defines none of XBOX
xbox Xbox XBox _XBOX _Xbox _XBox _xbox __XBOX__ __xbox__ __Xbox__ __XBox__

>w:\lua-5.0\src\lib\loadlib.c(88) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
>file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
>
>Indeed, the Xbox SDK doesn't have a windows.h

But somehow one of these are defined: _WIN32, __WIN32__ , WIN32.
We thought these identified Windows systems and no others...
Is your code somehow defining them?

>Not that I think I'm going to need that particular library though.

So define USE_LOADLIB to be 0.

Thanks for the report.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

Martin Spernau
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

w:\lua-5.0\src\lib\loadlib.c(88) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory

Indeed, the Xbox SDK doesn't have a windows.h

But somehow one of these are defined: _WIN32, __WIN32__ , WIN32.
We thought these identified Windows systems and no others...
Is your code somehow defining them?
If I'm not mistaken, the Xbox OS is an 'embedded' winXP, so I'd expect it to define _WIN32 or similar
-Martin

Not that I think I'm going to need that particular library though.

So define USE_LOADLIB to be 0.

Thanks for the report.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Lua 5.0 (pre-release) now available

mnicolet
I compiled the pre-release version using Watcom 10.6 on QNX 4.25 ( no shared
libs ).
After relevant changes to config, it compiled without trouble.
Exception was the print_usage function in lua.c.
The question is that stdlib.h ( Watcom´s or QNX´s version, at least )
declares it
as
void print_usage( char ** );
and Watcom ( thanks them ! ), even if compiling C code, marks args or return
types
differences as errors.
The answer was simple: capitalize the function name in lua.c. That was not a
lot of work.
I am trying now to ´diff´ every module against lua-5.0-alpha to learn about
what and how changed,
pointing to adequate luapi.
> A pre-release of Lua 5.0 (final) is now available for downloading at
>         http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.0.tar.gz
>
> This is a pre-release because we have made several changes in config and
> Makefile since Lua 5.0 (beta) and would like to test them before freezing
the
> package. So, please download and compile it, taking some time to read
config,
> and let us know if there are any compilation problems (or bugs in the
code!).

> The tarbal includes an updated reference manual in HTML, but no indices.
> A complete manual in HTML and a PDF version will be available on the site
> when Lua 5.0 final is released.
>
> If no installation problems are found and reported in a week or so, we'll
> release Lua 5.0 final.
>
> Thanks for your help and patience.
> --lhf

123